Running Back Depth and Playing Rotation

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I agree with this 1A/1B and 2A/2B. I would not be surprised to see Emmons redshirt also since he is recovering from injury and it appears we won't need him this year.
I think Emmons is gone. Why stay here? He looked great in limited action last year and vets on the team talked him up at one point so he is clearly good enough to play. I would transfer if I was him.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I think Emmons is gone. Why stay here? He looked great in limited action last year and vets on the team talked him up at one point so he is clearly good enough to play. I would transfer if I was him.
He could but there is a chance both Bo and Damien will declare at the end of this year (I feel certain Bo will unless he is injured). I believe BJ got a medical last year and if he redshirts this year he would be a 3rd year freshman in 2018 and would eventually get in the rotation if he recovers from his injury. Depends on how competitive and determined he is.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I read a story about his injury that said it is possible he could be done playing anywhere. I certainly hope that's not the case because he seems very talented. Hopefully he won't transfer but I would certainly understand if he did.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
If healthy, BJ is more than capable of competing for playing time at RB. Another option might be to move him to DB where he also played in HS. Many coaches up here think he was even better on that side of the ball. Also, don't forget he had earned the KOR duties before he got hurt.
Healthy is the key word with his injury.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
If healthy, BJ is more than capable of competing for playing time at RB. Another option might be to move him to DB where he also played in HS. Many coaches up here think he was even better on that side of the ball. Also, don't forget he had earned the KOR duties before he got hurt.
Exactly. BJ was the #1 RB coming out of the class of 2016 and if he gets healthy he will get touches.

Bamamax1

Scout Team
Jan 10, 2017
I was excited to see Tua hit Najee on that little flare route out of the back field several times! Of course, it was this route that got intercepted and returned for a TD too with that great play!

I hope we see the running back screen game return to our arsenal as well (remember AJ to TJ against LSU???).

Since nobody has taken a stab at this, I'll offer my guess for FSU:

1. BS and DH as 1a and 1b
2. Jacobs
3. Harris - this is assuming he picks up blocking assignments.
4. Emmons and Robinson - listing Emmons here because he's more of an unknown right now because of injury
The pick 6 off the play could have been tipped off by Saban
Watch the view from the defense you'll see him wave his hand towards the play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
In any case the Vegas odds are that none of the freshman see PT against Florida State, gotta know if they can take a hit without fumbling first.
I'd definitely take the over on that one. Najee will see the field in the first half.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
He could but there is a chance both Bo and Damien will declare at the end of this year (I feel certain Bo will unless he is injured). I believe BJ got a medical last year and if he redshirts this year he would be a 3rd year freshman in 2018 and would eventually get in the rotation if he recovers from his injury. Depends on how competitive and determined he is.
I agree Bo is gone after this year. I would be mildly surprised if Harris goes but even then that leaves Jacobs and possibly Najee ahead of him.

I read a story about his injury that said it is possible he could be done playing anywhere. I certainly hope that's not the case because he seems very talented. Hopefully he won't transfer but I would certainly understand if he did.
That would be awful. Talented kid.

That's kind of my point. He is a really talented kid but has a lot of really talented kids in front of him. Bo, Harris, Jacobs and now possibly Najee? What would need to happen for him to get real playing time? He is already at a disadvantage because of his injury.

I'd definitely take the over on that one. Najee will see the field in the first half.
Assuming Bo, Harris and Jacobs are all healthy I don't think there is anyway we see Najee in the first half. I would be shocked.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I agree Bo is gone after this year. I would be mildly surprised if Harris goes but even then that leaves Jacobs and possibly Najee ahead of him.

That's kind of my point. He is a really talented kid but has a lot of really talented kids in front of him. Bo, Harris, Jacobs and now possibly Najee? What would need to happen for him to get real playing time? He is already at a disadvantage because of his injury.

Assuming Bo, Harris and Jacobs are all healthy I don't think there is anyway we see Najee in the first half. I would be shocked.
Najee will see the field in the first half. It might be on special teams, but he'll be on the field in the first half.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Najee will see the field in the first half. It might be on special teams, but he'll be on the field in the first half.
I think we'll see him in the backfield a few times too! CNS always gets a few dynamic freshmen into the rotation and I'd be shocked if that's not the case against FSU.

I could really see him coming in to run one of those designed flare passes out of the backfield to get him out in the flats one on one with a linebacker.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think we'll see him in the backfield a few times too! CNS always gets a few dynamic freshmen into the rotation and I'd be shocked if that's not the case against FSU.

I could really see him coming in to run one of those designed flare passes out of the backfield to get him out in the flats one on one with a linebacker.
You want to see his decision as to whether to run over the LB or break his ankles. As with Henry, he's about LB size. That can't be pleasant to see coming...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
In another thread, someone made a good point. We very well could use Bo and DH less in most games in order to save them for the "bigger" games. Would make sense given both's injury history.

I see three tiers among the six guys:

1A/1B - Bo and DH
2A/2B - Jacobs and Najee
3A/3B - Emmons and Robinson

Bo and Damien will be the featured backs with Jacobs and Najee be the first to give either breathers. Robinson seems to be likely to redshirt, but who knows. He might not. Emmons is still unknown at the point based on his injury last year.
I tend to agree with this assessment and feel like the first four you mentioned are likely to get the most carries. I hate it for him, but BJ didn't really get all that many attempts last year and needing two surgeries certainly can't have helped. It seems like Najee will likely sneak past him.

It's really hard to speculate though, considering the top four running backs all got banged up last season. For all this debate, it might very well just be whoever is healthy. Every running back on that list is probably capable of getting the job done.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
The pick 6 off the play could have been tipped off by Saban
Watch the view from the defense you'll see him wave his hand towards the play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may be wrong but it appeared he was telling Dylan Moses he was not lined up correctly. It may have tipped the play but you can see Dylan move to his left when Saban yells and motions.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I understand all that but does Emmons leave because he is 3rd on the depth chart in a couple of years? By his junior year he could be the starter or #2. Not every kid looks at it as they have to start and/or play a lot their first 2-3 years on campus.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I understand all that but does Emmons leave because he is 3rd on the depth chart in a couple of years? By his junior year he could be the starter or #2. Not every kid looks at it as they have to start and/or play a lot their first 2-3 years on campus.
True. But rarely does a player who was very highly regarded at a skill position wait to see if he will maybe get a chance. We are also bringing in the #1 RB in HS almost every year now (or at least it feels like it) so the number of players he is competing against might not even go down. I have no idea what Emmons thinks of all of this and its possible he thinks differently, but if I was a talented and highly regarded recruit and found myself behind a lot of talented players I would transfer.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

No doubt about it...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.