News Article: ESPN layoffs

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I won't rejoice in anybody losing a job, but their coverage of college football without DK sure won't be any worse.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
This is what happens when you try to become a form of liberal sports commentator network - the two don't mix. They have become MSESPN.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Wow. Those are some staples at ESPN. If they let Schefter go you know the network is in serious trouble. Cannot remember the last time I watched ESPN outside a sporting event.

ETA: No Ed Werder? Who is going to camp out at Cowboys' training camp? Who will give them the scoop when Brett Favre comes out of retirement :)? Seriously, did a great job covering the NFL. The only one with sour grapes, in the list of tweets, was Danny Kannell.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
This is what happens when you try to become a form of liberal sports commentator network - the two don't mix. They have become MSESPN.
I don't think politics had a big role honestly. People are cord cutting and moving on from live TV with the exception of the games themselves.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
http://deadspin.com/a-running-list-of-espn-layoffs-1794664091

You don't think some people are cutting the cord because they don't want to have political agendas shoved down their throats? I want to watch stories and events where I can be out in public and high five a total stranger, not some nonsense that involves telling one side of a story that a sports network has no business telling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
http://deadspin.com/a-running-list-of-espn-layoffs-1794664091

You don't think some people are cutting the cord because they don't want to have political agendas shoved down their throats? I want to watch stories and events where I can be out in public and high five a total stranger, not some nonsense that involves telling one side of a story that a sports network has no business telling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, not really, it has more to do with people moving to streaming, especially millennials. There have been surveys conducted on why the industry is struggling.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Yeah, things like Sling TV, DirecTV now, YouTube TV, PS Vue is the wave now
But here's my question. My brother in law uses Sling TV. He still "gets" all the ESPN channels. So how does ESPN not get paid from that? Is Sling TV pirating ESPN? Or is ESPN simply losing viewers? For example, are people ditching cable but aren't picking up ESPN on these new a la carte options?

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
This is all about cable -cutters and plummeting subscribership. As in any business venture, eventually the laws of mathematics take over.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have empathy for the families impacted. I hope they all land on their feet, though some will be missed (by me) more than others.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.