anybody got any vacation ideas

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Well I got into nursing school, so I'll be starting a new chapter in August. Now my search for rentals in Cape Blas isn't returning much options that doesn't require weekly rentals. I'm not seeing much right on the water either. I've looked on VRBO and other places to no avail. Does anyone familiar with this area have more suggestions I could look into?
Congrats!:hurray:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Well I got into nursing school, so I'll be starting a new chapter in August. Now my search for rentals in Cape Blas isn't returning much options that doesn't require weekly rentals. I'm not seeing much right on the water either. I've looked on VRBO and other places to no avail. Does anyone familiar with this area have more suggestions I could look into?
thats the thing with the Cape, very limited options

are you looking for a hotel, house or Condo? There are no condos or hotels on the Cape, its the reason it is so devoid of people. There are hotels on the beach in Mexico Beach, The Driftwood and The El Governor. I've stayed at the Driftwood once back in 2010 and it was fine. Clean though in need of update. I have friends who love the El Governor but I can't vouch for it myself

http://www.elgovernormotel.net/

if you want a house I can tell you a few rental agencies to use but my guess is that they would all have a week minimum as welll

last, Congrats on Nursing School. We have several nurses in the family and I am convinced that the world would grind to a halt without nurses

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
congrats.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Thanks for the encouragement even though I don't know what I'm getting myself into. Haha.

Anyway, I've found a couple places that doesn't require weekly stays. But I'm wandering how the water is at the St. Joseph Bay. Is it as clear and beautiful as the gulf or it may be the same? I'm not sure. The one property I'm really interested in is a little cottage with its own private beach, but it's on the edge of st. Joseph bay.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Thanks for the encouragement even though I don't know what I'm getting myself into. Haha.

Anyway, I've found a couple places that doesn't require weekly stays. But I'm wandering how the water is at the St. Joseph Bay. Is it as clear and beautiful as the gulf or it may be the same? I'm not sure. The one property I'm really interested in is a little cottage with its own private beach, but it's on the edge of st. Joseph bay.
it varies with current and day. It is typically nice and clear in the morning and then gets rougher less clear as the day wears on. But all that is dependent on many variables. There will be nearly no one on that beach but the word "private" there is misleading at best. There are no private beaches in the area outside of the bomb range at Tyndall (which has been closed since the 60's as a bomb range)

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
never been myself, but we have a friend who goes to apalachicola (sp) bay to fish, relax, etc a few times a year. you may want to check that out.
Apalachicola is a beautiful place and it's also near St. George Island so you can hit two places at once. The only negative part is that you have to go through Eastpoint, FL to get to St. G. You leave beautiful Apalachicola cross the brackish water and when you arrive in Eastpoint it's like you went down the black hole. Seriously, though, both Apalachicola and and St. G island are worth the trip. Great seafood and the beaches are not crowded at all.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
it varies with current and day. It is typically nice and clear in the morning and then gets rougher less clear as the day wears on. But all that is dependent on many variables. There will be nearly no one on that beach but the word "private" there is misleading at best. There are no private beaches in the area outside of the bomb range at Tyndall (which has been closed since the 60's as a bomb range)
Yeah, I thought that was kinda odd too, but the listing says the property line extends to the gulf. :conf2:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Yeah, I thought that was kinda odd too, but the listing says the property line extends to the gulf. :conf2:
private message me the listing and I will look into it for you. I probably know it already but if not I will be there sometime next week and can check it out in person if you'd like

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

If you don't like the water in the Bay, just head out to the state park and hang out on the gulf side beach. There are several public access beaches on the gulf side.

Also, be sure and eat a meal at the Indian Pass Raw Bar.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Came to profess an affection for Savannah/Tybee Island.
If you like history, there's no shortage of it in Savannah, as many of the historic locations were spared from the depredations that ravaged Atlanta and other Georgia towns.
The historic district is small enough to walk around, and there are guided trolley tours with all-day on/off privileges if you want to ride around.
We visited Savannah for the first time a few years ago, elected to get married on Tybee, and we have been back at least once every year.
The Blue Orb night walking ghost tour is really cool. The atmosphere around Savannah's historic district is really cool at night, and you get to hear all the sordid history of Savannah people that committed murders and the ghosts that supposedly inhabit the area.

Tybee is very laid back. As someone mentioned earlier, there are no high-rises, and you can also rent (or bring) a bike and get anywhere on the island, and there are even bike paths.
There are a lot of good places to eat and drink. On Tybee, I'm partial to The Crab Shack, Huc-a-Poo's, AJ's, and CoCo's Sunset Grille. In Savannah, I make sure to go by Moon River on Bay Street at least once per trip. We've also gone by B&D Burgers the last couple of times, and it's been excellent. They have plenty of TVs and will sometimes project a game on the wall of the building next door so you can watch it on the patio. At least they did that last fall with a Georgia game.

I enjoy the beach atmosphere, but I don't care much about actually doing things ON the beach in the waves and the water. I would rather sit around in the shade wearing flip flops and drink something good.
It bears mentioning that Savannah/Tybee is cool about open containers. You can get a strong drink to go from Wet Willie's and walk around with it and nobody will say peep.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I have my vacation now set. I am going to Hilton Head SC, Charleston SC, and Savannah, Ga. I got a great deal on a 5 star resort in Hilton Head. I am fired up and ready to go. I have big deadlines at work and trying to get them done by July 7. The vacation begins after that deadline is done.

I will be looking for recommendations of places that are must see and places to eat.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I have my vacation now set. I am going to Hilton Head SC, Charleston SC, and Savannah, Ga. I got a great deal on a 5 star resort in Hilton Head. I am fired up and ready to go. I have big deadlines at work and trying to get them done by July 7. The vacation begins after that deadline is done.

I will be looking for recommendations of places that are must see and places to eat.
Here are some suggestions for Savannah.

Savannah Historic District: Crispy Diamond Scored Flounder at http://garibaldisavannah.com/ ; The Olde Pink House Restaurant; Leopold's Ice Cream; Clary's Cafe (breakfast or lunch) Also, Huey's, Kevin Berry's Irish Pub ,

Visit Fort Pulaski and take the tour

The Crab Shack (both Fort Pulaski and The Crab Shack are between Savannah and the beaches at Tybee Island). (We visited The Crab Shack a couple of times, both times were during the off-season; it looks like a rowdy place in-season and I might not care for it as much then.)

Last edited:

SavanaBama

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 25, 2000
Huntsville, AL
We lived in Savannah for 5 years and I still go back every year to visit with friends. If you haven't visited Savannah before, I recommend you start with any of the trolley tours. Most, if not all, allow on-off access all day. Just riding through you'll get a real orientation to downtown quickly. Down on River Street, we were always amazed watching the container ships head in / out of Port Wentworth. (I'm not ashamed to admit the geekiness of that!). Just pretty amazing to see the size of those things!

Here are a few of of my favorite restaurants:
B. Mathew's eatery -- specifically for the Black Eye Pea Cake Sandwich! (and if I recall correctly, our UA Alum football watching parties were held here)
Green Truck Pub -- everything is freshly made
Soho South Cafe -- good food and interesting use of a converted gas station!
Vinnie Van Go-Go's -- great place to grab a quick slice of pizza while you're in City Market
Lulu's Chocolate Bar -- good late evening stop, the weather will be cool enough to sit outside and enjoy sipping chocolate after the sun goes down

Word of caution -- July is VERY hot and humid in Savannah. Be prepared!! :eek2: (Or just head off to Leopold's for some ice cream!)

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.