Republicans Want to Exempt Their Insurance Coverage from the Proposed New Plan

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
There are so many nations with smaller GDPs than our own that are making publicly ran or wholly-subsidized basic healthcare work for citizens. I don't think America is some unique situation.
Actually it is. The American political powers are far closer together than those you speak of. So there less swing politically than there are in European nations. Then you have the egregious abuse in disability and social security. Both parties know it is the funny thing, but neither wants to take the full measures to fix any of the 3 issues because it's going to hack off some really important people.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Judges either.

Not knocking your profession but I've never understood how it can be that people despise politicians and despise lawyers yet they judges rank as one of the highest and most respected professions in the country - despite the fact most judges, particularly SCOTUS judges, are primarily both politicians (to a degree) AND lawyers.

A cheap robe turns a crooked lawyer and devious pol into a respected member of society who suddenly becomes an impartial arbiter......
Actually, and I think most lawyers would agree with me, while judges do represent a spectrum from "Wow, glad I got him," to "Oh God, not her again," that spectrum is a bit higher than for lawyers as a whole. With a few glaring exceptions, the weakest judge is going to be quite a bit better than the worst practicing lawyer. The best judges are going to be among the best minds in the local legal profession. One reason is that, once again with glaring exceptions, the lawyers have more to say than people realize, even in the election of judges. Most lawyers just don't have the appetite for the political process and what it involves. BTW, when I'm in a German-speaking country, I'm "Herr Doktor." In title-crazy Austria, my wife is "Frau Doktor." For the 22 years I was married to a lawyer, in Austria she was "Frau Doktor Doktor." :D

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Canada has learned how crappy the quality of doctors become when you lessen the number, and are forced to drop the standards of medical school. There is a good reason why Canadians illegally cross the border to get into our ERs for medical aid.
It's actually more difficult to get into Canadian medical schools than U.S. schools. They have far fewer spots, and the admission requirements are not lower than at U.S. schools. Medical school tuition also happens to be far less expensive in Canada than it is here.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
It's actually more difficult to get into Canadian medical schools than U.S. schools. They have far fewer spots, and the admission requirements are not lower than at U.S. schools. Medical school tuition also happens to be far less expensive in Canada than it is here.
Is it subsidized by the state?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Is it subsidized by the state?
I was trying to find out that too. I dug into UBC (University of British Columbia) and was trying to see why their tuition was so low. It was quite inexpensive for college in general and for Med School. As recently as 2011 - you could go to the University of Montreal's Med School for $3100/semester (crazy huh!?).

Salaries appeared to be lower than US counterparts. Not sure to what degree.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm talking about standards while in medical school. 98% of the students pass medical school in Canada. You can't tell me that you can determine who is going to be a good and effective doctor based on standardized entrance exams, and dropping science from the MCAT.

http://healthydebate.ca/2015/12/topic/canadian-medical-schools-admissions

Plus there are far more medical schools in the US than Canada so the numbers are skewed. UAB has 5.3% acceptance rate which is darn close to Ontario but it has a far lower pass rate. UCLA has a 2% acceptance rate and a lower pass rate.

Canada is basically trying to base everything up front whereas the USA and other European nations are trying to weed out people while in medical school. This also doesn't account for American DO school which in ways is actually harder than the MD programs.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm talking about standards while in medical school. 98% of the students pass medical school in Canada. You can't tell me that you can determine who is going to be a good and effective doctor based on standardized entrance exams, and dropping science from the MCAT.

http://healthydebate.ca/2015/12/topic/canadian-medical-schools-admissions

Plus there are far more medical schools in the US than Canada so the numbers are skewed. UAB has 5.3% acceptance rate which is darn close to Ontario but it has a far lower pass rate. UCLA has a 2% acceptance rate and a lower pass rate.

