2018 Stars: Who will be the stars going into next season

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Most of us here could list the entire roster of scholarship players and probably most of the walk-ons. We live Bama football year round here. But, alas, not all fans are on our level. Each year there is a group of players that EVERY SEC fan knows and most media members and hard core football fans of other teams even know. These players are future early round draft picks and top 5 at there position in CFB. These are the guys I'm calling the stars. Last year we had Allen, Humphrey, Eddie, Ridley, Foster, Williams, CamRob, etc. This year we have Jalen, Minkah, Ridley, Jonah, Averett, Bo, and a few others.

My question is who you all believe it will be next year? I don't want to count guys like Hand who are likely not returning next year. So, I want to focus on players who in all likely hood will be back next year. I also want to avoid guys like Hurts who are already stars or at least close to it. Below is my list of some potential stars this time next year (no particular order).

1. Jeudy - I know most have heard of him and this isn't very bold but good god. He might be the best TF WR we have had under Saban.

2. Jacobs - Again, I know most have heard of him but I think he is a little underappreciated because of the bigger names that bracket him on the depth chart. (don't worry I'll get more bold)

3. Terrell Hall - did you see that pick 6? That's all that needs to be said.

4. Levi Wallace - I have a feeling he might end up playing across from Averett. Diggs really struggled with the deep ball and that's how you get benched.

5. Trevon Diggs - While I think Wallace starts I think Diggs finds a role somewhere on the team and makes a big impact. Maybe as a return man?

EDIT: I also think Irv Smith Jr. is a star but with the Depth at TE he might have to wait a little.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Jeudy has Amari Cooper potential written all over him!

I think TJ Simmons will turn into our next Adarius Stewart

N. Harris is a convenient pick to turn into a star.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
LOL - Najee. If he gets enough reps to learn to block this year, he will be your #1 guy next year. He looks like an NFL RB already.
I don't know why I didn't put Najee on my original list. He clearly is a stud, that spin move on his first carry and his leaping ability...Wow

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I just have to say it is weird to me to see anyone say something like "Jeudy might be the best TF WR we have had under Saban."

Because, you know: Julio Jones 2008, Amari Cooper 2012, Calvin Ridley 2015. But hey, I'll be more than happy if you are right. :)

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I just have to say it is weird to me to see anyone say something like "Jeudy might be the best TF WR we have had under Saban."

Because, you know: Julio Jones 2008, Amari Cooper 2012, Calvin Ridley 2015. But hey, I'll be more than happy if you are right. :)
I think he might be a little better than Cooper and Ridley because he seems more physical. Julio is a different beast all together but I can see Jeudy being more refined as a Freshman than Julio. Also, I said might for a reason haha

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I think he might be a little better than Cooper and Ridley because he seems more physical. Julio is a different beast all together but I can see Jeudy being more refined as a Freshman than Julio. Also, I said might for a reason haha
I dunno man. In this freshman highlight reel Cooper looks pretty physical to me.

https://youtu.be/iQ3qQe99Rbg

(Sorry, I'm on Tapatalk and their video encoder is stupid so you may have to copy paste the link)

I could see Jeudy being a bit better than Ridley but Cooper was unbelievable as a freshman and then ended going, like, #4 overall or something? Jeudy looked good but that is a steep mountain to climb and with so much talent in front of him (considering they perform as they should) I don't know if he has the same caliber freshman season.

I also get that you said "might". ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I think you missed on Amari but you may be right on Ridley. Amari is a freak both physically and athletically. Jeudy needs to post some serious numbers before I say he is better than Amari.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I dunno man. In this freshman highlight reel Cooper looks pretty physical to me.

https://youtu.be/iQ3qQe99Rbg

(Sorry, I'm on Tapatalk and their video encoder is stupid so you may have to copy paste the link)

I could see Jeudy being a bit better than Ridley but Cooper was unbelievable as a freshman and then ended going, like, #4 overall or something? Jeudy looked good but that is a steep mountain to climb and with so much talent in front of him (considering they perform as they should) I don't know if he has the same caliber freshman season.

I also get that you said "might". ;)

Yea, don't get me wrong. I fully appreciate how good Ridley, Cooper and Julio were as freshman. But man did you see that sideline catch by Jeudy? The important point is that the kid is special.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think you missed on Amari but you may be right on Ridley. Amari is a freak both physically and athletically. Jeudy needs to post some serious numbers before I say he is better than Amari.
Well, again. That's why I said might. I actually think we will never know because it will be harder for him than it was for Cooper or Ridley to crack the rotation with the speedy Foster ahead of him.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
To answer the original question I think Najee Harris is a star by the end of the season. Not sure Scarborough can stay healthy and not sure if Damien Harris can do enough to keep his reps from getting absorbed by Jacobs and Najee. It's an embarrassment of riches back there and Najee looked to have the tools to be a true star.

You know how some people are commenting on Tua's ability to rifle the ball or show finesse on his passes? That's how I felt about Najee's running style. I saw him get slippery when folk got their hands on him from bad tackling angles, I saw him shake and bake and hurdle and use raw power to push a pile of defenders forward.

In a weird way he reminds me of Eddie Lacy. Lacy had that odd ability to be slippery where guys just couldn't wrap him up and would seemingly slide off of him at odd angles, but he could also spin better than almost any player I've ever seen and then he could outpower any DB he came across and many of the LB's. Najee may have even more of those capabilities.

But this is all very premature and depends on Najee building on the glimpses of what we saw at A-Day.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.