News Article: Are Alabama Players Draft Busts or Not? The Numbers Tell the Story

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Given who he chose to associate with, Ro was not surprising to me but I will never understand why Trent did not do better.
It was actually very predictable when you look at how the role of the NFL RB has changed with the newer schemes. Also TR was never a "quick twitch" runner and never had great vision. Players in HS and College just couldn't bring him down. In the NFL you have to hit the right hole and quick because they will be in position and they will stick you solid. That and going to 2 teams with HORRIBLE OLs was the kiss of death. He had chances but also had too many limitations for the pro game.

BamaFanatJSU

1st Team
Apr 24, 2008
Rainbow City, AL
Yea, the fading quickly thing seems off the mark. I do understand the injury issue though. Now with the playoffs Bama players are almost always playing 2-3 games more than the average school each year. That has got to have an impact early in their careers and I think it has for some.
Case in point: I remember when Robert Quinn was drafted out of UNC in 2011. He was a projected Top 5 pick, and then it came out that he had chronic knee issues as well as a brain tumor that could lead to degenerative issues down the road. STL still took him at 14, and he's only racked up 50 sacks and two Pro Bowl appearances on his way to a six year contract extension a few years ago. Despite being hampered by concussion issues this past year, the Rams obviously don't see him slowing down any time soon, so I'm not entirely sure how much stock the NFL puts in injury "potential."

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Here is the real reason from what I have heard talking to current NFL personnel and UA coaches.

As someone mentioned above. So many times with Bama players teams know what they are getting. They know the value. Here is the underlying issue. All teams know the value. And so Alabama players generally are thought of as "As Advertised". Meaning you are paying for a finsihed product in most instances. Where as other players teams are hoping there is much more to their game and skill level. They feel they are way under developed so they pay more for potential that likely does not even exist. But teams are always trying to make the surpise impact pick. There are few positive surprises with Bama players. They perform in most cases as expected.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Kareem Jackson has never made All-Pro or the Pro Bowl but has been a starter for the Texans since 2010. 399 tackles, 60 passes defended and 13 interceptions. Ever since Mark Barron was labeled a "bust" during his time in TB, he was traded to the Rams and has been a solid starter at OLB for the Rams. So far he has 482 career tackles.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Here is the real reason from what I have heard talking to current NFL personnel and UA coaches.

As someone mentioned above. So many times with Bama players teams know what they are getting. They know the value. Here is the underlying issue. All teams know the value. And so Alabama players generally are thought of as "As Advertised". Meaning you are paying for a finsihed product in most instances. Where as other players teams are hoping there is much more to their game and skill level. They feel they are way under developed so they pay more for potential that likely does not even exist. But teams are always trying to make the surpise impact pick. There are few positive surprises with Bama players. They perform in most cases as expected.
Which is just non-sensical to me. Ok, so on one hand, I've got a mature product that's ready to go right off the assembly line and perform at optimized levels. On the other, I've got an immature product, that is going to require some assembly, and once assembled and ready to perform will then perform at that same optimized level.

Which one would any logical person choose?

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
About the only way I can analogize it is to say that most NFL GMs operate like penny stock traders whereas teams like the Patriots and Ravens draft on proven value.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The truth is that the 1st round is very predictable in most cases.

Picks 1-5 are butts in seats type of picks in which it is always money over quality.

Picks 6-15 are a mix between needs and butts in seats

Picks 16-25 are usually strictly necessity type picks

Picks 25-32 are usually your smart pickers who get the first round steals.

