Question: Recruiting Concerns & Questions
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Big A Recruiting Concerns & Questions

If you look at the past two years UA has had a lot of coaching turnover, particularly month those who were really good recruiters. We have had unprecedented success -- topping out in this last year's class which is the strongest since people started tracking such.

However, now we are finding commitments coming in very slowly. Is this a trend or are we just taking our time and getting new coaches up to speed? I don't think we have to have the top rated class every year...but we do need to keep bringing in top rated players.

When Coach Bryant started downhill it was in recruiting -- other teams were using his age against him. I imagine that has already happened with CNS.

Without hitting the panic button, can anyone this side of Jam help us understand what is going on...are we losing recruits or are we just being patient? I know this streak will not last forever, but I was hoping for 4-5 more years.
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Re: Recruiting Concerns & Questions

How many spots do we have open next year?

I counted 19 with Ridley, Harrison, Bo, Payne and Minkah coming out early

We may be less aggressive with fewer spots.

I may be counting wrong.
    Last edited by CajunCrimson; April 23rd, 2017 at 10:18 PM.
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

I'm thinking we will be in the top 5 again this year, not sure if we will be #1 because of the scholly numbers but I'm believing that we will feel all of our needs.

If we hold onto Jarez Parks, and I really hope we do, he will count towards next year. So down to 18. He really wants to come to Bama, but Mia, FSU, and awburn are all pushing him hard.
    I remember '66

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by BigGunn View Post
    If we hold onto Jarez Parks, and I really hope we do, he will count towards next year. So down to 18. He really wants to come to Bama, but Mia, FSU, and awburn are all pushing him hard.
    I would be surprised if the coaches aren`t in very regular contact with Mr. Parks.

BamaNation All-American

IMO it`s going to be interesting to watch how the combo of a smaller number of available schollies and the early signing period impact this class.

BamaNation All-American CHATTBRIT's Avatar

It doesn't really bother me that we have just 3 commits so far. I believe the ones that commit in their senior year are more likely to stick than those who commit earlier and are caught up by the recruitment itself without too much thought or parental input.
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag

I got a breakdown of what the staff's plan is for this upcoming cycle. There will be heavy emphasis on the fronts on both sides. Looks like we're taking only 1 QB. More than anything, our evaluations have to be better. We have whiffed on JUCO offensive linemen about 4 times in the past 6 years (one we had no control over in the kid passing away, but while Jackson was solid in the run game, he was a liability in pass pro. Carpenter was the same way. Scared me half to death with the speed rush. And he's the only one that I would say we've hit on). It doesn't look like the JUCO OL that we just brought in will not be a major contributor this coming season. The one that came in last year didn't make it past spring. Time to just get guys out of high school & develop them.

Isaiah Buggs will help to mask a lot of misses and missteps we made with the last cycle. There are at least 3 top 100 guys at other schools who wanted to be here but wound up elsewhere because we made some mistakes in recruiting. Cannot/will not go into details. The talent is there on our DL right now. But the depth of say, a couple years ago, is not...not even close. We may have 4.5 guys who are ready. And that 0.5 is Buggs. Motor, effort, talent is there. Coaches are putting in OT with him to make sure the mental part is there. And I'm not saying he's not smart, but for example, if you watched the Film Room with Ryan Anderson breaking down the TAMU game, they showed a play where he & Jon Allen communicated with one another without saying a word and they knew exactly what the play was based on the tells that the OT gave them. Guys like Hand know that because he's been here for 4 years. Trying to get Buggs up to speed on that, because we will definitely need him.

And to the point of whether we are declining in recruiting, don't worry. It is common for us to have silent commits from top 100 players (we, in fact, got a silent commit this weekend at A-Day from a top 20 player), and the coaching staff asks them to hold off on it to announce at these events. It promotes the program, etc.

So no worries. You're right, it won't last forever. But as long as that short guy is over there and he's healthy, it's not slowing down any time soon.
    Last edited by WMack4Bama; April 24th, 2017 at 01:21 PM.
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by WMack4Bama View Post
    And to the point of whether we are declining in recruiting, don't worry. It is common for us to have silent commits from top 100 players (we, in fact, got a silent commit this weekend at A-Day from a top 20 player), and the coaching staff asks them to hold off on it to announce at these events. It promotes the program, etc.

So no worries. You're right, it won't last forever. But as long as that short guy is over there and he's healthy, it's not slowing down any time soon.
    And to add, other SEC schools do not have many commits either. LSWho has 3, GA 3, Ark 4, Barn 6, FLA 6 so no need to panic and we will end up with a top 2-3 class. IIRC, the smallest signing class Coach Saban has had is 21 so I would expect at least this many in this class no matter what the math happens to be.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Matt Muscova said LSU had 16 commits as of this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    Matt Muscova said LSU had 16 commits as of this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They got a nice haul this past weekend. Ed O is gonna buy good groceries for Aranda & Canada to cook with. I mean premiere groceries. But Les's grocery shopping wasn't so shabby either. It all comes down to them properly evaluating and developing a competent QB.
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

We might have 19 scholarship give or take, but You never know who's gonna be on the roster in the fall...
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*