Way too Early 2018 Mock Drafts

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
Re: Way too Early Mock Drafts

Not sure about other DT's but I'd pretty dang shocked if Payne isn't a lock for 1st round, or top 15 pick.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Saw a scout compare him to Danny Shelton last week. Commented Shelton ran a 5.64 in the 40 while Payne ran a sub-5.0. He also said Payne's athleticism hasn't gotten the credit it deserves thus far. He said the best comparison though would be Dareus due to his skill set and athleticism.
Yea Danny Shelton is a good comparison. I also like the Dareus comparison and think Payne could put up those type of numbers this year. I don't think he will put up double digit sacks like Allen but I can see him getting 5-6 sacks and closing in on 10 TFL.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Harrison reminds me a lot of Cam Chancellor. You put him on the right defense and he could be a terror. He does need to display a lot of acuity and consistency this year. If he does though, I could see him going 15-25 pretty easily.
This is a really good comparison actually. I think Ronnie might have better ball skills than Chancellor though.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

Payne is 1st round all the way. DTs with the ability to stay on the field all downs are very rare these days. He's been a monster to all who have played with and against him and is constantly getting better and stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Matt Miller's Scouting Notebook: Early Takes on Top QBs, Lamar Jackson and More

5 Names to Know

2. Anthony Averett, Cornerback (Alabama)
Teammate Minkah Fitzpatrick has the higher preseason ranking, but Anthony Averett flashes every time you watch Alabama play. The redshirt senior has improved tremendously over the last two seasons and has the size (6'0", 185 lbs) and instincts to climb the rankings once the games start.
Has three Bama guys in the first round.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Mel Kiper's way-too-early Big Board: Top 25 2018 prospects

Click (subscription required)

I assume most people are smarter than me and don't still have an ESPN subscription, so I'll give you guys the rundown on the Bama players on the list.

2. Minkah Fitzpatrick -There is some projection here because Fitzpatrick (6-1, 195) has played both corner and safety and appears likely to stick at safety in 2017. But the versatility is a plus, and he could be really good at either spot. He has eight interceptions in two seasons, and four of those were returned for touchdowns. I also like that Fitzpatrick will get after it on special teams. He had 11 special-teams tackles in 2016.

9. Calvin Ridley -With 161 catches and 14 touchdowns in two seasons, the cat-quick Ridley (6-1, 188) has been one of the nation's top wide receivers since he stepped onto the field as a freshman. What I really like about him is his competitiveness. He's a nightmare to try to tackle in the open field.

13. Ronnie Harrison -Looking for a player who could break out in 2017? Harrison, who went overlooked at times on a loaded Crimson Tide defense, fits the part. He's aggressive and loves to hit. Harrison (6-3, 218) can cover, too. He had two interceptions last season, including a pick-six at Tennessee.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006

I like the tidbit on Averett. I'm curious about how high he goes in the end. He has the speed and height that you want in an NFL CB. He also seems to be the best CB we have had in a while at turning his head and playing the ball.
Name a better cover corner for Bama lately, I can't think of many

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

I'm not a scout and really don't understand DBs as well as other positions tbh. I am curious by the lack of hype for Averett among "Draft Experts." He has elite speed and good height and was a lock down CB much of the year when teams were picking on him because (the 16th overall pick) Humphrey was on the other side.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Alabama players dominate Mel Kiper's early 2018 NFL draft lists

The 2017 NFL draft is in the rearview mirror and the upcoming college football season is still months away, but that doesn't stop folks from looking ahead to next year's NFL Draft.

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. has already compiled his list of the top five seniors and top five underclassmen at each position for next year's draft, and Alabama football players are all over his lists.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.