Bama players aren't usually flashy picks, and that's why our players don't usually own the top 5 picks.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
when I watched bama playeers dropping in the first round, I was scratching my head trying to figure out what the problem was. I still don't know, except sometimes teams try to make the draft harder than necessary. I watched a lot of receivers selected in the first round, and for many years, it was considered easy to pick up good receivers in the 3d and 4th rounds. which was true, but, jones and cooper has raised that bar. however, I did not see those caliber selected. few def linemen except some never heard of. I am one that thinks garrett, will be injury prone, and is not a 3 down performer. Barnett will be good in the pros, but his speed will be enough against the pro tackles consistently. my redskins stole allen at 17. he never gets hurt, and he can play def end or tackle. every down player. howard, will make Winston even better. Humphrey not sure, but, he is a pure athlete. foster a steal for 49ers. don't understand how two off tackles ahead of cam. they say his 40 time was to slow. I don't see many tackles sprinting off the line of scrimmage. I also remember cam anchoring the left side of the line and leading backs like henry, yeldon, scarborough , harris on big runs outside the tackle, and inside the tackle on the left side of the line. many big games, where these other tackles never played in. there will be many bama players picked up though the rest of the draft and some like many bama players will be selected and play as free agents.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
when I watched bama playeers dropping in the first round, I was scratching my head trying to figure out what the problem was. I still don't know, except sometimes teams try to make the draft harder than necessary. I watched a lot of receivers selected in the first round, and for many years, it was considered easy to pick up good receivers in the 3d and 4th rounds. which was true, but, jones and cooper has raised that bar. however, I did not see those caliber selected. few def linemen except some never heard of. I am one that thinks garrett, will be injury prone, and is not a 3 down performer. Barnett will be good in the pros, but his speed will be enough against the pro tackles consistently. my redskins stole allen at 17. he never gets hurt, and he can play def end or tackle. every down player. howard, will make Winston even better. Humphrey not sure, but, he is a pure athlete. foster a steal for 49ers. don't understand how two off tackles ahead of cam. they say his 40 time was to slow. I don't see many tackles sprinting off the line of scrimmage. I also remember cam anchoring the left side of the line and leading backs like henry, yeldon, scarborough , harris on big runs outside the tackle, and inside the tackle on the left side of the line. many big games, where these other tackles never played in. there will be many bama players picked up though the rest of the draft and some like many bama players will be selected and play as free agents.
Allen fell because some teams think he will have a short career because of his shoulders. I don't really understand why Rueben fell THAT far but my guess is there is either an off the field concern or some injury we don't know about. I am realllly surprised OJ fell to the Bucs but he fits perfectly there (I'm going to draft him in fantasy for sure). CamRob falling is a little surprising to me. I guess most teams must see him as a RT or G and just don't think he will be ready to start at LT right away.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Allen fell because some teams think he will have a short career because of his shoulders. I don't really understand why Rueben fell THAT far but my guess is there is either an off the field concern or some injury we don't know about. I am realllly surprised OJ fell to the Bucs but he fits perfectly there (I'm going to draft him in fantasy for sure). CamRob falling is a little surprising to me. I guess most teams must see him as a RT or G and just don't think he will be ready to start at LT right away.
Cam is going to be a RT in the NFL. He might work his way into being a LT if the situation is right, but most expect him at RT if not G.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
People seem to forget that most of the players drafted will be out of the league in 3-5 years. Alabama players seem to do no worse than the average and maybe a bit better at sticking around as a competent-but-not-a-star tier. Look at Upshaw. He didn't pan out as a Terrell Suggs replacement for Baltimore but he's still a valuable enough role player for the Falcons.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Which is just non-sensical to me. Ok, so on one hand, I've got a mature product that's ready to go right off the assembly line and perform at optimized levels. On the other, I've got an immature product, that is going to require some assembly, and once assembled and ready to perform will then perform at that same optimized level.

Which one would any logical person choose?
There is big money involved but even bigger EGOs!! I agree completely with your assessment of who you should pick. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the NFL doesn't operate that way. Have you ever wondered why the same handful of 5-8 teams are very competitive year in and year out? They are always picking 25-32nd in each round so how can they keep outperforming all the others with all the parity in the NFL? It's because the teams that struggle during the season try to hit grandslams with every pick and they are trying to go for the "what if" players and the "high potential" players thinking they could turn their team around. While that's happening those same teams playing in the playoffs every year and picking at the tail end of the rounds are loading up on known commodities and proven talent much more consistently than the other teams trying to make every pick some surprise pick. They are always trying to show they are smarter than everyone else. As someone said. They are overthinking it every year and always expecting the best possible results rather than saying what is this guys basement? Not his ceiling.

Thats why they will stay where they are over and over.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Cam Robinson fell because of all the false starts and other penalties he would get every game. IMO I use to think he was a top 10 pick.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Cam Robinson fell because of all the false starts and other penalties he would get every game. IMO I use to think he was a top 10 pick.
Yea, and he has some clear flaws. I just expected teams to ignore them and draft him in the 1st anyway. He is just too physically gifted and worst case scenario you move him to G and he is quickly one of the better Gs in the NFL. It's going to be fun for Fournette to get to run behind him.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Yea, and he has some clear flaws. I just expected teams to ignore them and draft him in the 1st anyway. He is just too physically gifted and worst case scenario you move him to G and he is quickly one of the better Gs in the NFL. It's going to be fun for Fournette to get to run behind him.
Regardless he is still a 2nd round pick and will certainly make the team. That for sure cost him a lot of money but he will have a chance to make more of he pans out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.