What is Your Best "I'll Never Forget It" Moment in Alabama Football?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Pa Tide did a great job with his thread...so I decided to branch off. Which moment was so thrilling that you will remember it until you die. I have 2 --

1. Van Tiffin's Kick against Auburn in 1985...I was there and it was spectacular.
2. Mike Shula leading to the win against in 1985 between the hedges. Again -- I was there and will never forget it.

Drewy26

1st Team
Aug 16, 2008
Montgomery, AL
I have two and I was in attendance at both:

1. 1992 Sugar Bowl vs. Miami. Miami fans were everywhere and OBNOXIOUS for days before the game. After the 3d quarter there were NONE around anywhere.

2. 1993 Alabama v. Tennessee in Legion Field. Alabama scored a late TD to come within 2 points of TN. David Palmer lined up at QB and ran a sweep to the right side, making it into the end zone for the 2-point conversion, and the game ended in a tie. I don't know why but that has always been one of my favorite memories.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Very recent, but the onside kick against Clemson. It was perfect and exemplifies everything Nick Saban. Without that play, Clemson probably wins that game.

My second choice would be Rocky Block.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
There are a few I could choose from but the #1 for me has to be 2009 Tennessee game. My sister was visiting me and had never been to a live football game. I was a student at the time so I got her a ticket in the student section. I have never heard a crowd erupt like we did when Cody made that 2nd block. I remember immediately after the game my youth pastor texted me saying "I saw you praying on national television!" Sure enough if you watch the clip on youtube there I am. So, this is kind of a double fun story because the game was incredible and easily the most euphoric I have ever felt after a win and then got an added bonus of being on TV.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
2009 Tennessee game

Was in the student section. I remember feeling fine until Luke Stocker caught a seam pass to get them deep in our territory. About that time my girlfriend (now wife) looked at me and asked "are we about to lose?" I of course said no but had a horrible feeling about it.

When they lined up for the kick, I was screaming for a miracle with a huge knot in my stomach. The desperation yells quickly turned into celebration. People started hugging everyone around. Drinks went all over the place. And cigar smoke quickly started rising.

It was fantastic.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The ones that elicited the most memorable reactions from me:

1) Van Tiffin's kick
2) Teague's got the ball
3) Rocky Block
4) Look out, Kenyan Drake can fly!!!
5) the forced fumble that sealed the doom of Texas

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
2009 Tennessee game

Was in the student section. I remember feeling fine until Luke Stocker caught a seam pass to get them deep in our territory. About that time my girlfriend (now wife) looked at me and asked "are we about to lose?" I of course said no but had a horrible feeling about it.

When they lined up for the kick, I was screaming for a miracle with a huge knot in my stomach. The desperation yells quickly turned into celebration. People started hugging everyone around. Drinks went all over the place. And cigar smoke quickly started rising.

It was fantastic.
That HAD to be the loudest roar in the history of BDS. I was at work and because that game should have been a Tide blowout, I'm tuning in and out. But I saw the entire carnage unfolding. I'm telling myself not to over-react one way or the other because I'm at work. But when Cody blocked it I - literally - could not hold it in.

"YES!!!!"

I'm sure they heard me on the sixth floor; some of my workmates not so understanding....

:)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
You know what? I was trying to decide between several games that I had watched, that were big games, such as the Cody blocks vs Tennessee in 2009, because I have never attended a really big game.

BUT... it struck me. Of course, my best "I'll never forget it" moment was the very first game I ever attended. 1995, vs. North Texas at Bryant-Denny Stadium. My dad and I went with my uncle and aunt. We visited the Bryant Museum and walked around campus. We sat on the East side, which was before the upper deck had been added. What I will never forget was walking into the stadium and being completely stunned at how big it was. Being there with my dad is a memory I'll always cherish and frankly, even with all the big wins that I've witnessed, will always be my favorite. I don't remember a ton about the game. It seems like we won 38-19 or something like that. It was the typical Gene Stallings game. I think Brian Steger actually had a pretty decent game.

But the memory that I'll cherish is being there with my dad. It was the first game either of us ever went to.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
1) 2009 BCS NC Game at the Rose Bowl - Being California born/raised, and also raised in a USCw family, I learned the history of the Crimson Tide in the Rose Bowl once I started attending UA. Always wanted to see them play and win in the stadium, and got that opportunity in 2009. It wasn't the best game from an entertainment value that I've seen in person (that goes to USC-Texas in 2005), but I'll never forget it.

2) Rocky Block - Super tight game. I was in the student section with my girlfriend (now wife), and she refused to watch the final FG attempt, covering her eyes and turning around. Once Cody blocked it, I've never seen so many people randomly hug and high-five others in a football game.

