Question: Recruiting Concerns & Questions

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
As a newbie to this forum, why is there seemingly no apprehension from Tide fans as to the 2018 recruits? At this popular “ 247 Sports” website( link below), Alabama is a no show for the top 50- in contrast, Ohio, Clemson, et al appear to be raking them in. What, me worry?

http://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=highschool
We have four and five star prospects calling us now...

We can afford to be picky... and we are!

Ain't it great to be us? :cool2:

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I'm not ready to nail the panic button for 2018 but I have to admit I've noticed it out of the corner of my eye a few times. But can someone explain to me how in Gods name Baylor has 13 commitments (ranked 10th). I mean they shouldn't even have a football program in my opinion.

By the way we are ranked behind Vandy. Someone should call them cause this doesn't happen very often in football.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
EVERYONE wants to be in our position right now!!

Coach Saban has it all under control! :cool2:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Alabama doesn't have many available scholarships. Going solely off recruiting classes and two announced walk-ons getting scholarships (Levi Wallace and Jamey Mosley), I have 88 guys on scholarship. That doesn't include the three guys from this past class. With only 14 seniors and around 6 possible early departures, this class isn't going to be very big.

The staff is going to have to be patient and very meticulous in finding players.

Is it frustrating? Yes.

Is it irritating to not have 10+ guys in this class like we normally do? No doubt.

We just have to be patient.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Alabama doesn't have many available scholarships. Going solely off recruiting classes and two announced walk-ons getting scholarships (Levi Wallace and Jamey Mosley), I have 88 guys on scholarship. That doesn't include the three guys from this past class. With only 14 seniors and around 6 possible early departures, this class isn't going to be very big.

The staff is going to have to be patient and very meticulous in finding players.

Is it frustrating? Yes.

Is it irritating to not have 10+ guys in this class like we normally do? No doubt.

We also must note that our depth is now scaring some recruits away...West of Saraland and Joiner of Mt. Brook are just 2 of several from Alabama who are probably going other places. Even 3 years ago that would not have happened. No time to panic...but CNS and staff must be very precise in their evaluations and handling of recruits/players. Mistakes now will show up in 3 years...but our coach knows all this better than any of us.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We also must note that our depth is now scaring some recruits away...West of Saraland and Joiner of Mt. Brook are just 2 of several from Alabama who are probably going other places. Even 3 years ago that would not have happened. No time to panic...but CNS and staff must be very precise in their evaluations and handling of recruits/players. Mistakes now will show up in 3 years...but our coach knows all this better than any of us.
IIRC, Bama is recruiting Joiner as something other than RB at the moment. That's why he's not big on Bama.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
How Alabama Could Realistically End Up with #1 Recruiting Class

I will start off by saying I think it's unlikely that Alabama repeats as recruiting champions in 2018. I think certainly a top 10, if not five class, is much more within reason at the moment.

With that being said, Alabama recruits better than most, so to say the chances of going on a major run from where the program is now to where it will be in February 2018, wouldn't be an unwarranted statement.

The Tide currently sits at No. 63 right behind Western Michigan, Toledo, and Houston. With Nick Saban announcing Alabama will sign 22 in the class, plus the three from 2017 -- Jarez Parks, Joseph Bulovas, and Hunter Brannon -- we take a look at a realistic list of 22 names that could get the Tide in contention for No. 1. Keep in mind for some of the names on the list, momentum would have to change with where their recruitments sit now -- something the Tide has shown it's capable of doing, especially in the summer months. Also, it would be easy to throw Trevor Lawrence or Xavier Thomas in and predict the top class once again. As the title suggests, however, this is a realistic breakdown.

This projection scores a 306.39. Alabama's last three top-ranked classes have averaged a total 311. Of course rankings are always adjusted, and not every recruit currently committed will stay committed, making it more difficult to project what another program's score, like Ohio State's, will look like down the road.

Keep in mind this is more for fun than anything.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Something about which I`ve often wondered. It`s amazing to me that this hasn`t apparently had an impact before now. Certainly not complaining mind you, but I just don`t see how this stockpiling of 4 and 5* talent, year after year, can`t begin to have an effect.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Is it frustrating? Yes.

Coach Saban said we would have 22 schollies for the 2018 class.

We had 5 commitments at this same time last year and we got 10 commits in June/July. The floodgates will open up soon.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Coach Saban said we would have 22 schollies for the 2018 class.
I remember him saying that now. There's one caveat to the numbers I posted - Holcombe could be on the Bryant Scholarship. Other than that, there's no telling how the numbers work.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
The depth issue is relative to position. We do have a lot of paper talent at most positions, but that is not the case at DL and DB. DB looks especially thin next season, I expect Harrison and Fitzpatrick may go and Hootie Jones, Tony Brown, Anthony Averett and Levi Wallace are all seniors this year. That leaves exactly Zero DB's who have played meaningful snaps at this point. Hopefully some will get those snaps this year and be more ready to step up but I'd say a top DB has a very good chance of getting a starting spot in the fall of 2018. On the DL we have only one player who is a star at this point and that is Payne and this will likely be his last season. We have some other guys who may turn out good but we will have to see it on the field in 2017.

They could sign nothing but DB's and DL's and I'd think this class would be great.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It looks like we are pushing Tuttle to flip from Utah. We got a CB earlier today and I have seen a few premium headlines saying we are pushing for a high profile QB flip. He is a pro style QB from Cali. Our track record with Cali QB's has not been good. Here is his profile.

http://247sports.com/Player/Jack-Tuttle-90176
He appears to be the main target, and we look in good shape. BOL reported a few weeks ago he was given a committable offer before throwing at camp (one of Saban's requirements). That should not be taken to mean he's an unbelievable talent. Just that he's clearly the main target.

The depth issue is relative to position. We do have a lot of paper talent at most positions, but that is not the case at DL and DB. DB looks especially thin next season, I expect Harrison and Fitzpatrick may go and Hootie Jones, Tony Brown, Anthony Averett and Levi Wallace are all seniors this year. That leaves exactly Zero DB's who have played meaningful snaps at this point. Hopefully some will get those snaps this year and be more ready to step up but I'd say a top DB has a very good chance of getting a starting spot in the fall of 2018. On the DL we have only one player who is a star at this point and that is Payne and this will likely be his last season. We have some other guys who may turn out good but we will have to see it on the field in 2017.

They could sign nothing but DB's and DL's and I'd think this class would be great.
Shy Carter, Aaron Robinson, and Diggs each had meaningful snaps last year.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Check this link: http://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

Why is everyone on this forum so seemingly unruffled that we are invisible in our '18 recruiting? Look at the Ohio and Clemson 2018 class, plus the "predictions" for the top 50 presently uncommitted, and the outlook is disheartening. Can Saban save the day, I'm doubtful?
Because these rankings will change and we will end up with a bunch of top 100 and 250 players and end up with a top 3 class. We will get some and we will flip some. Using the word invisible at this point is not a very good way to put it. We only had 5 at this point last year and we ended up with the #1 class. Relax and enjoy the next 6-8 months.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Check this link: http://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

Why is everyone on this forum so seemingly unruffled that we are invisible in our '18 recruiting? Look at the Ohio and Clemson 2018 class, plus the "predictions" for the top 50 presently uncommitted, and the outlook is disheartening. Can Saban save the day, I'm doubtful?
Run away...run away! The sky is falling! All is lost! Saban has lost his touch! The dynasty is over! DuBosian times are coming!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.