News Article: ESPN layoffs

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
A man with a family to support lost his job, that's hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With all due respect, yeah, it is to me, way too hilarious. He was as biased a sports television host as they came, never objectionable, never had anything good to say about Bama, or the SEC, and you knew it every time he opened his mouth. I couldn't stand him. His sports reporting was elementary at best. He sounded like a high schooler giving a book report. ESPN may be giving cut backs and cutting some on air personalities for whatever reason. IDK. But, it could be that some people like me don't care to watch someone like him on a program where all he did was talk about the teams and players he liked, bash the ones he didn't, and the ratings hit the skids. Idk, but I for one won't watch a show like that, and I know several other people who won't watch it either.. And there's a dozen other reasons I could list. He'll find another job somewhere, and I'll avoid him there also.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
With all due respect, yeah, it is to me, way too hilarious. He was as biased a sports television host as they came, never objectionable, never had anything good to say about Bama, or the SEC, and you knew it every time he opened his mouth. I couldn't stand him. His sports reporting was elementary at best. He sounded like a high schooler giving a book report. ESPN may be giving cut backs and cutting some on air personalities for whatever reason. IDK. But, it could be that some people like me don't care to watch someone like him on a program where all he did was talk about the teams and players he liked and the ratings hit the skids. Idk, but I for one won't watch a show like that, and I know several other people who won't watch it either.. And there's a dozen other reasons I could list. He'll find another job somewhere, and I'll avoid him there also.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Am I to understand there is a serious sports and entertainment bubble? Are these guys finally going to realize that they are not worth what they've getting paid? Today is a day I am glad I do work in a non-sexy segment of IT -- content and document management. Man, it is so unexciting but it's necessary at so many companies. I would like to see what a lot of these guys are now going to do to put food on the table. If DK moved to Connecticutt, I know it's not cheap. Hope he didn't buy a mansion. At any rate, it's not all bad. I've been laid off 6 times in my professional career. Each time, I was able to find something better. I don't feel bad for them.
You had portable skills. They don't. What on earth else can Danny Kanell do?

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
It's because Conley resigned with the team that drafted him which enables him to make more money over a longer period of time. The NBA allows this to discourage all the good free agents to team up together (see Miami heat big 3 w/Lebron, Bosh and Wade). So, essentially a player gets rewarded for resigning with the team that drafted him. Most players don't do that though. The one's you mentioned - Conley, Bryant and LeBron did.

IIRC, a free agent leaving the team that drafted him can get a max deal of 4 years/$80 million. However, a player signing with the team that drafted him can get 6 years/$180 million. Also, this isn't like NFL contracts. NBA contracts are fully guaranteed..
That's true, but the NBA's sick contract with ESPN is ultimately what fuels the league's franchises and owners ability to pay out this kind of compensation. Once that ever ends--and I think it will-- this bubble will burst.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Sad thing about Kannell is that he is capable of good analysis - if you ever heard him on the radio with Ryan Russillo.

Yep, it's true. I heard their show one time and was fairly surprised. His problem on the College Football shows was that he just couldn't help himself and his biases.

I'm stunned about Katz, though.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Sad thing about Kannell is that he is capable of good analysis - if you ever heard him on the radio with Ryan Russillo.

Yep. Thought the show would be pretty bad after SVP left. DK wasn't nearly as bad as I figured. He would even laugh at himself when he would start making some stupid comment just to rile up SEC fans.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I never said I (wished) this on him. I don't wish bad on anyone, and I never (wished) he'd get fired. So I guess I'm a bad guy for thinking that it's funny that a biased reporter lost his job.
I didn't say that you were a bad guy - I don't know you. But you and a number of other posters in this thread (heck, pretty much everywhere this is being discussed) clearly lack empathy for him or his family, and you base this on his on-air persona. You are happy, it actually brings you joy and laughter, to see a man fired when all he did was his job. You don't know him. You don't know his family. But you are happy to see him on the street?

