Way too Early 2018 Mock Drafts

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I know some of you are probably over NFL talk but curious what everyone thinks of these way too early mocks and Bama players? It looks like the "consensus" first rounders for us right now are Minkah, Ridley & Hand with Payne, Harrison, Bo & Evans all going in the 1st in at least 1 of these. Personally, I think Minkah, Ridley, Payne, Harrison & Evans all have the really good shots at being 1st rounders. Surprised people are so high on Hand already.

McShay's way-too-early 2018 NFL mock draft

(subscription required)

2018 NFL Mock Draft: Matt Miller's Way-Too-Early Predictions

2018 NFL mock draft: First look at next year's class of top prospects

2018 NFL Mock Draft: The way-too-early two round projection

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: Way too Early Mock Drafts

There was a story on Hand from Bleacher Report during the playoffs. Scouts told the writer (Adam Kramer, IIRC) at the time Hand would be a fourth round pick solely based on size and potential based on the little tape available.

I'm not sure about Harrison going in the first round. He's too inconsistent in coverage at times.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

There was a story on Hand from Bleacher Report during the playoffs. Scouts told the writer (Adam Kramer, IIRC) at the time Hand would be a fourth round pick solely based on size and potential based on the little tape available.

I'm not sure about Harrison going in the first round. He's too inconsistent in coverage at times.
I've thought a lot about Harrison and I think he could end up as a LB/S hybrid in the NFL. He can hit, has good ball skills, and is big and has what seem to be really long arms. I can see him being a later 1st rounder who is considered a little more of a project.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

The following men that I expect to be in 1st round next April are:
1. Minkah Fitzpatrick
2. Deshawn Hand
3. Calvin Ridley

Players that have opportunity to be drafted in 1-2nd Round
Bo Scarbough ( Late 2nd round due to injury history)
Tony Brown (3rd round Behavior issues in past may come back and hurt him)
Anthony Averett (Has opportunity to be drafted 1-2nd round depending on his performance )
Shaun Hamilton ( If he has a good year... He might sneak into 1st round)
Robert Foster ( He really need a breakouts season to be drafted in first 3 rounds) He is likely 4th-5th round at the moment.
Rashaan Evans ( I can see him going in 1-2nd round. He has ability to play inside and outside)
Christian Miller ( Probably will be drafted in 3-4 round)
Da'Ron Payne (This is likely 1st round=2nd round pick, if he can be little more consistent)
Bradley Bozeman (I don't know. We saw Ryan Kelly going in 1st round and we'll see how he does this year)
Ross Pier ( probably third day pick.)
Ronnie Harrison ( I don't know... He's too inconsistent, but we'll see if he improved a lot this year)

I think we'll see lot of player surging upward in November. This is critical year for Tony Brown, Rashaan Evans, Scarbough ( He can't get hurt again) and Minkah ( he has to show that he can play both position with no issue in his second year)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

1. Minkah Fitzpatrick
2. Deshawn Hand
3. Calvin Ridley

Anthony Averett (Has opportunity to be drafted 1-2nd round depending on his performance )
Robert Foster ( He really need a breakouts season to be drafted in first 3 rounds) He is likely 4th-5th round at the moment.
Rashaan Evans ( I can see him going in 1-2nd round. He has ability to play inside and outside)
Da'Ron Payne (This is likely 1st round=2nd round pick, if he can be little more consistent)
Bradley Bozeman (I don't know. We saw Ryan Kelly going in 1st round and we'll see how he does this year)
Ronnie Harrison ( I don't know... He's too inconsistent, but we'll see if he improved a lot this year)

I think we'll see lot of player surging upward in November. This is critical year for Tony Brown, Rashaan Evans, Scarbough ( He can't get hurt again) and Minkah ( he has to show that he can play both position with no issue in his second year)
Payne is going to have to be pretty bad this year to not go in the first round.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

1. Minkah Fitzpatrick
2. Deshawn Hand
3. Calvin Ridley

Christian and Ross will both be juniors. I see them both coming back for their senior years. Christian will do the Tim Williams/Ryan Anderson plan. Ross is a guard and it won't hurt him to come back and I think he will need one more year.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Christian and Ross will both be juniors. I see them both coming back for their senior years. Christian will do the Tim Williams/Ryan Anderson plan. Ross is a guard and it won't hurt him to come back and I think he will need one more year.
I think the only way Miller is gone is if he puts up some ridiculous numbers both rushing the passer and against the run. We don't really know how good he is yet so it's hard to guess with him. I agree with you on Ross too. Just don't see either of those guys leaving

Yea. I think Bama fans underrate him because he isn't Allen with his pass rush and they remember that Reed, A'shawn, Tomlinson went in the 2nd rounds. But Payne is an absolute freak and is going to kill the bench press at the combine. He is freakishly strong and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he ends the season with around 5 sacks.