Canada is basically trying to base everything up front whereas the USA and other European nations are trying to weed out people while in medical school. This also doesn't account for American DO school which in ways is actually harder than the MD programs.
I graduated in the last class for UA law which didn't have to take the bar exam. The next year, Samford bought the Cumberland law school and everyone started taking the bar. The university law school used the weeding out process. First, you had to get a decent grade on the LSAT to get in and the weeding started immediately. In the end, fewer than 1/3 of the entering class actually graduated. NYU grad law weeded just about as brutally. There, theoretically, a one point average (three point system) was "passing." However, you had to achieve a 1.5 in order to receive the LLM degree. My closest friend there was an attorney from Florence who'd be practicing about five years, which always hurts. He was a good attorney and a good student. He just couldn't take exams worth a damn. He "passed," but he didn't get a degree. I had a tuition scholarship and he didn't. Taking inflation into account, tuition was about the equivalent of $24K an academic year then. Tuition has increased so much faster than the CPI in general, I think they're at $76K per academic year now.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I graduated in the last class for UA law which didn't have to take the bar exam. The next year, Samford bought the Columbia law school and everyone started taking the bar. The university law school used the weeding out process. First, you had to get a decent grade on the LSAT to get in and the weeding started immediately. In the end, fewer than 1/3 of the entering class actually graduated. NYU grad law weeded just about as brutally. There, theoretically, a one point average (three point system) was "passing." However, you had to achieve a 1.5 in order to receive the LLM degree. My closest friend there was an attorney from Florence who'd be practicing about five years, which always hurts. He was a good attorney and a good student. He just couldn't take exams worth a damn. He "passed," but he didn't get a degree. I had a tuition scholarship and he didn't. Taking inflation into account, tuition was about the equivalent of $24K an academic year then. Tuition has increased so much faster than the CPI in general, I think they're at $76K per academic year now.
On a side topic since you bring up law. I've always wondered if going to UA, Cumberland, or Goode is really worth it if you just want to stay in state. I have talked to many lawyers who swear that they would've gone to BSL had they not fell for the ABA distinction. Not judging ( no pun) just asking since there are non accredited law schools that produce many lawyers in the state.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
On a side topic since you bring up law. I've always wondered if going to UA, Cumberland, or Goode is really worth it if you just want to stay in state. I have talked to many lawyers who swear that they would've gone to BSL had they not fell for the ABA distinction. Not judging ( no pun) just asking since there are non accredited law schools that produce many lawyers in the state.
Thanks for reminding me that it's "Cumberland" and not "Columbia." I'll go back and change that. My FIL went to BSL. It and Jones were functioning as night schools when UA grads weren't taking the bar. I don't really know how BSL and Jones, if it's still functioning teach now, but the teaching method was greatly different. At UA, we were assigned up to six cases in each course for the next class hour. We had to read the cases, winnow out the facts, identify the issue(s) and explain the rationale of the court holding. IOW, the idea was to duplicate the way cases would walk into your door in practice. At BSL, they used the "bright line rule" method. The rule was taught first and then cases were plugged in to illustrate the rule. The problem with the latter is the ambiguity of court holdings and confusing, sometimes contradictory holdings. So, all things being equal, if these differences are still there, then I don't think you do get the same education. The exam pass rates for UA were, last I looked, 95%, Cumberland around 85% and BSL around 65%. To some degree, these are apples and oranges, because the typical BSL student is mature and working a full-time job, so competing demands may affect the rates. However, it's well to remember that UA is, in the US News ratings, tied for 26th in the country with Boston College (tuition more than double UA). That's among private and public schools. Among public schools, it ranks even higher. Also, I'm not sure it's possible to attend BSL full-time. Almost all classes used to be at night. All this said, there are a lot of fine lawyers who attended BSL. However, biased as I may be, I do think there's more distinction than just the ABA accreditation...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The latest bar results from the state school are pretty shocking. UA had 80%+ pass rate. Everyone else was at or below 50%. BSL and Miles combined for a 24.6% average.

Faulkner Law (formerly Jones) and Cumberland didn't so hot, which is surprising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The latest bar results from the state school are pretty shocking. UA had 80%+ pass rate. Everyone else was at or below 50%. BSL and Miles combined for a 24.6% average.

Faulkner Law (formerly Jones) and Cumberland didn't so hot, which is surprising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is shocking. I haven't looked in several years and that's quite a drop by all schools. BTW, I've been at this 54 years this month and I've never heard any lawyer say anything to the effect that, if he hadn't fallen for the ABA criteria, he'd have gone to BSL...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
That is shocking. I haven't looked in several years and that's quite a drop by all schools. BTW, I've been at this 54 years this month and I've never heard any lawyer say anything to the effect that, if he hadn't fallen for the ABA criteria, he'd have gone to BSL...
Maybe it's just some of the ones I know. They said had they known they would've been instate their whole career then they would've went the BSL type route. But I've heard more swear that the ABA route is better because you are more prepared and the degree is accepted everywhere.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
back to healthcare

If you can't honor your promise simply delete who cares

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-...literally-deleting-their-health-care-promises

House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) declared with glee the other day that last week’s vote on the GOP health care plan is an example of “us keeping our promises.” That’s only partially true.

The good news for Ryan is that he and his fellow Republicans did promise to pass a regressive health care bill, and now they’ve done that exactly that. Whether you believe that’s a positive development is based in part on whether you might ever need an affordable visit to a doctor.

But when it comes to keeping promises, the Speaker and his GOP brethren have found themselves in an awkward spot. Ryan, Donald Trump, and other prominent Republican officials made all kinds of specific guarantees tied to their health care legislation, and they proceeded to break many of those commitments without explanation last week.

Indeed, in the Speaker’s case, some of those promises were put in writing. Remember this online Q&A published on the House Republican leadership’s website?
Are you repealing patient protections, including for people with pre-existing conditions?

No. Americans should never be denied coverage or charged more because of a pre-existing condition. […]

Won’t millions of Americans lose their health insurance because of your plan?

No. We are working to give all Americans peace of mind about their health care.
The day after 217 House Republicans voted for their party’s health care plan, the website was changed – and these promises, which Republicans broke, were replaced with new text.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.