Should Tua be redshirted?

rtrbama1

1st Team
May 31, 2015
Assuming Hurts keeps the starting job and doesn't get injured, should they just redshirt Tua and let Mac Jones handle all the mop-up snaps? I'm also assuming Tua won't transfer at that idea. LOL

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The best possible scenario I can imagine, is for a graduate transfer to come in and take those mop-up snaps. Mac doesn't seem ready, and Tua while showing flashes of brilliance might not be either. A graduate transfer would give a veteran presence at the position and allow for mop-up duty without burning a redshirt.

Having said that, that requires three things basically. A: It couldn't interfere with any promises Saban might have made, B: It requires a free scholarship, and C: It requires a graduate transfer that could fill that role. But, that's the ideal scenario in my mind. If something were to happen to Hurts, for instance causing him to miss multiple games, then I think taking the redshirt off Tua could become the best choice. But, using up a year of his eligibility in mop-up duty? I'd just hate to see that and it seems to me it would just up the chances that Tua transfers (basically putting him in a win the starting job or transfer position).

As of right now though, given the options, Tua is the #2 and he won't be able to redshirt.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Given we didn't see any walk-on QBs such as Montana Murphy, I think it is pretty clear that Tagovailoa is going to be the backup quarterback and receive a fair number of snaps if we blow people out frequently.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Now, there's a chance that Tua will be #2, but Mac Jones take snaps... Or if the new redshirt rules apply, Tua/Jones can play up to 4 games and then get redshirt.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Don't mean anything at all. We have a kicker coming in the fall, so for all we know they could put someone different there... who knows.
I get the feeling that in the very least they promised Tua a shot in the spring. Let him do all the things a QB does and make a run at the starting job. To go in with only 3 QBs, without a plan B to having true freshman QBs as backups doesn't just show a lot of confidence in those freshmen, it also seems like the sort of thing you might guarantee them to insure they signed. Now, for all I know that might extend into the season. I always felt like 3 scholarship QBs isn't enough, I've seen 3 get hurt before, we saw a situation last year where they started with 4, and there became a discussion of whether or not Stewart could play QB (if Hurts was injured, since Cornwell was hurt and Bateman could have transferred before the championship game). I just can't imagine that Saban considers it ideal to only have 3 scholarship QBs and only true freshmen providing depth at the position, so it seems to be some part of this in the least had to do with securing those guys.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Never know when you may need to go with the backup. The goal every season is to win a championship. I'd rather have someone ready to take over if we had to go there. I'm sure Tua is a team guy but i doubt he came to Bama to sit on the bench while a grad transfer comes in to be our #2 but who knows.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I have suggested the same thing as Krazy. But will you find someone willing to come here and do nothing but mop up with almost zero chance of starting?

On the plus side, you get your MBA paid for and you can put Nick Saban as a reference on your resume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
No

Play tua in relief to prepare him in case we do need him. Don't worry too much about 2019 in 2017.

Mac jones needs a redshirt. Tua needs time to adjust to the speed of sec defenses, only real way to do that is to get some time against them. He will develop better on the field.

Not only is it good for tua, but also for jalen. We won't have to keep jalen in games when we are up by multiple scores just to maintain the lead like we did last year after Barnette ran away 4 games in. Jalen also seems to respond well to having a backup who can push him to succeed, the same reason he plays better after a mistake. Or struggled against clemsons d for the whole second half only to turn it on when we were down.

Red shirting tua would be bad for tua, bad for Mac jones if he wee to have to take hits at his current size, and bad for jalen and maybe even our wr core, who may be as many as 7 to 9 quality guys deep once ruggs and smith are added to the roster.

And if we had room for a grad transfer, A. Byers would be joining the team in the fall. There's no more room, for scholarships without further transfers from the roster. And if they ARE looking for a graduate transfer right now he better be able to play d line or kick a field goal.

Last edited:

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
I also fee that if any qb we had on the roster a year ago, NOT named right jalen hurts, was our starter going into 2017, tua would win that job eventually, even from Barnette. Just no reason to keep tua on the sideline late in blowout games.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
If any promise were made to Tua, it was a chance to compete. Saban has said over and over he doesn't offer PT, ever...
Agreed...but if CNS can find a way to redshirt Tua just 1 of the next two years -- assuming JH leaves early...then the problem is solved and Tua will have 3 years to start, just like JH.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Nope, I would not redshirt him. This team will be special, could win it all. Hurts needs a backup. Get Tua as many reps as possible. Just a bad case of stomach flu could put it on his shoulders. He is talented, but let's be honest, he could have easily had more picks than TDs on Saturday. And get a right tackle who can protect him.

Redshirt Jones, he needs to put on some weight to survive in the sec, any way.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think the best we can hope for is that Tua is the #2 QB if Jalen were to go down but have another QB take garbage time reps. But I don't see that happening. Mac Jones is definitely going to red shirt based on A Day so we might be out of luck.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If any promise were made to Tua, it was a chance to compete. Saban has said over and over he doesn't offer PT, ever...
And in response to Coach Saban's "policy" about not offering PT. Tua and his family had to make some decisions BEFORE deciding to uproot across the planet to Tuscaloosa.

I have a hard time believing Tua and his family put all their eggs in one basket and if Tua doesn't win the starting job this season he's leaving.

Yet on the other hand, I also have a hard time believing they moved "halfway around the world" only to have to watch their son ride the bench three years before playing.

To me the only two options that make moving across the planet worth it is:

*He wins the job and plays immediately

*If that doesn't happen he redshirts and pretty much is ensured being the starter for two years possibly three.

What are your thoughts on this Earle? You got a feel for this situation or maybe hear any rumblings?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.