Passenger sues American Airlines for sitting between fatties for 14 hours

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think uafan4life basically hit at my point: the airlines have been consistently proven to not really have a customer-centered model. Their cabin designs are poorly thought out and prioritizing the number of seats over comfort for even an average person. But the media is so well controlled by corporate shills that we willingly turn on our fellow man and shame a paying customer for "causing the problem" due to their shape and size instead of considering the blame of the corporation.

This is one of the many illnesses of America. Most people seem to hold corporations blameless for everything these days. There is no accountability. There is no loving your fellow man. We only demand accountability from the destitute and only love our fellow brands. For a Christian nation, we sure do seem so unlike Christ. Again because we worship money and greed in this country and have since the first settlers. We just wrap the Christian language around our true gods.
One of these things is not like the other

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
rgw's basic point about size is correct. We get a tad bit larger every generation but the airlines have not, in fact, kept up with this.

On his other point, I think there needs to be a little give and take. Folks ought to be willing if possible to adjust around so you're not caught between Gilbert Brown and Terrance Cody.

And speaking of being an Adonis...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
rgw's basic point about size is correct. We get a tad bit larger every generation but the airlines have not, in fact, kept up with this.
Yah, but few spill over on to others. As I said above, more space would be nice, but there are limits to how large of a person an airline can accommodate.

On his other point, I think there needs to be a little give and take. Folks ought to be willing if possible to adjust around so you're not caught between Gilbert Brown and Terrance Cody.
Yup. But he lost me with this concept that we're all corporate shills here - it's like he hasn't read any of the anti-airline posts from the last few weeks (to be specific - there are tons of posts here expressing general frustration with corporate greed). I don't recall anyone standing up for United, for example...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Collectively? Yes, that's probably correct.

Acting like its is universally true on an individual level is incorrect, and therefore I don't understand why you brought it up in this thread. Are you suggesting it's un-Christ-like to understand that there are limits to how large of a person an airline can accommodate? Or it's un-Christ-like to wish you didn't have someone you don't know laying on you the entire flight?

Sorry dude, while I get the general statement, I don't understand it in context of the thread, and it struck me as quite odd.
I think it is the issue that we consistently seem willing to buy corporate propaganda in this country and claw at each other's faces instead. I guess I'm becoming a Rain Man of the American Zeitgeist...starting to form a theme to what the general psychological state of our country seems to be. There is some variation obviously but I am starting to see a greater American identity I guess lately. The Christian nation point only to highlight that conservatives like to spout that language then turnaround and act like a horse's behind to their fellow man. I think it ties in but I guess I'm not doing a fantastic job of tying it altogether.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
From the many, many flights I have taken, I think, generally, the seats are large enough to accommodate an above-average size man. I'm 6' 1", about 200 lbs, just a bit above average, maybe. I don't have tons of room in coach, but I'm not really wedged in, either. Now, if you are morbidly obese, then you have a problem. It is not the airlines problem. Unless, that is, they ignore the problem, then I have to be lain all over by the obese guy in the seat next to me (and also, about 1/3 into my seat).

This happened to me on a 3 hour flight where I was in a two-seat row next to a man who had to be at least 400 pounds. The divider/armrest between the seats literally could not be lowered. The only way I could sit was with my legs at about a 40 angle toward the center aisle, and my torso at about a 30 degree angle away from this guy. I could not sit this way for long, of course, and ended up standing throughout the flight, only sitting for take-off and just before touch-down. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper and I complained to the flight attendant. She could only say, "Yeah, we should have caught that." Ya think?

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
They have templates to check carry-on bag size. They should do the same for fatties. If you dont fit through you either pay extra for extra room or you dont board.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Thankfully, I don't fly very often. I've always flown economy or, when lucky, premium economy. I have a flight to BHM coming up this summer to visit home.

I'm about 6', 260. I have a small gut - more a food baby than anything wide and imposing. I have looooong arms and legs, broooaaad shoulders. Airline seats are most uncomfortable but I can mostly make do until the jerk next to me decides he/she need all the room. I scrunch myself up to try to fit.

Airlines are in business to make money, so I get it. And until their customers demand they make them a more comfortable place to sit the airlines will continue shrinking seats even as passengers get bigger. Current market forces are toward price and not comfort, by and large (no pun intended).

I'm trying to find a good deal on premium economy vs business/first class for 4 passengers for this trip. I, for one, am willing to pay a reasonable amount more for comfort. I'm sure there are others like me who wish there were more larger seats at a middle price instead of cheap and cramped or expensive and comfortable. Even premium economy with moderately more space is premium priced. Oh well....still looking for a deal.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I haven't been on an airplane since I was a teenager. Judging by these stories I am glad that we always opt to drive. I would definitely be upset to have to sit like this guy did for that long. Or having to deal with unruly kids..where the parents don't care.

This is an interesting topic and I do feel for those that are obese. I am sure it is embarrassing for them, but you would think they would not want the person next to them being that uncomfortable. I wouldn't want to be the attendant that has to tell someone that they are too big for the seat. It can be a sensitive subject, but the airlines can make their own rules.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I haven't been in an airport in over 15 years....do they have a sample seat outside in the terminal? If not, that would be a good idea for obese passengers to test out the seat and seat belt. They could know about it and handle it before boarding the plane.

I know some may say that would be embarrassing...but most amusement parks have the same thing outside their rides.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.