anybody got any vacation ideas

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
We end up going to Destin just about every year. It has everything we enjoy - beautiful beaches, good restaurants, shops, etc. We're going in a few weeks and I can't wait. My little boy is 3 now so hopefully he enjoys the beach a little more [emoji51]
If you haven't been before- The Pancakery. The bacon pancakes are pretty awesome.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I lied about the thugs, but I have seen everything else plus a bear and pygmy rattle snakes

but it really is a great area. Mexico Beach is particularly nice, though the entire area is very under developed for the Gulf Coast so there isn't a lot to do. Couple good restaurants, little to no shopping and some pretty laid back beaches with nearly no nightlife, if you are into that.

When I go to the beach, I just like to sit out under an umbrella all day with the occasional swim in the ocean. We go out to eat once or twice and that's it, so this sounds like a good spot to go. It's a time for me to get away from people and just relax. Ha.

Is there at least a walmart or publix for groceries? That's about all I'd need.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
When I go to the beach, I just like to sit out under an umbrella all day with the occasional swim in the ocean. We go out to eat once or twice and that's it, so this sounds like a good spot to go. It's a time for me to get away from people and just relax. Ha.

Is there at least a walmart or publix for groceries? That's about all I'd need.
Durrens Piggly Wiggly is actually pretty solid though Mr Durren won't sell alcohol

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Durrens Piggly Wiggly is actually pretty solid though Mr Durren won't sell alcohol
We've gone there and we've also taken a big cooler and stocked up when we've made the turn at the PCB bypass. Really the only downside to staying down there IMO is it is a 20 min drive to the Pig if you forgot something.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Cape San Blas is for you then. I mean if going down during the middle of peak season like say the 4th of July and not have someone within 100ft of your chair on the beach is your thing.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Cape San Blas is for you then. I mean if going down during the middle of peak season like say the 4th of July and not have someone within 100ft of your chair on the beach is your thing.
This made me laugh.

Serious question, though. Why is it not crowded even during peak season? People don't know about it or it's off the beaten path?

And where do ya'll recommend staying? We like to stay right on the beach.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
This made me laugh.

Serious question, though. Why is it not crowded even during peak season? People don't know about it or it's off the beaten path?

No high rise condos. More off the beaten path, with less houses. So there just aren't that many people. We've been down on the 4th of July and rented a boat to go out to the beach in the state park on the tip of the cape and the closet group of people were 200 yards away.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
This made me laugh.

never got built up. Most people just aren't aware that there is much east of Panama City as they tend to turn around and go back when they hit Tyndall Airforce base. There used to be Paper Mills and a Chemical plant in Port St Joe which made the entire area smell like rotten eggs until the early 90's. NAFTA killed the mills and plants wrecking the economy and cleaning the towns up. Most of the development just passed the area by until very recently. It is also very remote. If you are out on the cape and need something it it is a 20-30 minute drive to the Pig or supplies. If you need something that the pig doesn't carry you have to go into Panama City or Appalachacola which can be 45 mins to an hour. I had a cable modem die when I was there and working and had to into PCB to buy a new one only to find out that my router went with it and had to turn around and drive back. Not fun. Mexico Beach only has a couple of 4 story buildings, Port St Joe has none, neither does the Cape. It's is known to some as the "Forgotten coast" as for where to stay I couldn't say (didn't mean that to rhyme) we have a place in the general area that I bought cheap after the BP Spill but don't rent it out as it isn't all that nice and I hate sharing with strangers. There are only a few hotels. I hear the El Governor in Mexico Beach is pretty decent, I've stayed at the Driftwood once for 1 night but it was 7-8 years ago and it was clean and decent. VRBO is probably a better bet

Mexico beach is getting more and more crowded but still seems to want to keep the buildings small. Believe that 4 stories is the max. The Cape has had quite a bit of construction over the last 5-6 years but is still pretty remote. PSJ doesn't have much going on but there are a couple good places to eat

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
We went to mexico beach a few years ago. The house we stayed in (thru vrbo) was not too spiffy and the city was pumping "something" into the gulf thru a 4" pipe. It ran for 2 solid days. Water was awful and we were 1/4-1/2 mile away. Other than that, we loved the small crowds and places to eat. Oh, and the f-22's and 15's flying over every day.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
We went to mexico beach a few years ago. The house we stayed in (thru vrbo) was not too spiffy and the city was pumping "something" into the gulf thru a 4" pipe. It ran for 2 solid days. Water was awful and we were 1/4-1/2 mile away. Other than that, we loved the small crowds and places to eat. Oh, and the f-22's and 15's flying over every day.
where you there when the sewage pipe erupted? 2013 iirc? That was a mess

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
where you there when the sewage pipe erupted? 2013 iirc? That was a mess
That very well could have been what was happening. Time frame is about right. I didn't go find where they were pumping the stuff from...we just stayed outta the water.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I previously mentioned Fernandina beach. I've always sort of looked down on east coast beaches. We went last summer with friends who grew up in SE Georgia, so that was their go-to beach. I bring it up again because of the Cape San Blas discussion. Our experience was that it was less crowded and less expensive than the Cape. There were lots more houses, but it still was less crowded. The thing about the Cape is that you are all out there by your lonesome. At Fernandina, I was able to ride a bike into town if I wanted. The feeling of being somewhat remote, yet close to everything was nice. Another thing that was cool is that the beaches have been reinforced by dredge spoils. You have much larger tidal changes there than in the Gulf too. We spent the early morning and later afternoon walking the beach while intently looking at the sand. We found maybe 30 fossilized shark teeth on the trip. We liked it well enough that we're going back to the same house, with the same other family. I'll try to upload some photos in a bit.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I previously mentioned Fernandina beach. I've always sort of looked down on east coast beaches. We went last summer with friends who grew up in SE Georgia, so that was their go-to beach. I bring it up again because of the Cape San Blas discussion. Our experience was that it was less crowded and less expensive than the Cape. There were lots more houses, but it still was less crowded. The thing about the Cape is that you are all out there by your lonesome. At Fernandina, I was able to ride a bike into town if I wanted. The feeling of being somewhat remote, yet close to everything was nice. Another thing that was cool is that the beaches have been reinforced by dredge spoils. You have much larger tidal changes there than in the Gulf too. We spent the early morning and later afternoon walking the beach while intently looking at the sand. We found maybe 30 fossilized shark teeth on the trip. We liked it well enough that we're going back to the same house, with the same other family. I'll try to upload some photos in a bit.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Well I got into nursing school, so I'll be starting a new chapter in August. Now my search for rentals in Cape Blas isn't returning much options that doesn't require weekly rentals. I'm not seeing much right on the water either. I've looked on VRBO and other places to no avail. Does anyone familiar with this area have more suggestions I could look into?

Latest threads