2017 NFL Draft Thread (April 27-29)

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Cleveland has wasted their picks IMO. Can't believe they didn't try and get at least one of the QBs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I might be in the minority but I think it was a good call by them. I am not sold on any of the 1st round QBs and my favorite of them (Watson) is going to need some time to adjust or a really great supporting cast around him. Lucky for him he will get that in Houston.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I can think of another two names ESPNPMS needs to add to their fired people: McShay and Kiper.

These guys have ZERO connections, nobody tells them anything, and someone serving a life sentence for murder who has never even seen a football game could arbitrarily match as many right as these guys get.
I'm sure you'll give me a mini-essay in response - no offense - but I hardly think it's fair to blame them for Chicago's GM being a blithering idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
They need a team, not a QB - lots of holes all over that team. Besides, none of the QBs in this year's draft was considered "can't miss".
You have to remember what they did last year though. They traded picks instead of drafting Carson Wentz. So they essentially drafted Jabril Peppers + some mid round picks this year instead of having what looks to be a franchise QB in Carson Wentz. They can fill all the holes on their team but they aren't going anywhere with Cody Kessler. I think Myles Garrett + DeShaun Watson would've filled the most important position on defense (pass rusher) and on offense. You're right though they did fill some needs but I just think they've passed on 2 franchise QBs 2 years in a row for players who will never make that kind of impact..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Here's my .02 on how the Titans did:

I was pretty disappointed with the selection of Corey Davis with the #5 overall selection. If you're going to take a WR that high in the draft he needs to be as much of a can't miss prospect as possible (big, tall, fast) like Calvin Johnson, Julio, AJ Green etc. I think if you go WR there you have to go with Mike Williams. But, I would've taken Jamal Adams with the #5 pick. I think he'll be a great leader and he's very versatile. Titans need just as much help in the secondary as they do at WR.

The next pick I thought for sure we'd get a player who could be a solid contributor from day 1. These are the players still on the board at that time: OJ Howard, Reuben Foster, Evan Engram, Gareon Conley, Tre'Davious White. It would be tempting to take Foster there but the Titans really need some help in the pass game so I would've gone with OJ Howard or Evan Engram. Instead, they pick what I consider to be a luxury pick in Adoree' Jackson. Jackson is a fantastic athlete who will instantly upgrade the special teams play (kick/punt return) but I don't see him as a big contributor in the secondary.

So the Titans selected Corey Davis and Adoree' Jackson when we could've had Jamal Adams and Howard, Engram or Foster :(

I know there's a few other Titans fans on here. Let me know how you think we did..

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I'm not terribly surprised with the Alabama guys slides, Foster's is well documented. I believe the supposed shoulder problems Alan has will amount to nothing. These GM's don't choose the best players for the first round, they choose either the safest bets or they reach wildly for some player who they think will somehow blossom. I think you could do better by just taking the best football player available who fits your needs and letting the chips fall where they may. The choices I was perplexed by were the Quarterbacks. I don't see any QB's this year who warrant 1st round at all and yet one went #2 overall, and of the QB's available only one DeShawn Watson appears to be anywhere near ready to play and he went last. I'm also not convinced Christian McCaffrey is an NFL running back, time will tell.

The teams I think won round one:

Ironically Cleveland, got the best QB available IMO, a great pass rusher, and Peppers, Peppers will need more development than people realize but I still see him as a solid player down the road.

Washington: getting Jonathan Allen with the 17th pick is highway robbery.

49ers, getting Foster with 31st pick, Pittsburgh is going to wonder in a year or two what they were thinking taking Watt, they drafted a "name" and not a football player. Unless his brother comes along as a package deal they blew it. Foster is not CJ Mosley in coverage but he's not bad and in the NFL you still have to stop the run FIRST or nothing else after that matters.

