2017 NFL Draft Thread (April 27-29)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree. Although he didn't show it so much for us he has a chance to be a really solid possession receiver. His blocking skills were totally Built BY Bama. He got really good at it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True. If you're a receiver and you can't/don't block, then you don't see the field for Saban...

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Travis Rudolph and Ricky Seals-Jones undrafted. Man alive. Didn't see that coming.
I know these guys and others will get their chance in a camp somewhere but it does seem strange. Each year the list of guys going undrafted includes several dudes we know are talented and of whom we've never heard negative news about. These GMs, scouts, etc. are serious football people, but I think (in my layman opinion) that they often overthink things and become too enamored with their own evaluations.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
If he produces he will. You know how fickle and "what have you done for me lately" the NFL can be..
People are completely dismissing Trevor Siemian for some reason. I thought he surprisingly had a really good 1st year as the starter. Jmho but Kelly and Lynch both have their work cut out for them to beat him out.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I know these guys and others will get their chance in a camp somewhere but it does seem strange. Each year the list of guys going undrafted includes several dudes we know are talented and of whom we've never heard negative news about. These GMs, scouts, etc. are serious football people, but I think (in my layman opinion) that they often overthink things and become too enamored with their own evaluations.
Foster being a prime example...

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
There was some scuttlebutt about Foster sliding due to a late injury report. Does anyone know if any hard facts came out on that as the reason he fell? If it's true it seems a little unfair that there would be an 11th hour report that could hurt someone that badly while he has no time to refute it.

If Reuben turns into a pro bowl ILB, this will be another Aaron Rodgers type story.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
There was some scuttlebutt about Foster sliding due to a late injury report. Does anyone know if any hard facts came out on that as the reason he fell? If it's true it seems a little unfair that there would be an 11th hour report that could hurt someone that badly while he has no time to refute it.

If Reuben turns into a pro bowl ILB, this will be another Aaron Rodgers type story.
Basically the same thing they did to Reggie Ragland last year IRT his heart condition. No new information but the late report hurt both players..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It's hard for us because we don't always know about the solid players in the lower levels. Think that's why guys like Rudolph and RSJ go undrafted.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The draft really is an example of the faults in human reasoning. You could just draft All-Americans and there would be a decent percentage of "busts" because you can't fully predict how someone will function as a professional. The thing is that is true for all graduates coming out of college. Their prospective employers take a chance based on a rough estimation of academic success and a limited portfolio of work. The difference with athletics and regular graduates is that the employers get to see athletes do exactly what they will pay them to do in college. A place like Google or Facebook may have a good idea what a Computer Science graduate will do when they hire them but they really don't know. CS degrees really are suppose to create theorists not software engineers...so you might've just hired a person that can do the computer maths but cant write a lick of software.

With that said, there is no reason to try to be the smartest man in the room with the early picks: look at the post-season awards (national and conference), watch the tape to confirm it, and draft those guys. The pick may bust, but the percentages say that if they were great in college they're more likely to be great in the NFL. There haven't too many crappy college players that became all-pros.

Why doesn't it go like that though? Because busts will always happen so people get paid to avoid the landmine but in the process they just end up drafting more landmines because they forget that past performance will often predict future performance.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA

Reuben was given very good advice about who to treat his shoulder, and several good options/choices to represent him as an agent, and he went other directions. May have cost him some money in the draft, but hey, if you go early, it's usually to a crappy team. So given the fact that being anywhere in the first round you immediately go to millionaire status, and generally get picked by a better team if you go later, going in the top several picks is overrated depending on your goals. I personally believe that the Browns made a terrible first pick. Garrett shows a propensity to be lazy and take plays off too often, and that doesn't bode well for work ethic that you need to survive the NFL.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Over their first round pick last year Paxton Lynch?
That's why I put my number at "within 3". I think Elway is a horrible judge at college talent but a good deal maker with free agents and trades. I think he overvalued Lynch and undervalued Kelly. I truly believe Kelly might be one of the top 5 quarterbacks in the past 2 drafts. The questions are his health and off the field antics.

Fwiw I think he is probably more NFL ready than Lynch. I really don't think Siemeon is the long term answer the Broncos are looking for.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The draft really is an example of the faults in human reasoning. You could just draft All-Americans and there would be a decent percentage of "busts" because you can't fully predict how someone will function as a professional. The thing is that is true for all graduates coming out of college. Their prospective employers take a chance based on a rough estimation of academic success and a limited portfolio of work. The difference with athletics and regular graduates is that the employers get to see athletes do exactly what they will pay them to do in college. A place like Google or Facebook may have a good idea what a Computer Science graduate will do when they hire them but they really don't know. CS degrees really are suppose to create theorists not software engineers...so you might've just hired a person that can do the computer maths but cant write a lick of software.

With that said, there is no reason to try to be the smartest man in the room with the early picks: look at the post-season awards (national and conference), watch the tape to confirm it, and draft those guys. The pick may bust, but the percentages say that if they were great in college they're more likely to be great in the NFL. There haven't too many crappy college players that became all-pros.

Why doesn't it go like that though? Because busts will always happen so people get paid to avoid the landmine but in the process they just end up drafting more landmines because they forget that past performance will often predict future performance.
And fans would be more accepting of a bust that was an AA and award winner. People don't fault the Raiders for Rolando. People will fault the Bears if Trubisky doesn't work out, though.

