Thanks to walk-ons

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Watching Zavier Mapp in A-day game I thought about what sort of tough individual walks on running back for this team in particular.

That led to thinking that anyone who walks on to a roster as talented as ours has some sort of combination of toughness, desire, and love for the sport that is off the charts.

Thanks for what you do for the Crimson Tide . . . all of you!

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Above average athletic ability and superior heart can take you to the NFL. Just ask Rashad Johnson. Position change? No sweat boss, I'll just slide on over to safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Watching Zavier Mapp in A-day game I thought about what sort of tough individual walks on running back for this team in particular.
Thinking B1G Tide expressed the best compliment in the A-Day game thread (which is the same one that percolated in my own pea brain): "Who is Mapp?" Ran with authority and purpose, and made me want to know the answer to that question, walk-on or five-star notwithstanding.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
In many cases a walk on has more competitive drive and passion for the game than many of your scholarship players. They just aren't quite as physically talented as the guys who were offered schollies. But in their minds that's just a minor setback. They think they are just as good or better than everybody on the team. I have a ton of respect for walk on players. They can be real assets to the team.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
In many cases a walk on has more competitive drive and passion for the game than many of your scholarship players. They just aren't quite as physically talented as the guys who were offered schollies. But in their minds that's just a minor setback. They think they are just as good or better than everybody on the team. I have a ton of respect for walk on players. They can be real assets to the team.
That`s why it`s always heart warming when they earn a spot and see playing time. A Zavier Mapp going down under kicks on special team kick coverage ? Who knows? Personally, I`m pulling for him.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
That's one reason I love going to A-Day. There are some walk-ons that will never end up in a regular game (not insinuating that is the case with Mapp), and A-Day represents their only chance to step onto the field in front of a crowd. It's easy to think of Alabama football as just a bunch of highly rated recruits, but there are a lot of other important pieces that make up the whole of Alabama football.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm reminded of my coaches back in the day barking about "want-to." Without the effort, talent means nothing.
I'll never forget my college baseball coach having one of the most nuclear meltdowns I've ever witnessed by a coach due to lack of "want-to". We had a few bad practices in a row and in the middle of one of those bad practices he slams his fungo bat on the ground and belts out "Everybody get the {insert bad word here} over here right now!!!!". He then said something that has stuck with me to this day. It applies to sports and life.

I won't go into the entire cuss-down but this one thought/point in particular was very profound to me. "When I have to start coaching effort we've already lost. I should not have to coach effort. When I want to be out here more than you. It's time to do something else."

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I'll never forget my college baseball coach having one of the most nuclear meltdowns I've ever witnessed by a coach due to lack of "want-to". We had a few bad practices in a row and in the middle of one of those bad practices he slams his fungo bat on the ground and belts out "Everybody get the {insert bad word here} over here right now!!!!". He then said something that has stuck with me to this day. It applies to sports and life.

I won't go into the entire cuss-down but this one thought/point in particular was very profound to me. "When I have to start coaching effort we've already lost. I should not have to coach effort. When I want to be out here more than you. It's time to do something else."
Haha. Yep. That tongue lashing sounds very familiar.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.