Also, 3 DB's from Ohio State in the first round?? Did they watch the film? These guys collectively suck.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I might be in the minority but I think it was a good call by them. I am not sold on any of the 1st round QBs and my favorite of them (Watson) is going to need some time to adjust or a really great supporting cast around him. Lucky for him he will get that in Houston.
I agree. I think Cleveland did fairly well last night. If Deshaun Watson was a reach as a 1st round QB, as it seems was the case, then there were no 1st round QBs in this class. Chicago and especially Arizona are going to be disappointed with themselves. Especially Arizona. Has a Texas Tech QB, since the Mike Leach air raid era began, ever had any success in the NFL? And this guy, Mahones, is far more underwhelming than most of them over the years. As I said last night, he was a 4th round pick at the very best, and yet he goes in the top 10. That's some high level garbage scouting going on. And none of this is to disparage the athletes. Good on them if some sucker GM drafts them before they should be drafted. I hope they save their money well.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I'm not terribly surprised with the Alabama guys slides, Foster's is well documented. I believe the supposed shoulder problems Alan has will amount to nothing. These GM's don't choose the best players for the first round, they choose either the safest bets or they reach wildly for some player who they think will somehow blossom. I think you could do better by just taking the best football player available who fits your needs and letting the chips fall where they may. The choices I was perplexed by were the Quarterbacks. I don't see any QB's this year who warrant 1st round at all and yet one went #2 overall, and of the QB's available only one DeShawn Watson appears to be anywhere near ready to play and he went last. I'm also not convinced Christian McCaffrey is an NFL running back, time will tell.

The teams I think won round one:

Ironically Cleveland, got the best QB available IMO, a great pass rusher, and Peppers, Peppers will need more development than people realize but I still see him as a solid player down the road.

Washington: getting Jonathan Allen with the 17th pick is highway robbery.

49ers, getting Foster with 31st pick, Pittsburgh is going to wonder in a year or two what they were thinking taking Watt, they drafted a "name" and not a football player. Unless his brother comes along as a package deal they blew it. Foster is not CJ Mosley in coverage but he's not bad and in the NFL you still have to stop the run FIRST or nothing else after that matters.

Also, 3 DB's from Ohio State in the first round?? Did they watch the film? These guys collectively suck.
Cleveland didn't draft a QB. They got Garrett, Peppers and Njoku..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I can think of another two names ESPNPMS needs to add to their fired people: McShay and Kiper.

These guys have ZERO connections, nobody tells them anything, and someone serving a life sentence for murder who has never even seen a football game could arbitrarily match as many right as these guys get.
You want to get rid of every other person that does a mock draft, too? These guys go off what their sources tell them. No matter the draft analyst. Every year they get played by their sources. I get it, too. Teams can't show their hand too much because then other teams would try to jump them in order to get a particular player.

Just stinks because the mock drafts give us all an idea on how it will go, and then a team does something no one expected and throws the entire thing off.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Nick Saban lends new insight into Reuben Foster shoulder injury that hurt NFL draft stock

Nick Saban spoke to AL.com late Thursday night about several issues related to Alabama's first-round picks. That included Foster's shoulder.

"Look, the way we like for things to get handled, that didn't get handled," Saban told AL.com. "We have the best doctors in the world in Dr. (James) Andrews and Dr. (Lyle) Cain who operate on most NFL players and his agent chose to take him someplace else. I think (Andrews and Cain) have tremendous credibility.

"So, you know, all these choices and decisions that you make have consequences and I hate it for our players when they do it, but he didn't seek my advice in what he should do. So, if that was an issue, that was an issue. It shouldn't have been an issue but if it was, I don't really know much about it."

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I agree. I think Cleveland did fairly well last night. If Deshaun Watson was a reach as a 1st round QB, as it seems was the case, then there were no 1st round QBs in this class. Chicago and especially Arizona are going to be disappointed with themselves. Especially Arizona. Has a Texas Tech QB, since the Mike Leach air raid era began, ever had any success in the NFL? And this guy, Mahones, is far more underwhelming than most of them over the years. As I said last night, he was a 4th round pick at the very best, and yet he goes in the top 10. That's some high level garbage scouting going on. And none of this is to disparage the athletes. Good on them if some sucker GM drafts them before they should be drafted. I hope they save their money well.
Yea, I think if you need a QB in this draft it is better to wait and take some of the later round guys. I really like the Pitt QB and other people rave about Dobbs for some reason I don't understand.

