What is Your Best "I'll Never Forget It" Moment in Alabama Football?

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I have three that I was at, and one that I wasn't:

1. Goal line stand against Penn State in Sugar Bowl - I was in that end zone. It was right in front of me.
2. Teague's got the ball Sugar Bowl against Miami
3. 1998 Comeback against LSU in Tiger Stadium. Final score was 22-16 BAMA, but LSU was up 16-7 late in the game. It would have been their first win in umpteen years if they had won. We were outplayed most of the game, then Zow thru a TD to Quincy Jackson with about 30 seconds left. I think there was me and one other Tide fan in that end zone and we were the only ones celebrating. My LSU friend was so mad, he almost wouldn't bring me home.
4. Rocky Block - wasn't there but my son called from the stadium, couldn't hear him on the phone.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I have a couple in person moments:

-Our first game we attended will be something I will never forget. We went to the Alabama/Mississippi State game in 2008. I couldn't believe how big the stadium was and I fell in love with the atmosphere of the stadium. From that point on...we knew we would make sure to attend at least one game a year.

-2016 SECCG is another one I won't forget. We took our oldest son to his second game ever. This was our second year in a row to attend the SECCG. So, seeing the "event" through his eyes was awesome. He is a huge fan of Alabama and football in general. So, he had a great time. It was also a really fun game to attend. A lot of points were scored, so we will all jumping up and down pretty much the whole game. We stayed till the end and joined in on the celebration.

------------------------------------------------------

-My favorite moment I won't forget other than all our Championship games...is believe or not when Mark Ingram won the Heisman. I felt like a proud parent and I was crying right a long with him. It was great to see a player truly appreciate getting such a recognition. He was such a perfect person to win the first one for Alabama.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Games I attended:
1. 2007 Arkansas game.
2. 2014 Auburn
3. 2016 LSU
3a. 2016 Ole Miss

Games I didn't attend:
1. 1999 Florida in the Swamp
2. 1992 Miami
3. 2009 Florida

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Rocky Block is my #1 like I said before but my favorite game outside of BDS has to be 2014 LSU. I was with a bunch of friends of mine who are all from Louisiana or went to LSU and are HUGE fans. They were great before the game but when it looked like we were done for they were ragging on me pretty hard (as well as every other LSU fan near by). Boy was it fun when the game turned and we won in OT.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I am sure that "Rocky Block" was loud. The amazing thing about the Van Tiffin kick was that the stadium was half and half. I was on the Bama side and when the ball went through the AU side was completely silent. It was like you had turned off the sound from across the field.

A confession: I was at UGA when Shula led the comeback. I was so frustrated with Perkins' play calling that my wife and I left our seats in the upper deck when UGA blocked the punt. We were almost to the exit when I heard the roar...turned around -- and realized that Albert Bell had scored. I was able to watch the reply at my BIL's house. I learned then never to give up.

Thanks for the good replies...that's the great thing about being a Bama fan -- the good far outweighs the bad...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Three games we were fortunate enough to attend:

2014 - #1 Mississippi State vs. #5 Alabama. Under the lights in BDS. The place was full and loud and electric for the whole game. Most enjoyable game I have ever attended.
I promise you I'm not trying to sound like an obtuse jerk. but this was a 230 kickoff on CBS. The sun was bright in the sky and the kickoff temp was 52 degrees (similar to the 2012 IB).

I'm assuming you're talking about maybe the thrilling last eight minutes or so, and I'm envious that you got to be there. I guess it's just that when I think "under the lights" I'm thinking 7 pm kickoff of Alabama-LSU.

Great memories, though. Great game.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I have to agree with some others that The Goal Line Stand in the 1979 Sugar Bowl is the one I most certainly will never forget.

The other one I will never forget also came against Penn State. I never forget the Penn State games because I have to deal with Penn State fans all the time where I live. In 1989 Thomas Rayam blocked a chip shot field goal with seconds remaining to preserve the 17-16 win for Bama. Here it is for those that want to see it again:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Enjoying this, a couple of things:

The Penn State 1979 Sugar was my FIRST-EVER Tide game. Loved the goal line stand but had no idea of its significance at the time.

