News Article: ESPN layoffs

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I have empathy for the families impacted. I hope they all land on their feet, though some will be missed (by me) more than others.
Agreed. I know what it's like to lose a job. It's usually quite stressful because there are families involved. Though I really dislike many who have been laid off, from a professional standpoint. I do not ever wish anything bad on them or their families on a personal level.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I have empathy for the families impacted. I hope they all land on their feet, though some will be missed (by me) more than others.
Completely agree. I never celebrate people loosing their jobs in this way. It's one thing if you are bad at your job it's a completely different thing if you are just a casualty of a larger issue.

But here's my question. My brother in law uses Sling TV. He still "gets" all the ESPN channels. So how does ESPN not get paid from that? Is Sling TV pirating ESPN? Or is ESPN simply losing viewers? For example, are people ditching cable but aren't picking up ESPN on these new a la carte options?
I think its more that people who cut the cord watch less live tv. People want ESPN for watching sports not for their shows. Netflix, HBO, Amazon, HULU, etc. are taking over the TV market more and more.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
But here's my question. My brother in law uses Sling TV. He still "gets" all the ESPN channels. So how does ESPN not get paid from that? Is Sling TV pirating ESPN? Or is ESPN simply losing viewers? For example, are people ditching cable but aren't picking up ESPN on these new a la carte options?
Sling is a subsidiary of Dish. ESPN typically accounts for ~$6 of a cable bill through Dish or any regular cable provider. Because sling is an over the top television service and not a traditional cable service the fees are considerably less. Ive never seen a $ figure that ESPN makes from these streaming services but it's obviously not close to what they make from traditional cable companies. Also, advertisers pay less for ads on a streaming service vs cable TV mainly because of screen real estate..

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
imo, this is typical of a large originally growing corporation, expanding with bigger contracts, and having to pay long time employees, retirement, benefits, and raises. there are many jocks out there that will take less money and be a comedy on espn. they payment to major sports is killing them with the drop of subscribers. maybe they ought to set term limits for employees. the amount of knowledge and personality is really dropping.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
FWIW, I have read a few places that ESPN made some bad bets as well. They were really aggressive when FoxSports and other competitors were starting up and ended up overpaying for sports rites.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I didn't see any of the SEC college football personalities being mentioned. I guess their venture with Finebaum is paying off, at least at this point.

Also, glad to see Greg McElroy survived. I think he has a real future in color commentary.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I didn't see any of the SEC college football personalities being mentioned. I guess their venture with Finebaum is paying off, at least at this point.

Also, glad to see Greg McElroy survived. I think he has a real future in color commentary.
If GMAC is smart he's already making plans on where he will land. Because my guess is this isn't the end of the bleeding.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
SEC Network might eventually be in trouble...

ESPN layoffs hit Charlotte offices

When you watch a college football halftime show on ESPNU, the studio you’re seeing will no longer be in Charlotte.

As part of a round of about 100 layoffs company wide, the sports network is moving its ESPNU studio operation from Charlotte to Bristol, Conn., where ESPN is based, a source close to the matter told the Observer. A few ESPNU positions will remain in Charlotte, primarily the people responsible for producing the large number of events that air on U.

In total, fewer than 10 people in Charlotte are being laid off. The SEC network operations, as well as an events division, will remain in Charlotte. ESPN employs about 200 people locally.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
The Longhorn Network was a huge mistake... :cool2:

I don't see it being around when THAT contract expires.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
Also with the others saying that it is uncouth to celebrate a firing (call it a layoff if you want), I will not miss Danny Kannell and I wouldn't miss Heather Dinich either. Hint, hint.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
as a cord cutter i can offer at least my anecdote. i currently use someone else's login for espn (i know, i'm a pirate, but until this past year, i had no way to only purchase access to espn) but will be doing some form of sling next football season.

when i had cable and would watch espn, i would usually watch the lead-in and/or prior show and then keep it on after the game for sports center/wrap up. from time to time, i would also end up stopping on espn when channel surfing

now, i turn it on right at kick off and turn it off right after.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Danny Kanell
✔ @dannykanell

Poured my heart and soul into ESPN for last 8 years. Moved my wife and 3 kids to CT to go "all in" 5 years ago. Bummed it ended in 3 minutes
11:45 AM - 26 Apr 2017

Hate to say it but welcome to America buddy. Just be glad you was paid to talk football for as long as you did. The rest of us are working for a living. If you're in an industry that is not stable, you don't pick up and move across the country. As horrible as he was I'm surprised he was employed THIS long.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
as a cord cutter i can offer at least my anecdote. i currently use someone else's login for espn (i know, i'm a pirate, but until this past year, i had no way to only purchase access to espn) but will be doing some form of sling next football season.

when i had cable and would watch espn, i would usually watch the lead-in and/or prior show and then keep it on after the game for sports center/wrap up. from time to time, i would also end up stopping on espn when channel surfing

now, i turn it on right at kick off and turn it off right after.
I'm about to do it. My brother in law said you have to ensure to upgrade your internet speed to the fastest you can get. What/who do you use?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'm wondering if college football and the big three professional sports is heading toward a burst of the bubble as well?
I think its possible. I doubt all sports fall off at the same time but football could be in trouble in the not too distant future. They need to adapt by making the game safer and shorter.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I'm about to do it. My brother in law said you have to ensure to upgrade your internet speed to the fastest you can get. What/who do you use?

I will say one thing before everyone ditches cable/satellite. If your internet is ANYTHING like mine, it would NOT pay to switch. My internet is far from stable and I'm on 60meg Charter. Mine goes out like clockwork at 12:30am every morning. Not sure about the earlier hours as I'm not home as much.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I will say one thing before everyone ditches cable/satellite. If your internet is ANYTHING like mine, it would NOT pay to switch. My internet is far from stable and I'm on 60meg Charter. Mine goes out like clockwork at 12:30am every morning. Not sure about the earlier hours as I'm not home as much.
This is what I'm afraid of.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.