Bo is going to be interesting. Bo has the talent to be mentioned in the same breath as the Penn State kid IMO but his injuries make him basically undraftable in the first couple of rounds. I think Minkah is basically a 1st round lock

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Yea. I think Bama fans underrate him because he isn't Allen with his pass rush and they remember that Reed, A'shawn, Tomlinson went in the 2nd rounds. But Payne is an absolute freak and is going to kill the bench press at the combine. He is freakishly strong and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he ends the season with around 5 sacks.
He ran under 5 in the 40 at spring testing at 320 lbs. Add that one to the freak category also.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I've said 2nd round for most because Bama players in recent years have fallen to second round and NFL GM is partly to be blamed for that. AJ McCarron, Reggie Ragland, Reuben Foster ( Shoulder and diluted water ), A 'Shawn Robinson, Derrick Henry, Jarran Reed and others.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I've said 2nd round for most because Bama players in recent years have fallen to second round and NFL GM is partly to be blamed for that. AJ McCarron, Reggie Ragland, Reuben Foster ( Shoulder and diluted water ), A 'Shawn Robinson, Derrick Henry, Jarran Reed and others.
Reggie and Reuben each had medical issues that led to their falls.

Henry wasn't going in the first round.

A'Shawn and Jarran fell because last year's draft got weird.

AJ was never going in the first round. His fall, if there even was one, was due to his mouth.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Eddie Lacy was a 2nd rounder too.....as was TJ

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

AJ was never going in the first round. His fall, if there even was one, was due to his mouth.
Agree with this. Henry was under-hyped but IMO I still think he should have been a 1st rounder but I get why he wasn't (agility concerns). A'Shawn and Reed were always 2nd rounders IMHO. I actually think Tomlinson might be better than both of them. But Payne is better than all 3 of them.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana

I've thought a lot about Harrison and I think he could end up as a LB/S hybrid in the NFL. He can hit, has good ball skills, and is big and has what seem to be really long arms. I can see him being a later 1st rounder who is considered a little more of a project.
Harrison reminds me a lot of Cam Chancellor. You put him on the right defense and he could be a terror. He does need to display a lot of acuity and consistency this year. If he does though, I could see him going 15-25 pretty easily.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I think Payne has 1st round talent but who was the last defensive lineman to go first round who wasn't a great pass rusher? Maybe Payne improves a lot in that department this year but if he doesn't he may be looking at the 2nd round..

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

I think Payne has 1st round talent but who was the last defensive lineman to go first round who wasn't a great pass rusher? Maybe Payne improves a lot in that department this year but if he doesn't he may be looking at the 2nd round..
They are rarer but they still happen and I think Payne could be on that level. I also think it is likely he has a jump in production in passing situations this year assuming he gets more opportunities there. Just watch his highlights and you will start to see why some of us are so high on him. I can think of at least 2 times where he flat out knocked a player over with his initial push. He's a freak.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

It got weird and there was an abundance of very good DL with varying skill sets. In a typical year they would have been 1st rounders.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Harrison reminds me a lot of Cam Chancellor. You put him on the right defense and he could be a terror. He does need to display a lot of acuity and consistency this year. If he does though, I could see him going 15-25 pretty easily.
That's a pretty fair comparison and I agree if he has a productive year he will be a back 1/2 1st round pick. Great and smart athlete.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Saw a scout compare him to Danny Shelton last week. Commented Shelton ran a 5.64 in the 40 while Payne ran a sub-5.0. He also said Payne's athleticism hasn't gotten the credit it deserves thus far. He said the best comparison though would be Dareus due to his skill set and athleticism.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Everyone was so "amazed" at 7 of the top 10 picks going to offensive players in such a 'defensive' draft.

That's WHY 7 of the top 10 were offense. Because the defensive talent was so deep....that people felt that they could get quality later. But, if you wanted an elite offensive player this year -- your choices were few.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.