Did not see Coach Bryant's final game or 1983 Penn St (ugh!) because I lived in Germany; I DID see the 1983 Iron Bowl, with the wind and rain storm

Did not see the Sack because I was bad luck and every game in the 80s I watched it seemed we lost, so I heard it on the radio.

Did not see Shula to Bell for the same reason but DID see Tiffin's kick

Did not see Rayam's block because I was at a band competition as an AT that day

Did not see the first Rocky Block and Doyle's FG in 1990 because we did not have ESPN at the time

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Not the scintillating type of game most are describing, but for me it was the 1961 Bama - Tulane game in Mobile. Simple reason is that it was my first game to attend in person. Worst was '72 IB, in person sitting in the au section. Massively nauseating...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
For the record, I've attended fifteen Alabama games in person. The Tide is 14-1 in those 15 games, with the only loss coming during (wait for it) the Dubious Years (specifically 1998 vs Miss St). Even the one Shula game I attended - the 2006 Cotton Bowl - we looked lackluster but won.

And while Coach Stallings DID win a national title, I don't miss his constant "winning ugly" teams that do ridiculous things like only lead La Tech 6-0 in the fourth, only lead Tulane 6-0 at the half, and need final second miracles to beat Vandy and USM. In fact - come to think of it - I've never seen an Alabama game with a close final score at the end during the Saban years.

In fact, in five of the Saban games, the opponent hasn't scored a touchdown (two of which were shutouts btw) and in another game the only TD was scored late against the second-string defense.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
For the record, I've attended fifteen Alabama games in person. The Tide is 14-1 in those 15 games, with the only loss coming during (wait for it) the Dubious Years (specifically 1998 vs Miss St). Even the one Shula game I attended - the 2006 Cotton Bowl - we looked lackluster but won.

And while Coach Stallings DID win a national title, I don't miss his constant "winning ugly" teams that do ridiculous things like only lead La Tech 6-0 in the fourth, only lead Tulane 6-0 at the half, and need final second miracles to beat Vandy and USM. In fact - come to think of it - I've never seen an Alabama game with a close final score at the end during the Saban years.

In fact, in five of the Saban games, the opponent hasn't scored a touchdown (two of which were shutouts btw) and in another game the only TD was scored late against the second-string defense.
Those Mississippi State games back in those days were brutal. They were at the height of the Jackie Sherrill reign in the 90s. We went to the 1997 game at Bryant-Denny, Dubose's first season. It was a very cold and rainy day and it seems like there was even sleet or freezing rain. JJ Johnson was running all over our defense and Lance Tucker started the game at QB and wasn't having much success. The weather got to be unbearable so we had to leave early (I think the only time we ever left a game early).

I have a ton of fond memories of the Stallings era, because that's when I cut my teeth as an Alabama fan. But I do enjoy the fact that our lackluster wins these days against overmatched opponents are usually by scores of 38-10 instead of 13-10.

Sagamore Bill

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Oklahoma
I am older than many of you.
1. 1979 Sugar Bowl I was sitting upstairs just outside the end zone above where the stop happened. The entire upper floor began to shake dramatically from everyone jumping up and down.

2. Coach Bryant's final game. Extremely cold. What I remember was that with the lead at the end, Alabama called their final time out. Afterward one of the players said it was because they didn't want the game to end.

3. I have been to bowl games. This year my wife has gotten tickets to the Tennessee game, my first game at BDS. Tickets are not great but I DON'T CARE. It goes on this list now...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I got you beat. Alabama is undefeated in games I've attended ;). I also blame myself for the 2010 season as I was abroad and out in the middle of no where so I didn't watch a single game that year.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The last Bama game I saw in person was 2006 Mississippi State. In retrospect, it was probably one of the best losses we ever had.

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
I promise you I'm not trying to sound like an obtuse jerk. but this was a 230 kickoff on CBS. The sun was bright in the sky and the kickoff temp was 52 degrees (similar to the 2012 IB).

I'm assuming you're talking about maybe the thrilling last eight minutes or so, and I'm envious that you got to be there. I guess it's just that when I think "under the lights" I'm thinking 7 pm kickoff of Alabama-LSU.

Great memories, though. Great game.
The sun set at 4:48pm that day. So, the lights were on late in the game. I'll try to use "under the lights" correctly in the future. ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.