News Article: Chechnya forcing parents to kill their gay children

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I haven't seen a thread yet on this... situation.

Chechen Authorities 'Summon Parents to Prison Camps to Kill Their Gay Sons’

Authorities in Chechnya have been summoning parents to detention centres before telling them to kill their gay children, according to harrowing new survivor testimonies. Horrifying accounts of brutality and killings have been emerging from the largely self-governing Russian republic over the last month, after Novaya Gazeta reported that over 100 gay and bisexual men aged 16-50 had been detained by authorities over the last few months.

“They tell the parents to kill their child,” he says. “They say: Either you do it or we will’. They call it 'cleaning your honour with blood'.”

He continues: “They tortured a man for two weeks. They summoned his parents and his brothers who all came. They said to them ‘your son is a homosexual, sort it out or we’ll do it ourselves’.

“They replied: ‘It’s our family; we’ll do it’.

“The family took him and killed him in the forest. They buried him there. They didn’t even give him a funeral.”

Chechnya’s Kremlin-backed leader Ramzan Kadyrov, who was installed by Vladimir Putin in 2007, has repeatedly denied reports emerging from Chechnya, while a spokesperson for Putin said last month that survivors were choosing to remain anonymous because there was no evidence of any wrongdoing.

Russia has faced increasingly loud calls from the international community to bring an end to the violence, and while a Russia Foreign Affairs minister confirmed to Yahoo News’s Katie Couric last week that an investigation into the situation was currently taking place, she was reluctant to comment on the matter further.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Unsurprising. It was always a breath away from happening. The Chechens perpetually need something to oppose to the point of using violence.
Even more frustrating is that I don't immediately see a solution. This will likely go on.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yup. He and Putin both deny that anything is happening.

At least Merkel is calling Russia out on this. Trump has, of course, been silent on the issue, but Germany is a wee bit sensitive to the kind of targeted detention, torture, and murder we're hearing about in Chechnya.
ivanka should point it out to him. he can then go bomb the area around an empty air base and show them what for.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Because then it would be okay?
Oh Geez. How in the Hell are you reading into that? It was a simple question. If it's been something long-term -- then why is it just coming to light now, and not addressed before? Is it something new? Either way - we need to address it (not just with words) and do what we can to stop it.

But, I was wondering if it's a new practice in Chechnya

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Oh Geez. How in the Hell are you reading into that? It was a simple question. If it's been something long-term -- then why is it just coming to light now, and not addressed before? Is it something new? Either way - we need to address it (not just with words) and do what we can to stop it.

But, I was wondering if it's a new practice in Checynya
Thanks for clarifying -- I just didn't understand what you were getting at with your question.

Russians have never been friendly to their LGBT populations. But I don't know of this kind of targeted atrocity happening in Chechnya before now.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/c...uspected-gays-3-killed-russian-report-n741896

The report was denied by Chechen President Ramzan Kadyrov's spokesman, who suggested there are no homosexuals in the Muslim-majority region. Ali Karimov said, according to the state news agency RIA Novosti, "it's impossible to persecute those who are not in the republic."
The Kremlin-backed Kadyrov is widely accused of extensive human rights violations. He has brought Islam to the fore of Chechnya's daily life, including opening what is called Europe's biggest mosque.
Religion of Peace.....

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Thanks for clarifying -- I just didn't understand what you were getting at with your question.

Russians have never been friendly to their LGBT populations. But I don't know of this kind of targeted atrocity happening in Chechnya before now.
So they don't let the Olympic torch pass through Cobb County because the county commission passed some stupid resolution, but they let Russia have the 2014 Olympics and the 2018 World Cup.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
So they don't let the Olympic torch pass through Cobb County because the county commission passed some stupid resolution, but they let Russia have the 2014 Olympics and the 2018 World Cup.
Hell, they let China have it and they are still using prison labor as a note was passed along in a purse that was sold at Wal-mart (shocker).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.