News Article: ESPN layoffs

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
TBF, several of them are writers, not TV personalities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I noticed too as I began to see who was being let go. Lack of page clicks not so much about viewership. When I look at espn.com I am overwhelmed by the different articles to choose from. I might read 3-4 at the most.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Do not watch ESPN if I can avoid it. Outside of Kanell, McMurphy, Len Elmore and Dottie Pepper, I have never seen or read anything by these people.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I look at MLB and most games the stands seem to be barely occupied. Yet their players have contracts in the hundreds of millions. Money must be coming from corporate side. Ticket prices for both NFL and CFB have gotten to the point where the average Joe can't afford to go.
i think they make money off of corporate box seats and season ticket holders. it is way too expensive to go to any kind of professional (or cfb) game these days.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I don't think he's gonna have to show solidarity. If they have another bad or middling quarter, Disney is going to demand another round of trimming and I think a lot people at his level (including our guy Greg McElroy) will be in a pickle.

Unlike Galloway, I assume our guy will just go get a "real" job and do just fine for himself!
Like start his own sports network and put ESPN out of it's misery.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Unlike Galloway, I assume our guy will just go get a "real" job and do just fine for himself!
Galloway has done a great job of maintaining his relationships in Columbus. He probably has more opportunities in the real world than most could dream of. I don't like his on air personality either, but in person he comes across as a very kind and articulate man.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Galloway has done a great job of maintaining his relationships in Columbus. He probably has more opportunities in the real world than most could dream of. I don't like his on air personality either, but in person he comes across as a very kind and articulate man.
He was also smarter than Danny. He really backed off the anti-SEC rants that he used to do. I can actually stand to listen to Galloway now.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
McElroy might be saved by his employment being the SEC Network. Plus, he has his gig with Sirius.

He could probably have a pick of jobs if it ever came up. I could really see him in an Athletic Director role one day.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
CNN, Fox News, and others have done well copying the ESPN format over the last decade. I wouldn't bet on two people arguing over news items to disappear.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I just saw where they whacked Dr. Jerry Punch, gotta love it when the VP's at ESPN get shown the door in another few months. Jerry will wind up on FOX on NBC doing races. IMHO he was best doing NASCAR. I havent watched ESPN since the National Championship game. Sure wish I could get a 6 month satellite package so I dont pay for crap I dont ever watch.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I do that too. I need to cancel cable.
I just got ATT fiber. I have a 1 year contract on the bundle. I have a Fire TV with Netflix and Amazon Prime TV. I'm seriously considering singing up for PlayStation Vue and dropping TV service after the 1 year bundle is up. I get everything I want to watch for $35/mo.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Can't decide if ESPN is more like the WWF in 1996 or WCW in 2000.

The answer to this rhetorical question depends upon what incident you view as the Montreal Screwjob OR which one you view as Russo's rant on Hogan at Bash at the Beach 2000.

Not that I know much about it or anything....

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
As far as Kanell, basic human decency won't let me cheer his loss of job by any means. By the same token, I'm secretly glad he won't be there for the FSU-Bama pregame coverage and bloviating like he does - and not to rip on him but most folks don't make ANYWHERE near the salary he made there for as little as is actually involved with the job.....he gives an OPINION. That's literally it.

I do hope for his family's sake that he finds something good, but I also hope he has planned ahead for something just such as this. There's less excuse for someone like him to do that than for the daily blue collar guy making ends meet but that's all.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
i think they make money off of corporate box seats and season ticket holders. it is way too expensive to go to any kind of professional (or cfb) game these days.
My boys want to go to a Texas Rangers game. My sister lives in the area and she sent me ticket prices. It would cost us dang near an arm and a leg to go. And that's just taking two of my boys. Lord knows how much it would be if I took all of them.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
On that topic, I can't get ESPN or any other streaming service to work with Google Chrome. I can do Netflix or Hulu just fine but those of course are apps. These other services just won't work well at all:

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
My boys want to go to a Texas Rangers game. My sister lives in the area and she sent me ticket prices. It would cost us dang near an arm and a leg to go. And that's just taking two of my boys. Lord knows how much it would be if I took all of them.
Yeah baseball used to be affordable for anyone who wanted to take in a game but not so much anymore. It's really gotten crazy.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.