My post was philosophical. I apologize if you took it as a personal insult. I really didn't mean it that way. But I am not giving folks a pass for this kind of behavior.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I didn't say that you were a bad guy - I don't know you. But you and a number of other posters in this thread (heck, pretty much everywhere this is being discussed) clearly lack empathy for him or his family, and you base this on his on-air persona. You are happy, it actually brings you joy and laughter, to see a man fired when all he did was his job. You don't know him. You don't know his family. But you are happy to see him on the street?

My post was philosophical. I apologize if you took it as a personal insult. I really didn't mean it that way. But I am not giving folks a pass for this kind of behavior.
Speaking of philosophy and empathy, there's a new book out by a Yale philosophy prof discussing how empathy is a bad thing. I'm eager to read it.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.

Respectfully BIG10, you don't KNOW DK either, do you?...and No, I don't have empathy for a guy who clearly spent his time at ESPN with his biased opinions and personal insight on any topic he chose ( especially the SEC and Bama). That's not a way to keep viewers interested in his program or whatever show he was a part of. Maybe, ESPN looked at his ratings along with others and saw that he was not pulling in what they thought would be financially beneficial to them for them to keep him (or the others) on their staff, and they axed him. And no disrespect, but I don't care if I get a "pass" for this "type of behavior". I'm entitled just as much as you are to my own opinion.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Speaking of philosophy and empathy, there's a new book out by a Yale philosophy prof discussing how empathy is a bad thing. I'm eager to read it.
I heard about this - remember that he is a philosophy professor, so his job is really to get other interested in ideas. I doubt that he really believes what he is proposing. The #1 implication of a world without empathy is that the world is then populated by sociopaths. Now, we won't all turn into psychopaths because we become sociopaths - our conscience would prohibit that in most of us - but our society would crumble.

Also remember that empathy does not create action. We can see those starving children in commercials, feel terrible, and do nothing. Most do exactly that - nothing. Compassion and passion drive action - not empathy. Empathy is essential to humanity - it makes us human. Compassion and passion drive people to do things without considering the consequences.

Compassion and empathy are not the same thing.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Respectfully BIG10, you don't KNOW DK either, do you?...and No, I don't have empathy for a guy who clearly spent his time at ESPN with his biased opinions and personal insight on any topic he chose ( especially the SEC and Bama). That's not a way to keep viewers interested in his program or whatever show he was a part of. Maybe, ESPN looked at his ratings along with others and saw that he was not pulling in what they thought would be financially beneficial to them for them to keep him (or the others) on their staff, and they axed him. And no disrespect, but I don't care if I get a "pass" for this "type of behavior". I'm entitled just as much as you are to my own opinion.
I probably dislike his on-air persona as much as you do - I just don't personalize it. And I agree that you don't need a pass from me. I apologize for that. I sometimes get started down a road and can't shut up.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Why? All one has to do is watch the Seinfeld series to see what a world without empathy looks like, and how it proves the professor's hypothesis true.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
I probably dislike his on-air persona as much as you do - I just don't personalize it. And I agree that you don't need a pass from me, but I get to decide what falls below my "acceptable behavior" threshold.
B10, I've been a Sheriff's Deputy for 23 years. So, I have empathy for folks, because I've seen some horrible things in my career. But I don't have much empathy for a guy who made probably over $150,000 last year sitting on tv talking about football with a biased attitude, (with a college education) while a guy who works at the local mill for the last 30 years, who makes $30,000 a year with 4 kids gets laid off and a wife who has stage 4 cancer. I guarantee you Kanell is not financially struggling like the gentleman at the mill is. With that said, I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
B10, I've been a Sheriff's Deputy for 23 years. So, I have empathy for folks, because I've seen some horrible things in my career. But I don't have much empathy for a guy who made probably over $150,000 last year sitting on tv talking about football with a biased attitude, (with a college education) while a guy who works at the local mill for the last 30 years, who makes $30,000 a year with 4 kids gets laid off and a wife who has stage 4 cancer. I guarantee you Kanell is not financially struggling like the gentleman at the mill is. With that said, I guess we'll just agree to disagree.
Cool - we aren't going to solve our society's inequities on TideFans.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.