Link: Your Flaming Hot Take for Friday, May 5 Focuses on Jim Harbaugh

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Here's the thing about Harbaugh, he is what Michigan needed. They'd let a proud program fall into disrepair, and the biggest thing their football program has been involved with in a long time was losing to an FCS team. So, a brash, loud mouth, Kiffin type like Harbaugh has helped remind them that they're better than that. Furthermore, he's actually not a bad coach. He's competent enough to back his talk up some.

But, let's not fool ourselves. He's nowhere near owning his own conference, let alone college football. He's well behind Urban Meyer, and in terms of a list of top coaches? There's Nick, Urban, then you have Jimbo, Dabo, heck even Les Miles could lay claim to being a better college coach. He's a couple of championships away from being compared to Urban Meyer, and a long, long way from Saban.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Here's the thing about Harbaugh, he is what Michigan needed. They'd let a proud program fall into disrepair, and the biggest thing their football program has been involved with in a long time was losing to an FCS team. So, a brash, loud mouth, Kiffin type like Harbaugh has helped remind them that they're better than that. Furthermore, he's actually not a bad coach. He's competent enough to back his talk up some.

But, let's not fool ourselves. He's nowhere near owning his own conference, let alone college football. He's well behind Urban Meyer, and in terms of a list of top coaches? There's Nick, Urban, then you have Jimbo, Dabo, heck even Les Miles could lay claim to being a better college coach. He's a couple of championships away from being compared to Urban Meyer, and a long, long way from Saban.
I like this. Like him or not he has infused some life in the program since he was hired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Have to agree with Con. Though he is a long way off from Saban on down, he has breathed life into a once proud program and he should give Meyer a run for his money on recruits and in games in the Big Whatever.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I don't think anyone doubts Harbaugh is a good coach. But, for even some homer chick to claim he "owns" anything is ludicrous.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Harbaugh can think he owns college football all he wants, especially when he comes to The Bryant Museum in Tuscaloosa, to admire what current & older NC Trophies actually looks like in person, that Bama has won over year as we became the absolute best football program in the history of the game..

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The piece (which I've never clicked on) is clearly click bait. As has been said innumerable times on this site...Don't feed the trolls.

While Jim Harbaugh doesn't own college football by a long shot, clickbait from a shill doesn't mean he's not a good coach, or that the University of Michigan doesn't have a Top 5 history of its own. He is, and they do.

Let's keep this in proportion....a writer pimped out her supposed profession, and wrote a piece calculated to get maximum compensation for herself. It succeeded, in no small measure because it was so ludicrous.

If Jim Harbaugh does have a string of success after Saban and Meyer have retired, she'll trumpet herself as "prescient...the first to recognize the greatness that is Jim Harbaugh."

If it doesn't work out that way (and Harbaugh's track record would indicate a short half-life on his welcome, even at his alma mater), nobody will remember, mainly because she will make it a point not to remind them.

Small percentage chance of a big upside if she's right. Large percentage chance of no downside if she's wrong. Welcome to example #1,283,467 of what passes for journalism today.

Really gets back to, "Don't feed the trolls."

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I can't help myself. When it comes to championships these coaches are better than Harbaugh:

Chizik, Malzahn, McElwain, Miles, Beliema. And those are just in the SEC. note: I didn't have time to look the spelling up so I just winged it, but I bet you can figure out who they are.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
It will be interesting to watch and see if he can back up a persona that at times borders on the bizarre. It`s true of most things in life that you`d better be able to do so, and rather quickly, or you`ll find yourself off the table rather suddenly. It`s amazing how quickly people can stop being "amused".

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.