Reuben was given very good advice about who to perform his surgery, and several good options/choices to represent him as an agent, and he went other directions. May have cost him some money in the draft, but hey, if you go early, it's usually to a crappy team. So given the fact that being anywhere in the first round you immediately go to millionaire status, and play for a better team, going in the top several picks is overrated depending on your goals. I personally believe that the Browns made a terrible first pick. Garrett shows a propensity to be lazy and take plays off too often, and that doesn't bode well for work ethic that you need to survive the NFL.
He went to a bad team (had the second overall pick before trading down with Chicago) that traded back into the first round to draft him.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Niners had the best first round in my opinion. They got 2 of the 5 best defensive prospects in the draft. I'd have to look at everyone's haul a few times to get an idea on where their full draft lies but it was a strong start. Their defense was among the worst last year. They needed defensive personnel everywhere. They got two high-floor-high-ceiling defensive players.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I guess with my last post in mind, I'm gonna thumb through and point out some of the draft hauls I like:

Titans - Corey Davis, Adoree Jackson, and Teywan Taylor were their first three picks. I was really high on Davis and Taylor as Group of Five WRs and Tennessee got both of them. Tennessee also needs help in the secondary and Jackson is a high-ceiling type steal in the 2nd round. He's not super polished as a cover corner but you can't teach speed and he has it in spades. Jackson is basically Pacman Jones without a criminal record and with more "high-character." At worse, he's a longterm NFL returner. At best, he's a pro-bowl quality corner/returner.

Bucs - Tampa is attempting to surround Jameis with a veritable buffet of targets. OJ Howard and Chris Godwin give him two more big bodies who can stretch the field vertically along with Mike Evans. They added Desean Jackson in free agency who is still a burner in his late stages. Beckwith in the 3rd round was a great grab. Guy was a tackling machine in Baton Rogue...with McCoy in the middle, he should have some free range.

Texans - They drafted Watson, Zach Cunningham, and D'Onta Foreman with their first three picks. I think they got three good starters and a potential star in Watson. Foreman had a big year for a bad Texas team. Don't sleep on him.

Bengals - This team doesn't get too wrapped up with Goodell's long arm of the law or ESPN's constant moral panic. They drafted another problem player and will likely be rewarded for it. I think Ross and Mixon are likely starters while Willis and Lawson could end up helping their pass rush.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
That's why I put my number at "within 3". I think Elway is a horrible judge at college talent but a good deal maker with free agents and trades. I think he overvalued Lynch and undervalued Kelly. I truly believe Kelly might be one of the top 5 quarterbacks in the past 2 drafts. The questions are his health and off the field antics.

Fwiw I think he is probably more NFL ready than Lynch. I really don't think Siemian is the long term answer the Broncos are looking for.
He may or may not but it's too early to tell. I thought he had a great 1st season. As a Broncos fan Elway is my favorite QB ever but Siemian's stats were every bit as good or better in some places than any of John's 1st 10 seasons. He also was 8-6 and was tied for 7th in the NFL with 3 comebacks. Poll most Broncos fans and the majority want and or think Trevor should remain the starter.

As for Elway's judgement of talent....I will say I was very disappointed in the Broncos selections this year. I didn't really like opening and closing the draft with two guys that both have such strong off the field character issues. Still think we should have taken Reuben with our 1st pick.

Last edited:

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Reuben was given very good advice about who to treat his shoulder, and several good options/choices to represent him as an agent, and he went other directions. May have cost him some money in the draft, but hey, if you go early, it's usually to a crappy team. So given the fact that being anywhere in the first round you immediately go to millionaire status, and generally get picked by a better team if you go later, going in the top several picks is overrated depending on your goals. I personally believe that the Browns made a terrible first pick. Garrett shows a propensity to be lazy and take plays off too often, and that doesn't bode well for work ethic that you need to survive the NFL.
Well, he is going to get paid millions, but actually, Reuben is not in the greatest position right now compared to where we thought he'd be. Taxes in CA are going to be murder, and San Francisco is unbelievably expensive. It's a shame to hear he didn't take good advice on an agent because he doesn't strike me as a very savvy businessman. I hope he makes good decisions.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He may or may not but it's too early to tell. I thought he had a great 1st season. As a Broncos fan Elway is my favorite QB ever but Siemian's stats were every bit as good or better in some places than any of John's 1st 10 seasons. He also was 8-6 and was tied for 7th in the NFL with 3 comebacks. Poll most Broncos fans and the majority want and or think Trevor should remain the starter.

As for Elway's judgement of talent....I will say I was very disappointed in the Broncos selections this year. I didn't really like opening and closing the draft with two guys that both have such strong off the field character issues. Still think we should have taken Reuben with our 1st pick.
He did okay in my opinion, but the issue is that Elway gambled everything on Peyton, and didn't have an heir apparent when he retired. Osweiler really hurt the Broncos by getting kicked off, but I still think the defense was good enough to take a gamble on a AJ Mccarron or a Fitzpatrick to temporarily fill the void. I really think the main concern now is out of the 3 qbs they presently have, which one if any can get them back into contention for the West. It's a position that Broncos aren't too familiar with, but the truth is Del Rio and Reid have created monsters in KC and Oakland. It could be some time before the Broncos get back to the playoffs, but a good quarterback can solve that problem.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.