Bob Simon Releived of Duties

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Hope a friend with good connections is wrong that it had to do with compliance issues and could impact players..... Don't need any reason to invite the NCAA to raise its radar.

yesitsmed23

1st Team
Aug 28, 2008
Huntsville, AL
Hope a friend with good connections is wrong that it had to do with compliance issues and could impact players..... Don't need any reason to invite the NCAA to raise its radar.
I think it has more to do with us bringing in Pelphrey and giving him the associate head job and demoting Simon. I think we are looking to make a better hire at this position or promote Pettway and bring in someone young and up and coming. Just my opinion though.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think it has more to do with us bringing in Pelphrey and giving him the associate head job and demoting Simon. I think we are looking to make a better hire at this position or promote Pettway and bring in someone young and up and coming. Just my opinion though.
We do not want to lose Pettway at all. Dude is critical to Bama basketball success for the immediate and long term. We have two options here:
1. Promote Pettway but to what? We already have a associate coach spot, so we can make him co-associate or whatever.
2. Hire a seasoned vet from NBA circle that has proven track record with young players and developing them. ( this is the most logical approach)

Either way, you have look at all the issues the team had on the court... We want a coach that can coach them to be aggressive on offense and be a leader, make free throw and learn to finish the games.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Hope you are right. Reading other boards a common thread is timing is off AND Simon was known as being very friendly with AAU coaches and the handlers.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
The term "relieved of his duties" has highly negative -- and punitive -- connotations.
What's also odd is al.com has not picked up on it. Another board stated Casagrande and Hurt were aware of it but, asked to stay away from the story b/c of negative press and they agreed. Seems like we are doing all we can to keep it in house.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
It's a smart move especially when you have so much negaitivity associated with the team in the off team, losing Davis and then he wants to come back.. key's situation and then now Simons situation?

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
What's also odd is al.com has not picked up on it. Another board stated Casagrande and Hurt were aware of it but, asked to stay away from the story b/c of negative press and they agreed. Seems like we are doing all we can to keep it in house.
Given that both publications regularly air news stories that are less than flattering to the athletic program, I'd be highly surprised if they would withhold legitimate news out of fear of negative publicity. Unless there are some mitigating circumstances. Calling Earle.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Given that both publications regularly air news stories that are less than flattering to the athletic program, I'd be highly surprised if they would withhold legitimate news out of fear of negative publicity. Unless there are some mitigating circumstances. Calling Earle.
Wouldn't be the first time. Think back to Kiffin. None directly reported what was known to be happening.

BTW, Dunaway tweeted about an hour ago Simon's contract was not renewed.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Good point about Kiffin. In that case, a very few folks would have known first hand what was going on ... making it far more difficult to leak the info or get confirmation that the rumors actually were true. Who knows, the same may be happening with Simon.

Wouldn't be the first time. Think back to Kiffin. None directly reported what was known to be happening.

BTW, Dunaway tweeted about an hour ago Simon's contract was not renewed.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Good point about Kiffin. In that case, a very few folks would have known first hand what was going on ... making it far more difficult to leak the info or get confirmation that the rumors actually were true. Who knows, the same may be happening with Simon.
Media didn't have to report some of Lane's antics. He didn't hide it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.