You want to get rid of every other person that does a mock draft, too? These guys go off what their sources tell them. No matter the draft analyst. Every year they get played by their sources. I get it, too. Teams can't show their hand too much because then other teams would try to jump them in order to get a particular player.

Just stinks because the mock drafts give us all an idea on how it will go, and then a team does something no one expected and throws the entire thing off.
Also, Mel Kiper is one of two people who made the draft what it is today. Just read a really interesting story about it.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't trust agents to always be looking out for your best interest because lets say that agency has several linebackers they represent and the rising tide of Reuben Foster problems raises the boats for all their clients? Well, it doesn't have to even be linebackers. What if they know basically who is looking to take him and know that a certain story getting out will lead to another client getting taken by them instead...knowing full well that Foster won't drop out of the first at the end of the day.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
news from redskins about johnathan allen

I am originally from northern va. before coming to tenn with the usaf. big redskin fan. watched the wash d.c. sport shows this morning, and analyst trevor matich. they are so thrilled to get allen. they could not believe that he dropped to the 17th round and they could get him. they are not worried about the shoulder problem. dr Andrews assured them he would be fine. Jonathan is originally from ashburn, va considered the home base of the redskins. what a great opportunity for both. watching trevor live from D.C talk show, he before allen was picked he talked about the redskins should consider dalvan tomlison as a pick at 17, that watching film he kept seeing tomlison providing so much support to bama keeping offensive blockers off allen. that he would be a great pick with his strength and toughness. I am so happy for my bama men, my redskins. I cant believe the talent that slid down the line with teams worrying about wide receivers, and very few def linemen and off linemen the keys to success. foster being dropped because of his taking some fluids before the pro day. he is a beast and wll provide any team a immediate upgrade. cam robinson, because his 40 time was considered to high, for two years I watched destroy people leading yeldon, henry, and last years bo performance.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You have to remember what they did last year though. They traded picks instead of drafting Carson Wentz. So they essentially drafted Jabril Peppers + some mid round picks this year instead of having what looks to be a franchise QB in Carson Wentz. They can fill all the holes on their team but they aren't going anywhere with Cody Kessler. I think Myles Garrett + DeShaun Watson would've filled the most important position on defense (pass rusher) and on offense. You're right though they did fill some needs but I just think they've passed on 2 franchise QBs 2 years in a row for players who will never make that kind of impact..
None of the NFL GMs see Watson as a franchise QB. We might, but they do not.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I am originally from northern va. before coming to tenn with the usaf. big redskin fan. watched the wash d.c. sport shows this morning, and analyst trevor matich. they are so thrilled to get allen. they could not believe that he dropped to the 17th round and they could get him. they are not worried about the shoulder problem. dr Andrews assured them he would be fine. Jonathan is originally from ashburn, va considered the home base of the redskins. what a great opportunity for both. watching trevor live from D.C talk show, he before allen was picked he talked about the redskins should consider dalvan tomlison as a pick at 17, that watching film he kept seeing tomlison providing so much support to bama keeping offensive blockers off allen. that he would be a great pick with his strength and toughness. I am so happy for my bama men, my redskins. I cant believe the talent that slid down the line with teams worrying about wide receivers, and very few def linemen and off linemen the keys to success. foster being dropped because of his taking some fluids before the pro day. he is a beast and wll provide any team a immediate upgrade. cam robinson, because his 40 time was considered to high, for two years I watched destroy people leading yeldon, henry, and last years bo performance.
I am also a huge Redskins fan and fully support the idea of getting Tomlinson. I also love the idea of grabbing Tim Williams at some point. We need a pass rusher and with Allen we have a great leader on D who know Williams and won't be afraid to call him out and also support him off the field.

3 things.

1. We have no idea how good Wentz really is yet and we really have no idea how good Watson will be in the NFL.

2. Look at the rookie QBs who have the most success most years. They are either Andrew Luck type or go to teams that have a good supporting cast. What is the point of drafting a rookie QB if you don't have the pieces around him that will help him succeed.

3. Don't draft a QB early just because you need a QB. Look at past drafts, there are often 0 franchise QBs in some drafts so there is no guarantee that you would even get a QB worth it. Why overdraft a player when there are better players left?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.