News Article: ESPN layoffs

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Mark May is one of the guys whose opinions actually affect my thinking. While we don't always agree, I have huge respect for his thoughts and experience. Gotta love a guy who loves the linemen.

I'll actually follow him wherever he goes.
I've always liked him as well but hated the character the espn seemed to force him to play. Hope he lands well

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
We are discussing this like it is just an ESPN problem. ESPN is more a causlty of a changing business model and revolt by the subscribers. The real problem is cable providers bundling services, taking away choice, and making its customers subscribe to worthless channels with worthless content. Half of my channels just offer re-runs of pseudo-reality TV. There is only so much of re-runs of Duck Dynasty and American Pickers that can prop up a channel.

When you are overcharged for content of which 75% of it is worthless and everything is bundled together you leave yourself exposed to customers who decide none of it is worth the cost.

ESPN in addition to developing self delivered programming also needs to pushbsck on the cable providers demanding they go back to offering the expanded basic package where you got 50 or so of the core channels.

The gas producers figured out that $4 gas will absolutely destroy an economy. Well it appears that TV providers have figured out that $150 cable bills, $75 Internet bills, and $250 cell phone bills is just a flat ripoff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Well, how 'bout this.................

Someone who actually hosts a show on ESPN thinks that delving into politics did play a role in the layoffs.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/15835/espn-anchor-admits-network-failing-because-hank-berrien

On Thursday, SportsCenter anchor Linda Cohn admitted that the huge staff reductions announced this week are a result of the network’s penchant for broadcasting politics instead of sports.

Appearing on 77 WABC’s Bernie and Sid Show, Cohn said one reason for the cutbacks was the political nature of the network’s programming. She stated, “That is definitely a percentage of it. I don’t know how big a percentage, but if anyone wants to ignore that fact, they’re blind.”

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
We are discussing this like it is just an ESPN problem. ESPN is more a causlty of a changing business model and revolt by the subscribers. The real problem is cable providers bundling services, taking away choice, and making its customers subscribe to worthless channels with worthless content. Half of my channels just offer re-runs of pseudo-reality TV. There is only so much of re-runs of Duck Dynasty and American Pickers that can prop up a channel.

When you are overcharged for content of which 75% of it is worthless and everything is bundled together you leave yourself exposed to customers who decide none of it is worth the cost.

ESPN in addition to developing self delivered programming also needs to pushbsck on the cable providers demanding they go back to offering the expanded basic package where you got 50 or so of the core channels.

The gas producers figured out that $4 gas will absolutely destroy an economy. Well it appears that TV providers have figured out that $150 cable bills, $75 Internet bills, and $250 cell phone bills is just a flat ripoff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Agreed with the above. I have the dish flex pack. I added a couple or 3 packages to it and it magically goes from $39.99 a month to $104. Granted it was cheaper than their gold pack by about $11.00 a month to do so and I got a hopper and 2 joeys to go with it. I do get all the major channels including ESPN and ESPN News. I do not subscribe to HBO or any channel like it. I had to pick up cartoon channels for kids. All in all I could prolly get away at $75 or so a month which is ok with me.

On a side note, if my internet was worth a crap, I would explore cutting the cord and see where that took my, but it is to sporadic for me to think about doing currently. But who knows in the future.

CBS should hire some of these guys/girls and up their broadcasters imo!

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Agreed with the above. I have the dish flex pack. I added a couple or 3 packages to it and it magically goes from $39.99 a month to $104. Granted it was cheaper than their gold pack by about $11.00 a month to do so and I got a hopper and 2 joeys to go with it. I do get all the major channels including ESPN and ESPN News. I do not subscribe to HBO or any channel like it. I had to pick up cartoon channels for kids. All in all I could prolly get away at $75 or so a month which is ok with me.

On a side note, if my internet was worth a crap, I would explore cutting the cord and see where that took my, but it is to sporadic for me to think about doing currently. But who knows in the future.

CBS should hire some of these guys/girls and up their broadcasters imo!
as an FYI if you call dish to cancel they will throw all kinds of offers at you to get you to stay. I just cancelled for good and it took nearly an hour of me saying "no, I'm done I don't want it, even for $30 a month"

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Still showing Russillo and Kannell on the ESPN Radio website.....

I wonder if DK can sue? You know, so he can get some extra cash to take care of his family and stuff.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Auto racing and college football commentator Jerry Punch
Follow
Dr Jerry Lee Punch @DocPunchESPN
So blessed! 30yrs as host,pxp,reporter in NASCAR,indycar, CFB,& CBB. Many drivers,owners,crew,coaches & fans, lifetime friends. Thank u ESPN
4:25 PM - 26 Apr 2017
618 618 Retweets 3,113 3,113 likes

Jerry Punch was laid off too?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Jerry Punch? Geez. I always enjoyed him doing the college football broadcasts from the sideline, especially back in the 90s. "And now we go to Dr. Jerry Punch, who is an actual doctor, for update on the injury."

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It's a shame ESPN has a monopoly on airing the majority of college football games..Cause we're stuck with them no matter how bad the commentary will become this season..

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Is this the leading edge, of a sports bubble?

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/201...the-leading-edge-of-the-coming-sports-bubble/

It is quite possible that in the years to come players will see their multi-million dollar salaries falling, teams will find fewer fans in the stands, cable TV will see fewer sports channels in existence, and the billions of dollars that currently flow throughout professional sports will dwindle. It is quite conceivable that the gravy train is just about ready to come to an end.

Make no mistake, this will also eventually impact college sports, too.
When the average fan can no longer afford to attend a game, something has to give.

When the average fan has a better "game day" experience, sitting on their couch, something has to give.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.