Question: 1959 Liberty Bowl

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Yes, the Liberty Bowl gets incredibly cold. I was at the 1976 Liberty Bowl vs UCLA. Froze my butt off! The outcome of that one was much better, though.
My brother attended both the '76 game and the '82 game and says the '76 game was colder. I went with him in '82. If the '76 game was colder, I am glad I was not there.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
My mother was at that game. She said it was very cold that night.

I think Galen Hall was the one who threw the pass on the fake field goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I watched on TV and it sure ?looked? COLD. In fact it was black and white TV cold! It's enough to almost make you put a coat on just to watch the game on TV while in a 72 degree environment. It had to be in the low 30's or even lower than that and PSU would have been better prepared for that kind of weather. Wasn't JoePa an assistant on that PSU staff?

It's good that they moved it to the South, but in Coach Bryant's last game in the Liberty Bowl in Memphis it sure looked COLD also. Everyone was bundled up, even Coach Bryant.

So, from 1959 COLD to 1983 COLD! The last Cold had a better outcome.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I watched on TV and it sure ?looked? COLD. In fact it was black and white TV cold! It's enough to almost make you put a coat on just to watch the game on TV while in a 72 degree environment. It had to be in the low 30's or even lower than that and PSU would have been better prepared for that kind of weather. Wasn't JoePa an assistant on that PSU staff?

It's good that they moved it to the South, but in Coach Bryant's last game in the Liberty Bowl in Memphis it sure looked COLD also. Everyone was bundled up, even Coach Bryant.

So, from 1959 COLD to 1983 COLD! The last Cold had a better outcome.
Paterno was an assistant to head coach Rip Engle.

pensagoula

May 6, 2017
Am hoping there is a Bama football fan out there who may know why Alabama has a trophy displayed on campus for the 1959 Liberty Bowl even though they lost to Penn St. 7-0.
Many thanks to all who replied. Appears the consensus is that it was a participation trophy, not some strange quirk of that particular bowl game. Enjoyed the many personal accounts of the game. Also, in response to one replier, no, I am not a PSU fan.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
On a more serious note:

1) it was the first Liberty Bowl....played back then in the cradle of liberty in Philly

2) it was our first game against a black player. Bryant had to deal with that. I recall reading that he was torn because he didn't want to draw attention to it, but he also wanted to make sure none of the stereotyped crackers had plans to injure the guy, either. Bryant just made the point every one on the field was a football player and treat them all the same.

3) Bowl games back in the day were more prestigious - even the lesser bowls.

As hard as it is to believe now, there were only NINE bowl games in 1959...and that was a large number given that only two years earlier there had only been seven.

Unlike today when 5-7 teams with good GPAs go, you had to be a GOOD team to get a bowl berth in 1959. Back then, even the Gator Bowl and Tangerine Bowl (now the Citrus Bowl) were BIG deals.

It might be that every team that participated in a bowl game DID get a trophy because unlike today we didn't have a bunch of losers in bowl games.
I was on campus, living at Northington. I watched at a neighbors and she had a big black lady who worked for her. She had brought her kids with her. They were quite openly pulling for PSU. I remember thinking "That's odd." Then, I thought "No, it's not"... :D

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I was on campus, living at Northington. I watched at a neighbors and she had a big black lady who worked for her. She had brought her kids with her. They were quite openly pulling for PSU. I remember thinking "That's odd." Then, I thought "No, it's not"... :D
I think that was the first time we played against black players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.