Can we discuss the catch all threads?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Just curious but what threads do you believe should be on the pro sports board?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NFL draft threads? There are currently 8 separate threads that have to do with the draft, mock draft and individual players being drafted.

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
It's not a big problem for me. I usually open the last page and look at the posts from that day. Usually I can get a flow for what's going on. I visited a competitors thread last week and there were like 12 threads on the draft. Also I really think the mods on this site do an excellent job. Other than moving something to the NS board occasionally, we're given a lot of leeway.JMO

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I joined this site when the ESPN boards went to the "Robust" :rolleyes: format several years ago. I don't contribute or start threads very often but I visit and read almost daily. My primary interest is football and basketball. I'm not a member of any other sites nor do I visit any on a regular basis. I will visit ITAT for its entertainment value when someone advise a "Melty Goodness" event. If there's a thread I've fallen behind on I'll hit the high spots and maybe contribute.

This a very well structured site and can't be expected to please everyone all the time. It's the best site on the web and I'm thankful for it.

RTR!!!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
NFL draft threads? There are currently 8 separate threads that have to do with the draft, mock draft and individual players being drafted.
We had almost no draft threads - when we were having no players drafted. I think it's normal to have them here, when they involve immediate past Bama players. Also, the draft threads tend to die and drift off the front page after the draft is over, so they're not a continuing problem. And, as has been observed, we're much more lenient during offseason and offseason stretches all the way from the spring game and the draft to the September preseason camp...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I joined this site when the ESPN boards went to the "Robust" :rolleyes: format several years ago. I don't contribute or start threads very often but I visit and read almost daily. My primary interest is football and basketball. I'm not a member of any other sites nor do I visit any on a regular basis. I will visit ITAT for its entertainment value when someone advise a "Melty Goodness" event. If there's a thread I've fallen behind on I'll hit the high spots and maybe contribute.

This a very well structured site and can't be expected to please everyone all the time. It's the best site on the web and I'm thankful for it.

RTR!!!
You're on notice that there are some melty goodness threads on ITAT now concerning the disparity in draft results for UA and AU. And you're correct. We can't please everyone. Also, if you're interested in popularity, serving here on staff is not the right path, particularly if you're an administrator... :D

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Weird thing - when I view this forum on my Android, I am able to navigate directly to the first post in the thread which had not been posted during my last visit to the site. So I jump back into a longer thread exactly where I left off. On my laptop, using either IE or Firefox, I lose that ability. I click on a thread and it takes me back to the first post. I can click on a page number to take me to a page, but I don't try to keep track of page numbers for threads, so I have no idea where I left off.

Is there something that could be done to allow us to jump directly to "new" posts - as in, new to us since our last browsing session? Some of the other boards that I frequent do this.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
You're on notice that there are some melty goodness threads on ITAT now concerning the disparity in draft results for UA and AU. And you're correct. We can't please everyone. Also, if you're interested in popularity, serving here on staff is not the right path, particularly if you're an administrator... :D
Thanks for the suggestion. Itat just provided a solid hour of entertainment.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Weird thing - when I view this forum on my Android, I am able to navigate directly to the first post in the thread which had not been posted during my last visit to the site. So I jump back into a longer thread exactly where I left off. On my laptop, using either IE or Firefox, I lose that ability. I click on a thread and it takes me back to the first post. I can click on a page number to take me to a page, but I don't try to keep track of page numbers for threads, so I have no idea where I left off.

Is there something that could be done to allow us to jump directly to "new" posts - as in, new to us since our last browsing session? Some of the other boards that I frequent do this.
You know, I don't think there's anything which can be done on our end on that. The boards simply display as vBulletin dictates. I think what's happening is that your Android browser is "remembering" where you were, whereas your laptop browsers aren't. I use Firefox and, occasionally, Chrome, and they don't remember. I just see the board as displayed when I hit F5 and update it. Threads with new material I haven't read are bolded (usually)...

Bamamax1

Scout Team
Jan 10, 2017
It can also be helpful if the OP of a mega thread, like the one about the draft, were to edit the original post to include major updates. For instance, the thread about the NFL draft could have been edited many times to include items of interest that occur in the draft, with links if appropriate to other places in the thread or external material. A number of guys here do that with things like recruiting threads and awards threads already. Anyone who starts a thread can do this.
I'm was the one who started that and I'm not sure how to do that.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I like the catch all for major "events" like the draft. It reminds me of the game threads which are always huge and go very quickly. If you step away for a couple minutes, you are behind. I love them, because then you don't have a million different threads to read.

I get notifications if someone quotes me. That way I can go directly to their post on Tapatalk. That is helpful on the big threads, so it doesn't get lost if you ask a question.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I like the catch-all threads. Keeps posters from post 50 things about the Barn and can skip the thread for weeks at a time. Like Earle stated, it was looking like an Auburn board at one point. It also seemed to be the same posters that were posting all things Auburn, I was starting to think they were secret Auburn fans.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
You know, I don't think there's anything which can be done on our end on that. The boards simply display as vBulletin dictates. I think what's happening is that your Android browser is "remembering" where you were, whereas your laptop browsers aren't. I use Firefox and, occasionally, Chrome, and they don't remember. I just see the board as displayed when I hit F5 and update it. Threads with new material I haven't read are bolded (usually)...
What's weird is Tapatalk still does it after I've been on my computer. It somehow picks up what I've read on a web browser.

I'm was the one who started that and I'm not sure how to do that.

For future reference, you can do it by editing your post.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
:rofl: Just visited.

Last edited by a moderator:

rtrbama1

1st Team
May 31, 2015
I think it would have been a good idea to have separate threads for each Tide player drafted. If I want to see all the comments on Reuben Foster's draft story, it would be a lot easier to go to his own thread then having to dig through 61 pages.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I think it would have been a good idea to have separate threads for each Tide player drafted. If I want to see all the comments on Reuben Foster's draft story, it would be a lot easier to go to his own thread then having to dig through 61 pages.

That would be 10 separate threads then. :eek2: It might be too much for the football board.

I like the idea though, maybe have a separate thread for each player on the pro sports board? That way all updates can be put in there.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
My chrome browser on my phone or tablet remembers where I left off in most threads on my android device but not my apple device.

I know some topics get lost in the mega threads but I certainly prefer it over the prior free for all.

I have sort of developed this habit of reading the threads backwards. And there are certain posters whose opinion i respect and I just skim the thread looking for their posts. It may not work for everyone but it works for me. Traditionally I won't go back in a thread more than a day regardless of the last time I visited the site. Beyond a day in the past I don't really care what was said on the topic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My chrome browser on my phone or tablet remembers where I left off in most threads on my android device but not my apple device.

I know some topics get lost in the mega threads but I certainly prefer it over the prior free for all.

I have sort of developed this habit of reading the threads backwards. And there are certain posters whose opinion i respect and I just skim the thread looking for their posts. It may not work for everyone but it works for me. Traditionally I won't go back in a thread more than a day regardless of the last time I visited the site. Beyond a day in the past I don't really care what was said on the topic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I also don't always go back to the beginning of time. I just preface my post with SIAP or "this may have been covered"...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.