JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Next Year’s Draft Haul Could Eclipse 2017 Numbers
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
April 30th, 2017 02:38 AM

By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief April 30, 2017 Alabama wrapped up the 2017 NFL Draft in impressive fashion, as 10 Crimson Tide players found new homes. An 11th, wide receiver Gehrig Dieter, quickly signed a free-agent contract within an hour of the draft’s close. By the time the 2018 class is in the books, the […]

Read More Here

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Jess, pretty sure Hootie is a senior. He was with CamRob and Cam Sims, and I don't recall him redshirting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Foster has the best combination of size and speed on the team, but he is also injury-prone and more or less missed being in the playing rotation last year due to conflict with one or more assistant coaches.
Hadn't heard this before. Very interesting, but stupid.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Sometimes a coach might play "his" guys. Notice how Foster was expected to be gone but now is staying with Napier gone?

Yeah, I did notice (I mean I thought foster would transfer). figured it to be either Napier or Kiffin. I'm routing for Foster to have a big year now.

Last edited:

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Also I think Hassenaur is not a senior. Didn't he come in with Casher and Ross P .?
Maybe Warmack is a senior?
Hassenauer did come in with Casher and Pierschbacher, but Hassenauer never redshirted.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Yeah, I did notice (I mean I thought foster would transfer). figured it to be either Napier or Kiffin. I'm routing for Foster to have a big year now.
More Kiffin than Napier but probably was a combination of both.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Hassenauer did come in with Casher and Pierschbacher, but Hassenauer never redshirted.
Oh, wow. My bad. I didn't realize he played in one game as a frosh. Dang, that sucks for him because he would have had a good chance to start for one year after Bozeman. It's pretty amazing he didn't do a grad transfer thing and get a year to play somewhere.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Oh, wow. My bad. I didn't realize he played in one game as a frosh. Dang, that sucks for him because he would have had a good chance to start for one year after Bozeman. It's pretty amazing he didn't do a grad transfer thing and get a year to play somewhere.
Yeah, it stinks for him, to be sure. The one objective weakness of Saban has been roster management, particularly as it pertains to redshirt management. Sure would have been nice to have had Jeremy Shelley for another year, but we burned a redshirt so he could kick PATs against someone once. I will say, however, that Hassenauer has probably not lived up to billing yet, so it's not a guarantee that he would have started next year. I will say he has never looked better than he does right now, though. I feel better about what would happen if Bozeman got injured than I used to. Judging from what we saw at A-Day, center in 2018 is going to be somewhat of a circus. Chris Owens has a very, very long way to go on snaps with the QB out from under center. I am thinking Josh Casher wins the job, or maybe you get someone like Womack or Petitbon moving there and competing. Brandon Kennedy is another possibility.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I think it would be surprising if this class had the same numbers. Hopefully these guys will produce and show the NFL gms what Bama players can do. I think they will all be solid but I'm biased. I do have a feeling Robert Foster will show out this year. He's stuck it out and that is a good sign. Pulling for him.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Womack or Warmack?
Yeah, it stinks for him, to be sure. The one objective weakness of Saban has been roster management, particularly as it pertains to redshirt management. Sure would have been nice to have had Jeremy Shelley for another year, but we burned a redshirt so he could kick PATs against someone once. I will say, however, that Hassenauer has probably not lived up to billing yet, so it's not a guarantee that he would have started next year. I will say he has never looked better than he does right now, though. I feel better about what would happen if Bozeman got injured than I used to. Judging from what we saw at A-Day, center in 2018 is going to be somewhat of a circus. Chris Owens has a very, very long way to go on snaps with the QB out from under center. I am thinking Josh Casher wins the job, or maybe you get someone like Womack or Petitbon moving there and competing. Brandon Kennedy is another possibility.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Yes, I was wondering if he meant Womack would be tried at center or it was a misprint.
I am talking about Matt Womack getting tried there. There doesn't seem to be any inherent edge to moving guards (i.e., Warmack) to center; it tends to be about who can snap the ball with the fewest "whoops" moments. For that reason I'm a bit surprised in seeing Owens; either they see something in him I don't or he just had a bad day. He's kind of an odd guy anyway -- almost the classic guard body but he spent last year, as well as a significant portion of this spring, backing up left tackle.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Makes sense; Womack just looks huge out there. But getting the ball to the QB is a priority for sure
I am talking about Matt Womack getting tried there. There doesn't seem to be any inherent edge to moving guards (i.e., Warmack) to center; it tends to be about who can snap the ball with the fewest "whoops" moments. For that reason I'm a bit surprised in seeing Owens; either they see something in him I don't or he just had a bad day. He's kind of an odd guy anyway -- almost the classic guard body but he spent last year, as well as a significant portion of this spring, backing up left tackle.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.