3) 2016 Alabama vs. USC - Special to me b/c my family are all USC graduates, and I graduated from Alabama. My dad always talked about watching Alabama destroy USC in LA when Bear surprised everyone with the wishbone offense. Sadly for him, he witnessed another blowout with me. Sitting in the USC section ("These are your people?" as my wife commented) made it sweeter.

4) 2011 Iron Bowl - My BIL was a student at AU (only b/c of his agronomy/soils degree, not b/c of fandom) and got my wife and I tickets to the student section for the Iron Bowl. Super enjoyed that game with all of the other students not saying anything!

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
That HAD to be the loudest roar in the history of BDS. I was at work and because that game should have been a Tide blowout, I'm tuning in and out. But I saw the entire carnage unfolding. I'm telling myself not to over-react one way or the other because I'm at work. But when Cody blocked it I - literally - could not hold it in.

"YES!!!!"

I'm sure they heard me on the sixth floor; some of my workmates not so understanding....

:)
2009 Tennessee game

It was fantastic.
It was deafening. I have never heard a roar like that in any stadium. I'm sure there are comparable experiences for some but I haven't experienced anything like it before or sense. It was an incredible feeling.

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
Here's a few:

1. 1984 Iron Bowl- au had 2 chances to win that game and Bama turned them away.
2. 1985 Iron Bowl- Van Tiffin- I knew I was a Bama fan, but that's when it became die hard.
3. 1992 SEC Championship- I can still hear Keith Jackson "INTERCEPTED BY LANGHAM!!"
4. 1992 Sugar Bowl- "And the big uglies on the right side gave him a crack." God Bless Keith Jackson

More recent:
1. 2009 ut- I still go back every now and then and watch the fan reactions to the end of that. Hilarious.
2. 2009 Iron Bowl- "TOUCHDOWN UPCHURCH!"
3. 2009, 20011, 2012, 2015 National Championship games

Probably my favorite:

2012 LSU- "Make a man miss! YES!" I remember the wife and kids going to bed and watching the lsu kicker miss the field goal and thinking, "Ok. We have a chance here." McCarron off all night long and comes up clutch when we needed him to. When we scored I hit my head on the ceiling fan and couldn't ye;; because I'd wake up the kids. Ran to the backroom and yelled into a pillow. After the game I called my Dad, which is tradition, and he answers the phone and in his best low, confident and calm voice says, "Roll Tide". It just doesn't get any better.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
Three games we were fortunate enough to attend:

2014 - #1 Mississippi State vs. #5 Alabama. Under the lights in BDS. The place was full and loud and electric for the whole game. Most enjoyable game I have ever attended.

2009 BCSNCG. The night Alabama came all the way back to the top.

2009 SECCG. Revenge is sweet!

The ones we saw on TV:

Rocky Block

2011 BCSNCG

AJ to TJ

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Three games we were fortunate enough to attend:

2014 - #1 Mississippi State vs. #5 Alabama. Under the lights in BDS. The place was full and loud and electric for the whole game. Most enjoyable game I have ever attended.

2009 BCSNCG. The night Alabama came all the way back to the top.

2009 SECCG. Revenge is sweet!

The ones we saw on TV:

Rocky Block

2011 BCSNCG

AJ to TJ
I forgot about the 2009 SECCG for some reason (probably because I wasn't there) but god that was fun to make Tebow cry

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
December 29, 1982
Liberty Bowl in Memphis, Tennessee
Watched Coach Bryant coach his last game. It was so cold, Coach was wearing a ski mask the whole game. It was bittersweet. Bama won and I got to see his last game but Coach passed away a few weeks later.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Van Tiffin's kick against the barn in 1985.

I was there, sitting in the middle of the Auburn section -- long story, having to do with a pre-Mrs. Basket Case date. No other Alabama fans anywhere near.

There were several great plays in that drive -- Gene Jelks catching a 15-16 yard flare pass to set up Al Bell's reverse after facing 3rd and 20 or so. Watching Perkins getting the FG team assembled on the sideline, ready to go with no wasted time. And of course Greg Richardson dragging an Aub DB for what seemed like an impossible distance to save the six seconds for Tiffin's kick.

Still brings a smile.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
2009 Tennessee game

It was fantastic.
Still my favorite Bama video of all time - goes from loud to ridiculous:

parrothdfn

Scout Team
Dec 5, 2000
Franklin, TN
In the order they happened

1. "Teague's Got The Ball"
2. Prothro's catch against USM
3. Coach Saban accepting the position of Head Football Coach @ Alabama

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.