Republicans Want to Exempt Their Insurance Coverage from the Proposed New Plan

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Given the effect it looks like this is going to have on the cost of pregnancy, I'm glad the wife and I are in the home stretch.
I'm glad that I had my children back when I had actual insurance coverage. With each one, we paid a deductible of $250. Today, we'd pay a minimum of 10 times that amount per child.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
All this wasted energy over something the federal government has been business being involved with in the first place. I recently read where California is looking to go single payer. Everything is "free," even for illegals. There won't even be any co-pays. I think that's a monumentally dumb plan, but it doesn't concern me. If that's what Californians want, more power to them. If I lived there and found the cost of all this free stuff too much, I'd just move. Having dumb plans like Obamacare or the GOP alternative .... there's no escape short of leaving the country. And only the Hollywood crowd after a bad election result does that.
Seems like Vermont studied such a plan already. But maybe California has a secret stash of cash somewhere.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I honestly believe that the passage of this bill into law would be the longterm death knell for healthcare via private insurance. Once people suffer like this bill would cause a large cross-section of Americans to suffer, there will be a reckoning with politicians and the end result in private health insurance being pushed out of basic healthcare in favor of a subsidized government model. If they're lucky, those companies will be allowed to operate in the fashion AFLAC does and provide additive coverage to basic healthcare.

Frankly in the case of healthcare, I think it will be cheaper for the American people and a positive for our economy to destroy a private business sector. I do not say that lightly because once it happens it will be very hard to greatly change the arrangement ever again. We already spend more public taxpayer money on healthcare by percentage of the GDP than Canada, Britain, France, and Germany who all have federalized health systems of differing styles and degrees. I think part of the reason why is because of our mixed insurance/government model to healthcare. Remove the private profit interest, let the government dictate what services rendered are worth and take over basic health services...leave the complicated stuff and research to for-profit hospitals that receive subsidies. I genuinely think it will be a net positive for our country because it would eliminate the massive personal debt caused by medical expenses thus allowing more purchasing power.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Seems like Vermont studied such a plan already. But maybe California has a secret stash of cash somewhere.
California would be one of the largest economies in the world as their own country and they don't have to wholly fund their own self-defense (but they do have one of the largest national guards in the country).

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
California would be one of the largest economies in the world as their own country and they don't have to wholly fund their own self-defense (but they do have one of the largest national guards in the country).
CA already lives on the financial edge. Hence my comment.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Honestly, I think ending the student loan model and private healthcare insurance are likely simply because they have become such a huge hinderance to purchasing power in this nation. Banks are going to push the jubilee-style student loan forgiveness in a decade or so because people my age and younger simply aren't going to be buying enough automobiles and houses.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I imagine that the student loan bailout will come once whatever grift banks like SoFi and others are peddling with student loans consolidation leads to a financial crisis.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
There are a lot of dumb criticisms of libertarianism, but this may be one of the dumbest. Individual freedoms, personal responsibility, free market capitalism, private property rights, rule of law, live and let live disposition toward one's neighbors .... that's being a libertarian. None of that describes Somalia.

You find "some" government to be a good thing? Government involvement in health care is not "some" government; it's massive intervention and bureaucracy.
I know, it was and is a joke

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I'm glad that I had my children back when I had actual insurance coverage. With each one, we paid a deductible of $250. Today, we'd pay a minimum of 10 times that amount per child.
We have our third child coming in Septrmber. My other 2 were born in 09 and 11. Cost me $300 per child. This one? $2000.

This bill is a disaster. My daughter is losing her Medicaid disability (another issue/story) in June & now it will be very hard for her to get coverage. I'm hoping she'll be able to use All Kids. They don't account for pre-existings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
I imagine that the student loan bailout will come once whatever grift banks like SoFi and others are peddling with student loans consolidation leads to a financial crisis.
Can you please elaborate on your comment? Did you have a negative experience consolidating loans with SoFi? Just trying to understand your position.

The reason I ask is because I have seen some offers of consolidation where a fee is charged however it doesn't appear that SoFi charges any fee to do so. Also I am aware that consolidation affects the terms for forbearance and deferment...is that what you are alluding to? If consolidation is a simple balance transfer to a lower rate, how would that be a bad thing?

Again, apologize for the sidebar, just trying to understand rgw's comment/position.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Can you please elaborate on your comment? Did you have a negative experience consolidating loans with SoFi? Just trying to understand your position.

The reason I ask is because I have seen some offers of consolidation where a fee is charged however it doesn't appear that SoFi charges any fee to do so. Also I am aware that consolidation affects the terms for forbearance and deferment...is that what you are alluding to? If consolidation is a simple balance transfer to a lower rate, how would that be a bad thing?

Again, apologize for the sidebar, just trying to understand rgw's comment/position.
I don't use them. I don't trust banks that advertise too much.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
We have our third child coming in Septrmber. My other 2 were born in 09 and 11. Cost me $300 per child. This one? $2000.

This bill is a disaster.
My daughter is losing her Medicaid disability (another issue/story) in June & now it will be very hard for her to get coverage. I'm hoping she'll be able to use All Kids. They don't account for pre-existings.
Nobody knew how difficult healthcare was

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Maybe if the government can make a case against Benny Hinn they can use him to heal people. I would trust him about as much as I trust our government to run my healthcare.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Maybe if the government can make a case against Benny Hinn they can use him to heal people. I would trust him about as much as I trust our government to run my healthcare.
just my story, but our "government run" healthcare (i actually have coverage bought directly from kaiser) worked really well for us. much better than a faith healer.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
just my story, but our "government run" healthcare (i actually have coverage bought directly from kaiser) worked really well for us. much better than a faith healer.
I'm glad it does. I just wish we didn't have to rely on elected officials to do the right thing, ever.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

That's a minority situation compared to most I've spoken to. If you are self-insured because you run a small company, or are a private contractor -- you got reamed. It seems about 10% of the people I've read about -- it's helped. The other 90% saw increases of 200-300% or more over the past 6 years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.