News Article: ESPN layoffs

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
According to this thread I am doing it all wrong..lol. We have Charter cable, plus I pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime. :biggrin:

I am not sure I could ever cut the cable out though. (We have a lot of shows we watch) My Charter bill is half the internet and half the cable. So, it wouldn't save me that much.
I do that too. I need to cancel cable.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Please don't promote any ideas of making the college game shorter. They'll just add more commercials to take up the time. It's already happened once when they changed the rules a few years ago.
The NFL highly regulates their game time, pace of play, clock rules, and commercial breaks. It simply takes unifying cfb into one product somehow (I would suggest the power five conferences unifying) so they can collectively bargain as a unified front on things that diminish the quality of their product. Since everything can be negotiated at the lowest level theoretically and by the conferences in reality (mostly), there isn't really a way to leverage the broadcasters on quality of life enhancements. Also the NCAA is just a flat out ill-suited competition committee. Corporations - which bigtime football is in all but name - are better ran by the benevolent tyrant than the community consensus. There are too many vested interests, you need a commish that has been endowed with immense power to dictate competition and other structural rules.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The one I'm kinda surprised that didn't get laid off Is Heather Dinich..I just never have cared for her as a sideline reporter..
She has risen above the cut-off line they seemed to generally follow for this layoff among the on-air talent. There were a lot of beat reporters and narrow-focus analysts on the list. Jay Crawford was the biggest surprise to me. He had been a host of some of their daytime shows and Sportscenter for quite a long time. By seniority and stature, I wouldn't have expected him on the list. Ed Werder is another surprise because he's been a quality beat guy in their NFL coverage for a long time. Trent Dilfer - who I don't think is great but does have a passion for his work - being cut over Steve Young is a sign of how much a name matters. Steve Young is a terrible analyst and it has become public knowledge that he is ill-prepared and disinterested in football.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
She has risen above the cut-off line they seemed to generally follow for this layoff among the on-air talent. There were a lot of beat reporters and narrow-focus analysts on the list. Jay Crawford was the biggest surprise to me. He had been a host of some of their daytime shows and Sportscenter for quite a long time. By seniority and stature, I wouldn't have expected him on the list. Ed Werder is another surprise because he's been a quality beat guy in their NFL coverage for a long time. Trent Dilfer - who I don't think is great but does have a passion for his work - being cut over Steve Young is a sign of how much a name matters. Steve Young is a terrible analyst and it has become public knowledge that he is ill-prepared and disinterested in football.
I can't help to think if they can get rid of Brett McMurphy they can get rid of Dinich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
sounds like he is trying to get laid off so he can tell his private equity pals "sorry guys, wasn't my choice" and just drop it and go

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
As with pretty much everything ESPN, the recognition was there but the response was terrible.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You can tell I have only watched games for many years. You couldn't pay me to watch the other stuff. I have only heard of three on that list.
Who are you kidding. You read these boards. You have heard us complain about way more than 3 of those listed. :wink:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I can't help to think if they can get rid of Brett McMurphy they can get rid of Dinich.

That's true too but she's kinda carved out a niche with the CFP stuff and for whatever reason they valued her more than him. He'll land on his feet within the profession. He's good at what he does and respected within that journo and journo-wonk community.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Galloway should go ahead and quit to show his solidarity.
I don't think he's gonna have to show solidarity. If they have another bad or middling quarter, Disney is going to demand another round of trimming and I think a lot people at his level (including our guy Greg McElroy) will be in a pickle.

Unlike Galloway, I assume our guy will just go get a "real" job and do just fine for himself!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't think he's gonna have to show solidarity. If they have another bad or middling quarter, Disney is going to demand another round of trimming and I think a lot people at his level (including our guy Greg McElroy) will be in a pickle.

Unlike Galloway, I assume our guy will just go get a "real" job and do just fine for himself!
McElroy might be saved by his employment being the SEC Network. Plus, he has his gig with Sirius.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.