Tim Williams: We never understood why LSU ran the ball so much against us

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
You made the point better than I could but they really didn't have a serviceable QB AND their O-line was losing the battle at the line of scrimmage. To be frank, we were twice the team on defense that they were on offense the last 2 years. Heck, even in 2013 we beat them 38-10.
38-17, but still a rout.

FTR - although I was at the game and I'm good, I'm not THAT good. I do recall the Lee pick because we spent halftime discussing how LSU would try to seize momentum. We agreed they'd come out and throw the ball because everyone would expect LF. When he picked it off, I knew a TD was going to win the game right then and there.

I have several of the plays in my phone.

I remember A LOT of them, but no - I'm not THAT good.....

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I'm not trying to zing Mr Williams, but LSU did not exactly have Tim Tebow/Cam Newton/Johnny Manziel taking snaps back there.

I actually attended the 2015 game at BDS. LSU trailed at the half, 13-10, thanks to an insane 55-yard field goal by Griffith. They tried to pass - and Dillon Lee intercepted the very first play of the second half. We scored to go up 20-10. LSU got the ball back and handed to One-Net twice and then threw a first down to pass to Dupree. On their next three plays they threw two passes - both incomplete - and ran Fournette once. They punted.

We went four and out. LSU got the ball back and Fournette got six yards on two carries. On 3rd and four, Harris threw incomplete. They punted, we got the ball back and drove down for a TD to make it 27-10.

They tried to pass on first down and Harris got sacked. Fournette lost a yard on the next play and then they threw the ball again incomplete.

In the third quarter, LSU ran 13 plays, seven of them passes. The were 1 for 6 for ten yards, with a pick (that led to a TD) and a sack. If you deduct Lee's return yardage (four), they only netted six yards passing.

I think it's pretty obvious why they didn't pass. They didn't have a quarterback.
Exactly..When you have a QB with limited abilities facing Coach Saban 's D..Is like throwing a lamb into a Lions Cage & hope it survives..

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
Well this dispels the notion that we never stacked the box in that game, which I heard repeated many times.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Miles knew he didn't have a QB who could beat Alabama straight up. He did have a very good running game and a solid defense up to that point. So, IMO he decided to run the clock, eschew the passing game, play field position and hope an Alabama turnover could provide him with enough points to win. Looking back it appears Orgeron tried the same thing with the same results. They will be tougher team to defense this year.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Miles knew he didn't have a QB who could beat Alabama straight up. He did have a very good running game and a solid defense up to that point. So, IMO he decided to run the clock, eschew the passing game, play field position and hope an Alabama turnover could provide him with enough points to win. Looking back it appears Orgeron tried the same thing with the same results. They will be tougher team to defense this year.
They still have the same qb issues. Etling isn't the answer.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.