News Article: ESPN layoffs

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It sure seems like they made a big effort to lay off folks equally for different sports, positions, etc. in an effort to be "fair"....

But, why lay off people like Andy Katz -- who has tremendous value..... and keep others like Beth Mowans......who most people really can't stand?
They definitely didn't want to brush into the racist/sexist card. Andy Katz, I can't fault despite his value. They hit up beat reporters/writers the hardest in this round of firing because I think they're moving away from on-location talent for news and subject-matter writers for their website. He's one of their best but he was likely more expensive and eventually there will be nobody like him in their employ anyway.

Firings/layoffs tend to have HR legal all over it and this goes for ESPN or any business. This isn't just the managers deciding their low-performers or who they can afford to part with and still function. HR is trying to balance it so the organization is protected from discrimination or wrongful termination lawsuit. Sorry to HR people on here but the reality is that HR is more about protecting the company from their employees at the end of the day.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
So I don't get in more trouble than I should, I'll just put this link up, and let everyone peruse it at their own discretion.

It shows the change in demographics, for the deplorable city of Cincinnati (it looks just like Pittsburgh, but with stranger color houses, and Pittsburgh is still a dump, even without all the steel mills Mom's family worked in), from 2015 to 2016, for the various ESPN shows and networks.

http://www.deeprootanalytics.com/20...political-in-2016-it-lost-republican-viewers/

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
91's correct. I just misread. I was shocked also and I should have double-checked...
No worries. Actually, when looking at the Wikipedia page itself it shows this:

Laurece "Rece" Davis (born December 14, 1956)[1]

However, on the Google search page, it shows his birth year as 1966.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I suppose this will fit in here, since it involves the shrinking TV market: Twitter will broadcast CUSA games for free 24/7 this year. I am not sure if this has audio or not, but for a fan who never gets to see his team on TV this could be a good thing.

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/conf...twitter-this-year-g5-stadium-tv-contract-cusa

Last month American Sports Network, Campus Insiders, and 120 Sports announced a mega media merger which we expected to be a huge boon for G5 coverage. This week that has come to fruition as those three companies have formed to create a network called STADIUM. Starting this fall, STADIUM will air C-USA games through Twitter.

Per a press release, STADIUM will be live streamed 24/7 with original programming.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Turned out ESPN last night and this was on. 2 women wearing feminist shirts talking about police shootings. Yea, no doubt why ESPN is falling off so much. Imagine you get home and want to catch up on sports news/highlights for the day. You turn on ESPN and see this:

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Turned out ESPN last night and this was on. 2 women wearing feminist shirts talking about police shootings. Yea, no doubt why ESPN is falling off so much. Imagine you get home and want to catch up on sports news/highlights for the day. You turn on ESPN and see this:

On first blush I thought the scroll said "sports had been canceled" :)

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
So I don't get in more trouble than I should, I'll just put this link up, and let everyone peruse it at their own discretion.

http://www.deeprootanalytics.com/20...political-in-2016-it-lost-republican-viewers/
The folks who made that survey were criticized for only using one market. In answer to that, they went on to look at 43 markets, and the result is pretty much the same.

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/201...iewers-abandoned-espn-nearly-every-tv-market/

At a time where ESPN and the larger cable industry faces changes to its business model as consumption patterns and methods evolve, our data indicates that ESPN is also facing a partisan challenge. Given ESPN’s own admission that it has become more political – and on-the-record comments from ESPN talent saying that the network’s liberal nature is likely driving away viewers – this problem appears to be largely self-inflicted at a time when the network cannot afford to lose any more of its audience.
(Emphasis mine, because...............well..........why not.)

The usual disclaimer of "It is on TrumpBart, so you know it has to be true" applies.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
I use a combo of Sling/Netflix/OTA antenna (1), watch ESPN for live events only (2), and have been so turned off by the tv side that I no longer visit their web site (3).

I feel like the number of people that those 3 things are true of is growing rapidly and hits ESPN in the wallet from multiple angles.

I think ESPN needs to follow the NFL Network model and fill more of its airtime with past live events and documentaries highlighting those events. America's Game on NFLN is fantastic as well as the Top100 countdown every year. I really don't even watch the NFL but I can always get caught up in the stories and plays from past great games.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I'm expecting Kaitlyn/Bruce Jenner to be announced as the new MNF sideline reporter.
Yes, go read the short story "Harrison Bergeron" if you want to see how Kurt Vonnegut predicted how some people's ridiculous obsessions with equality/political correctness/individual rights over the common good would turn out. It served as a warning many years ago, but more and more it seems that we are headed down this preposterous path. When we continue to allow the individual rights of some to be valued more than the individual rights of others, or we try to force the word equality to mean that people are equal in every way instead of just their protection under the law is equal, we will look foolish in the end. The movie Idiocracy is another vision of how it seems common sense isn't so common any more.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The folks who made that survey were criticized for only using one market. In answer to that, they went on to look at 43 markets, and the result is pretty much the same.

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/201...iewers-abandoned-espn-nearly-every-tv-market/

The usual disclaimer of "It is on TrumpBart, so you know it has to be true" applies.
I can tell you that the Colon Kapernutcase was all it took for me to tune ESPN out for good. The few who dared criticize him were shortly made to apologize. Of course they said they were not made to apologize, but when we all know they will have to retract their words (and they do) then we all know they were made to "tow the company PC line." I hope they go bankrupt all the way to the PC poorhouse.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Yep. If they did not almost own SEC televised sports, I would never turn them on. I have actually gone to the expedient of listening to Alabama Sport Radio Network on-line, even with a 30-second delay to avoid having to listen to ESPN's knuckleheads. In between live (Alabama) events, I never go to ESPN. Ever.
"If hatin' ESPN is wrong, I don't wanna be right."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.