anybody got any vacation ideas

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Mt. Rushmore...is it worth the drive? It is 1,500 miles from where I live and I’d be going the 4th of July week. But I would get to cross three or four states off my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Mt. Rushmore...is it worth the drive? It is 1,500 miles from where I live and I’d be going the 4th of July week. But I would get to cross three or four states off my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even if you drove nonstop it would take an entire 24 hours to do it. Might be worth it to see it.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Even if you drove nonstop it would take an entire 24 hours to do it. Might be worth it to see it.
In my younger days drove to Denver for a family reunion. On the return trip drove north through Wyoming up through the Custer National Forest past the Crazy Horse monument to Mt. Rushmore then non-stop drove back across the badlands to Minnesota and south to our home in Wisconsin.

If I were ranking my bucket list items in the west I would place Mesa Verde (a world heritage site), Monument Valley, Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon, Grand Canyon and the Southern Utah parks well ahead of Mt. Rushmore.

On an earlier trip my wife and I hiked down the Grand Canyon to the Colorado River and managed to survive the hike out. That and Mesa Verde would be at the top of my bucket list.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I'm relocating to Ohio this summer, and we're planning a long road trip. Stopping at Zion, Grand Canyon, Grand Staircase, Yellowstone, and Shoshone. Not sure there's much worth seeing between Badlands and Ohio.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I'm relocating to Ohio this summer, and we're planning a long road trip. Stopping at Zion, Grand Canyon, Grand Staircase, Yellowstone, and Shoshone. Not sure there's much worth seeing between Badlands and Ohio.
There is always Wall Drug! :smile: When we drove through the Badlands we passed Rochester, MN and crossed the Mississippi at La Crosse , WI. I always recall the view of La Crosse and the lowland areas to the east. People always asked me what Wisconsin was like and I would say picture in your mind the most beautiful pastoral painting of a countryside and that would be what it is like in Wisconsin. I lived in Wisconsin for 17 years and my wife is from Dayton, Ohio so we have pretty much covered both states.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
There is always Wall Drug! :smile:
Oh, yay. ;)

When we drove through the Badlands we passed Rochester, MN and crossed the Mississippi at La Crosse , WI. I always recall the view of La Crosse and the lowland areas to the east. People always asked me what Wisconsin was like and I would say picture in your mind the most beautiful pastoral painting of a countryside and that would be what it is like in Wisconsin. I lived in Wisconsin for 17 years and my wife is from Dayton, Ohio so we have pretty much covered both states.
We might take a similar route. Also considering swinging north through Michigan's upper peninsula (I hear it's nice in the summer) before heading south. That part of the trip is still up in the air.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Look up Lower Calf Creek Falls at Grand Staircase. It's great. We loved our Zion, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, and Grand Staircase trip last summer. I'd go again tomorrow if I could.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Look up Lower Calf Creek Falls at Grand Staircase. It's great. We loved our Zion, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, and Grand Staircase trip last summer. I'd go again tomorrow if I could.
That hike is on the list already. :) Zion has some more challenging hikes (looking at the Narrows and Observation Point), so hopefully we can do at least one of those.

Grand Staircase is nice because we can bring the dog. He'll have to go to daycare for the other trips.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
That hike is on the list already. :) Zion has some more challenging hikes (looking at the Narrows and Observation Point), so hopefully we can do at least one of those.

Grand Staircase is nice because we can bring the dog. He'll have to go to daycare for the other trips.
My wife was all about the Narrows until she saw it. We were there just a few days after the flow dropped enough to start hiking it. Later in the summer, it would have been much more doable for her. When will you be there?

Are yall doing Angel's Landing?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
My wife was all about the Narrows until she saw it. We were there just a few days after the flow dropped enough to start hiking it. Later in the summer, it would have been much more doable for her. When will you be there?

Are yall doing Angel's Landing?
We'll be there in July, so I'm hoping the Narrows will be okay. And that there won't be much rain.

We plan to do either Angel's Landing or Observation Point to get a nice view of the valley. Both are steep as heck, but it'll be worth it at the top.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Ok I will ask again since Charmin got my resurrection of this thread question buried. Anyone have any hotel and restaurant recommendation in Rome, Florence and Naples?

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Oh, yay. ;)

We might take a similar route. Also considering swinging north through Michigan's upper peninsula (I hear it's nice in the summer) before heading south. That part of the trip is still up in the air.
If you have a choice don't miss Northern Wisconsin and Lake Superior. I never made the train trip along the Northern coast of Lake Superior. Just to many family responsibilities back in Alabama in those years. BTW the water temp will still be in the 50 F range so always have warm clothing. It has been known to snow on July 4 in Northern Wisconsin. :smile:

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
I spent the last 2 weeks of 2017 in Buenos Aires, and a couple days in Colonia, Uruguay. Never in my life have I spent Christmas Day at the pool on a 95 degree day. It's the heart of the Summer there during the holidays. Great country, great food, wine, culture, and, of course, tango(if you are a fellow tanguero). The ice cream there is 100 times better than anything found here.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.