Republicans Want to Exempt Their Insurance Coverage from the Proposed New Plan

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Congress exempting themselves from the regulations they pass is SOP. For example, they'll jump on the demagogue train and beat up some private sector schmuck, but the congress critters (or their family members) become millionaires by making trades on the insider information they create. :mad:

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
He should be expelled from the Republican party. I'm fine with states deciding about preexisting illnesses and sick people paying more just reminds me of car insurance but if you think it's so great then you get to live with it too!

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
He should be expelled from the Republican party. I'm fine with states deciding about preexisting illnesses and sick people paying more just reminds me of car insurance but if you think it's so great then you get to live with it too!
Letting states choose whether they want to (1) charge sick people more, and (2) eliminate the requirement that all plans offer a minimum base of coverage, will indeed lower premiums for healthy people. And that's probably how they'll try to pitch it. But it will do so by pricing sick people out of the insurance market altogether, and letting you buy plans that ultimately cover nothing. Since a majority of the population support the Obamacare provisions that all states must protect those with pre-existing conditions (70% support) and mandate minimum coverage requirements (62% support), it's unclear how this bill will be any more popular than their last attempt. The fact that Congress apparently knows it's worse and wants to protect themselves from the changes further torpedoes the chances of this making any headway.

Here's a good breakdown of the changes (with a link to the poll I referenced).

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
No CBO score yet, but the AARP has weighed in on the GOP's new plan. Link

The revised American Health Care Act (AHCA) threatens to do away with the Affordable Care Act’s (ACA) protections for people with preexisting health conditions. These protections prevent insurance companies from denying these individuals coverage or charging them higher rates based on their health.

Eliminating these protections could force millions of Americans to — once again — rely on state high-risk pools. State high-risk pools are supposed to provide access to health insurance for people who cannot get coverage in the individual health insurance market because of preexisting health conditions.

State high-risk pools may sound like a good idea but, in reality, they are fraught with problems. One of the biggest lessons learned from experience with state high-risk pools: They bring steep premiums that put coverage out of reach for millions. In the past, monthly premiums in state high-risk pools could be up to 200 percent higher than in the individual (nongroup) market. Consequently, only a small fraction of those with preexisting conditions could afford to buy a plan. Yet, these premiums — high as they were — only covered about half the amount needed to pay enrollee claims. Most states tried to close the financial gap through taxes on providers and government subsidies, but even those efforts proved insufficient. We project that if states return to pre-ACA high-risk pools in 2019, as proposed, high-risk pool premiums for people with preexisting conditions could be as high as $25,700 annually.[1]

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My attitude on this is colored by the fact that three of my four grandchildren are uninsurable from birth unless some preexisting condition provision is in the law. There are literally millions in their position...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
My attitude on this is colored by the fact that three of my four grandchildren are uninsurable from birth unless some preexisting condition provision is in the law. There are literally millions in their position...
Isn't your daughter in California (I think I recall that) if so, she won't be able to use the Tax Credits either

http://shareblue.com/gop-lawmaker-t...s-tax-credits-to-people-in-pro-choice-states/

On MSNBC’s All In, Donovan told a shocked Chris Hayes that under the new Republican plan, the much lower tax credits that would replace Obamacare’s subsidies would not be usable to anyone living in a state that requires insurers to cover abortion care:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
my daughter is in the same position, and as of 5 years ago, so am i.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
On MSNBC’s All In, Donovan told a shocked Chris Hayes that under the new Republican plan, the much lower tax credits that would replace Obamacare’s subsidies would not be usable to anyone living in a state that requires insurers to cover abortion care
That's almost comically outrageous. And Hayes immediately pinpointed why this will go nowhere: any Republican in a state that requires abortion care will either vote against this, or commit political suicide by voting to increase premiums for everyone in their state by thousands of dollars.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
You know I have worried a ton about this country tearing itself apart from within sometime in my lifetime but at this juncture I may just welcome the revolution so we might actually get a representative democracy in this country. No reasonable person wants ACA gone. It was just something for people to complain about Obama because he wasn't their guy. ACA has some suck in it but the only fix is to remove the insurers from basic healthcare and go to the German model. ACA has lowered the bankruptcy numbers due to lower medical debt. ACA has lowered teen pregnancies. ACA has raised premiums, as predicted by the CBO but partially because the insurers are idiots and thought uninsured people would use healthcare like longtime insured people. (Business people are dime-a-dozen idiots)

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.