LePen & Macron in runoff after 1st round of elections in France

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: LePen & Macron in run off after 1st round of elections in France

Goodness, sometimes it seems that half the people who post here read everything in absolute terms. SMH

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

Goodness, sometimes it seems that half the people who post here read everything in absolute terms. SMH
And for the record, the French Revolution was similar to our own.
Apologies if I misinterpreted your earlier post. Did you mean that the two revolutions were dissimilar?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

There were important similarities (both revolutions overturned existing governmental arrangements, both reinforced the power of the people to have a say in how their government is ordered), but there are some really significant differences.

The French Revolution established, in turn:
The National Assembly (1789-1791)
The Legislative Assembly (October 1791-August 1792)
The National Convention (Sept. 1792-1795)
The Directory (1795-1799)
The Consulate (1799-1804)
The Empire (1804)
But these were always centralized unified states.

The American revolution was basically a political secession, which established thirteen independent sovereignties, then the Confederation (1781-1789) and the Union (1789-), but left the British government generally intact, (if slightly humbled).

The American Declaration of Independence listed the sixty-five grievances which justified the colonies in their secession. The French Declaration of the Rights of Man was used to justify the political killing of tens of thousands of Frenchmen between 1789 and 1804 and has been used to justify the killing of untold numbers elsewhere since.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

There were important similarities (both revolutions overturned existing governmental arrangements, both reinforced the power of the people to have a say in how their government is ordered),
And that was all I was saying - I did not imply they were identical, I was merely replying to this:
Americans had a revolution due to (in large part relatively small) British taxation. The French protest in the streets to beg for higher taxes.

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

Some polls came out today. Macron's polling +22 in one and +24 in another.
My European friends are not worried about this run-off at all. Trump has poisoned right-wing nationalism on that continent, and it's shown over the past few months; he's so universally disliked that his endorsement of Le Pen was simply a kiss of death.

Europe, however, is upset that the French will be even more insufferable once they can claim political high ground over the Brits and Americans.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Apart from the similarities and dissimilarities of the American and French revolutions, I think Europeans in general trust their governments to be good stewards of tax dollars.

Whether that trust is well-placed or not is an entirely different question.

Americans, on the other hand, generally don't trust the government as far as they could throw Bryant-Denny stadium. And with good cause....regardless of skin color, party, or personal plumbing, very few American elected officials at any level of government have proven worthy of the their office.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Europe, however, is upset that the French will be even more insufferable once they can claim political high ground over the Brits and Americans.
I know that was in blue font, but I am curious how the French could claim the political high ground over the Brits.
The European Union was a voluntary association of nation-states for the benefit of the members. If a member decides that the burdens of membership outweigh the benefits, how does morality enter into that equation? Isn't there a centralization bias in that reasoning? (i.e anything that politically centralizes is good and anything that politically decentralizes is bad?) Just interested in your thinking.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

Macron's French presidential campaign emails leaked online

French presidential candidate Emmanuel Macron's campaign said on Friday it had been the target of a "massive" computer hack that dumped its campaign mails online 1-1/2 days before voters go to the polls to choose between the centrist and his far-right rival Marine Le Pen.
Sounds familiar.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

France has an election news blackout the day before voting. Since the election is Sunday and the leak happened immediately before midnight Friday, no one on French news can talk about this story. Macron is suggesting that some of the documents have been modified, but no news network can talk about that. It can essentially only be discussed in person or on social media, and you know the army of paid Russian trolls will not be sleeping this weekend. As far as Hail Marys go, this was a pretty good one.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

France has an election news blackout the day before voting. Since the election is Sunday and the leak happened immediately before midnight Friday, no one on French news can talk about this story. Macron is suggesting that some of the documents have been modified, but no news network can talk about that. It can essentially only be discussed in person or on social media, and you know the army of paid Russian trolls will not be sleeping this weekend. As far as Hail Marys go, this was a pretty good one.
Yeah, no doubt. Incredible. Considering Macron had a sizable lead before this I suspect he'll still win, but the Russians are pulling out all the stops...

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

Yeah, no doubt. Incredible. Considering Macron had a sizable lead before this I suspect he'll still win, but the Russians are pulling out all the stops...
I mean, why wouldn't they? Literally nothing happened in response the last time they did this.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.