Passenger sues American Airlines for sitting between fatties for 14 hours

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Hmm. Odd suit.

We've all had our uncomfortable airliner stories. Never had one quite that long though. Could be an interesting topic. Share and share alike.

I flew up to Milwaukee a few months ago. Had an aisle seat, but the dude in the center of our row was big, stank and had no concept of personal space. To make matters worse, he then pulled out some food he bought on the concourse after we got to cruise. Just so happened to be loaded with garlic. Uncomfortable, smelly ride, but nothing I would get up in arms about.

Other time was when flying back from Minneapolis. Connected in Atlanta. This was before the 9-6 game in Tuscaloosa. Tons of L6U fans. Plane reeked of corndogs.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Ugh! This is why fat people should have to get two seats, or at least if they are "together" get the middle seat so they can "spread" out.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pa...between-obese-seatmates/ar-BBAT1Dq?li=BBnb7Kz
Or, and I speak with a lot of experience as having been a former fatty, the airline could have simply had folks switch seats. NOT that difficult.

I concur with you up to a point, but are we going to weigh every person who gets on the plane? I DO think there needs to be a level of common sense here all the way around. The moment the flight attendant saw you had Chris Christie and Reuben Studdard in seats A and C, they should have found a volunteer.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Or, and I speak with a lot of experience as having been a former fatty, the airline could have simply had folks switch seats. NOT that difficult.

I concur with you up to a point, but are we going to weigh every person who gets on the plane? I DO think there needs to be a level of common sense here all the way around. The moment the flight attendant saw you had Chris Christie and Reuben Studdard in seats A and C, they should have found a volunteer.
I'm not small either. But I'm not spilling over into someone's seat. That being said, it was completely unfair for him to be "sandwiched" in between two large bodies like that. I do think airlines need to start "measuring" people in some form or fashion. "If you can't fit through this opening comfortably, you need to purchase two seats."

Now that they are downsizing some of the spaces as well, it's going to get worse I'm afraid.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
In order to find a "sympathetic" jury, AA needs to hold the trial in Memphis.

Fattest Cities In America

RankMetro AreaOverall Score
1Memphis, TN-MS-AR76.97
2Shreveport-Bossier City, LA75.24
3Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN73.88
4Jackson, MS73.75
5New Orleans-Metairie, LA72.94
6Chattanooga, TN-GA72.31
7Mobile, AL72.26
8San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX71.26
9Greenville-Anderson-Mauldin, SC71.24
10Little Rock-North Little Rock-Conway, AR70.89
11Columbia, SC70.49
12Knoxville, TN70.47
13Youngstown-Warren-Boardman, OH-PA70.05
14Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro--Franklin, TN70.01
15Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX69.38
16Myrtle Beach-Conway-North Myrtle Beach, SC-NC69.33
17Lafayette, LA69.33
18Greensboro-High Point, NC69.02
19Oklahoma City, OK68.99
20Scranton--Wilkes-Barre--Hazleton, PA68.72
LINK

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I concur with you up to a point, but are we going to weigh every person who gets on the plane?
You bring up and interesting point regarding weighing. When people fly, most think they are just paying for a seat. But the reality is they are paying for the seat rental AND x amount of the available gross weight that aircraft can carry/fuel used.

In all honesty, it would make far more sense to charge passengers based on a flat "weight fee" per seat. Let's call it 130 for women and 180 for men. If you exceed that, your ticket price goes up.

Another way to look at it is.....
person A weighs 150 lbs.
person B weighs 300 lbs.

Shouldn't person A get to bring 150 lbs of luggage to equate to the value of person Bs ticket?

Of course, in today's society facts regarding obesity are apparently called "fatty shaming" so there's that.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
You bring up and interesting point regarding weighing. When people fly, most think they are just paying for a seat. But the reality is they are paying for the seat rental AND x amount of the available gross weight that aircraft can carry/fuel used.

In all honesty, it would make far more sense to charge passengers based on a flat "weight fee" per seat. Let's call it 130 for women and 180 for men. If you exceed that, your ticket price goes up.

Another way to look at it is.....
person A weighs 150 lbs.
person B weighs 300 lbs.

Shouldn't person A get to bring 150 lbs of luggage to equate to the value of person Bs ticket?

Of course, in today's society facts regarding obesity are apparently called "fatty shaming" so there's that.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I'm 202lbs and I've seen 130 pound women take up more room than I do, and I keep my carry-on in between my feet instead of going up top.

I do agree people who are taking up more than one seat should all have the same row and elbow each other, instead of us being the ones paying for it. I was stuck in between 2 biguns from KC to Atlanta. Sucks!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I concur with you up to a point, but are we going to weigh every person who gets on the plane?
Not weight, girth. You can weigh 400# but if you fit between the arm rests, no problem. I'm a big dude but I'm not impinging on others' space when flying. I've had my share of flights with obese people, it can be really frustrating.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I'm fine with paying by the pound. Let's do that.

I also wish we could charge extra for every cough -- sneeze -- and times you get up to pee.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm not small either. But I'm not spilling over into someone's seat. That being said, it was completely unfair for him to be "sandwiched" in between two large bodies like that. I do think airlines need to start "measuring" people in some form or fashion. "If you can't fit through this opening comfortably, you need to purchase two seats."
Yup - they do it with luggage but not people. SMH

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

The three airline seats are built on one frame that is designed to stay bolted to the floor in the event of an aborted takeoff. Watch this video and look at the size of the test dummies. Do they accurately reflect the weight of your seatmates when you are stuck in the middle seat? Or are your seatmates going to take you along for a ride to the front of the plane when the seat frame breaks loose?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

The three airline seats are built on one frame that is designed to stay bolted to the floor in the event of an aborted takeoff. Watch this video and look at the size of the test dummies. Do they accurately reflect the weight of your seatmates when you are stuck in the middle seat? Or are your seatmates going to take you along for a ride to the front of the plane when the seat frame breaks loose?
Note to self, when flying make sure I request, younger, "fit" female passengers to be my seat mates. Got it!

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
At high altitudes, gross weight really does become a relevant factor when loading a plane. The thinner air can't support the same weight it can at lower altitude. I've had a flight coming out of Helena, MT get delayed because the plane was too heavily loaded, and they sorted out who would have to get off. While it's an inconvenience and potential embarrassment, I'm glad they check these things, and I would not mind if they charged extra for big people, but big people should get roomier seating then too.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
At high altitudes, gross weight really does become a relevant factor when loading a plane. The thinner air can't support the same weight it can at lower altitude. I've had a flight coming out of Helena, MT get delayed because the plane was too heavily loaded, and they sorted out who would have to get off. While it's an inconvenience and potential embarrassment, I'm glad they check these things, and I would not mind if they charged extra for big people, but big people should get roomier seating then too.
It's called business class or first class. ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.