anybody got any vacation ideas

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Why the decision to move? Do you have family in Ohio? Better job opportunity?
Better job opportunity (higher salary + lower cost of living), and my family is in New England. I'll certainly visit California to see friends and some of the best landscapes in the country, but Ohio is a better long-term financial choice.

Downside: OSU fans the Browns.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I spent the last 2 weeks of 2017 in Buenos Aires, and a couple days in Colonia, Uruguay. Never in my life have I spent Christmas Day at the pool on a 95 degree day. It's the heart of the Summer there during the holidays. Great country, great food, wine, culture, and, of course, tango(if you are a fellow tanguero). The ice cream there is 100 times better than anything found here.
I have spent a lot of time over a number of years in Southern Brazil near the border with Uruguay. Of course the Argentinians flock to the Brazilian beaches and likewise Brazilians love Buenos Aires, the Paris of the southern hemisphere. I really miss South America and may have chosen to live there under different circumstances. It is very unique to see Santa Claus and artificial snow in the malls when it is 100F plus on the beaches.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
I have spent a lot of time over a number of years in Southern Brazil near the border with Uruguay. Of course the Argentinians flock to the Brazilian beaches and likewise Brazilians love Buenos Aires, the Paris of the southern hemisphere. I really miss South America and may have chosen to live there under different circumstances. It is very unique to see Santa Claus and artificial snow in the malls when it is 100F plus on the beaches.
I love the country. Significant other is a Porteña so she was my travel guide. Argentina is a mess, politically. There are protests and strikes constantly. There was an airline baghandler strike that we just missed during our stay. The day we arrived, Plaza de Mayo was a sea of protesters and cops with batons. Tear gas, rocks thrown. A country still recovering from the horrors of the Dirty War....people still think the current government is leaning toward dictatorship.

But things settled down. A lovely city. Beautiful French-inspired architecture. A very European city. So many Italians down there that the common joke is "we are Italians who speak Spanish".

I would love to see more of the country. We stayed mostly in Buenos Aires.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I love the country. Significant other is a Porteña so she was my travel guide. Argentina is a mess, politically. There are protests and strikes constantly. There was an airline baghandler strike that we just missed during our stay. The day we arrived, Plaza de Mayo was a sea of protesters and cops with batons. Tear gas, rocks thrown. A country still recovering from the horrors of the Dirty War....people still think the current government is leaning toward dictatorship.

But things settled down. A lovely city. Beautiful French-inspired architecture. A very European city. So many Italians down there that the common joke is "we are Italians who speak Spanish".

I would love to see more of the country. We stayed mostly in Buenos Aires.
The thing I miss most about Brazil is the openness and friendliness of the people. The warmth of family life is much different than what is typical in the US. Airports have a much more relaxed atmosphere due to the lack of a terrorist threat. There is significant poverty and the attendant crime no doubt but the middle class live a comfortable lifestyle.

I made several trips with my then Brazilian wife to her childhood home on the Pampas near the Argentinian /Uruguayan border and loved just about everything about it. It was like travelling back to a much more simple life.

We operated a small import business that had us travelling over much of southern Brazil.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
My wife was all about the Narrows until she saw it. We were there just a few days after the flow dropped enough to start hiking it. Later in the summer, it would have been much more doable for her. When will you be there?

Are yall doing Angel's Landiing?
+1 on the Angels Landing recommendation.

Rally liked Capitol Reef, too. Southern Utah is awesome.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.