Tim Williams: We never understood why LSU ran the ball so much against us

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
"If they would've passed the ball, or showed pass or something, it would've been a different three-to-four years. They just keeping running and running. We're like, 'Man, I don't know what the deal is with this,' " Williams said Tuesday morning on "Off the Bench" with Jordy Culotta and T-Bob Hebert on 104.5 FM ESPN Baton Rouge.

The answer brought a chuckle to Williams' voice and the show's hosts.

"They're just downright going to keep running this ball, knowing that we've got eight men in the box," Williams said.
http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_c536833e-34c5-11e7-a653-afe9310cf899.html

RTR!

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Replace "would've" with "could've"

They were in the same boat as us. No passing game to keep the defense honest. Honestly, why not load the box?

Not it that I remember y'all doing that. Seemed to me y'all for the most part stayed in your base defense and swarmed like crazy. Fournette was getting hit in the backfield, so it wasn't really on him.

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Replace "would've" with "could've"

They were in the same boat as us. No passing game to keep the defense honest. Honestly, why not load the box?

Not it that I remember y'all doing that. Seemed to me y'all for the most part stayed in your base defense and swarmed like crazy. Fournette was getting hit in the backfield, so it wasn't really on him.
To be fair, "would've" is technically correct. If they had passed the ball more, we would've had more interceptions and still would've won the games ;)

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Well, that in a nutshell is pretty much the reason Les got handed his " hat " , don`t we think? Although Dub might be right in that they may have not had a whole hell of a lot of choice ( couldn`t throw ). But then again, that would be on Les too, wouldn`t it?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm not trying to zing Mr Williams, but LSU did not exactly have Tim Tebow/Cam Newton/Johnny Manziel taking snaps back there.

I actually attended the 2015 game at BDS. LSU trailed at the half, 13-10, thanks to an insane 55-yard field goal by Griffith. They tried to pass - and Dillon Lee intercepted the very first play of the second half. We scored to go up 20-10. LSU got the ball back and handed to One-Net twice and then threw a first down to pass to Dupree. On their next three plays they threw two passes - both incomplete - and ran Fournette once. They punted.

We went four and out. LSU got the ball back and Fournette got six yards on two carries. On 3rd and four, Harris threw incomplete. They punted, we got the ball back and drove down for a TD to make it 27-10.

They tried to pass on first down and Harris got sacked. Fournette lost a yard on the next play and then they threw the ball again incomplete.

In the third quarter, LSU ran 13 plays, seven of them passes. The were 1 for 6 for ten yards, with a pick (that led to a TD) and a sack. If you deduct Lee's return yardage (four), they only netted six yards passing.

I think it's pretty obvious why they didn't pass. They didn't have a quarterback.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I'm not trying to zing Mr Williams, but LSU did not exactly have Tim Tebow/Cam Newton/Johnny Manziel taking snaps back there.

I actually attended the 2015 game at BDS. LSU trailed at the half, 13-10, thanks to an insane 55-yard field goal by Griffith. They tried to pass - and Dillon Lee intercepted the very first play of the second half. We scored to go up 20-10. LSU got the ball back and handed to One-Net twice and then threw a first down to pass to Dupree. On their next three plays they threw two passes - both incomplete - and ran Fournette once. They punted.

We went four and out. LSU got the ball back and Fournette got six yards on two carries. On 3rd and four, Harris threw incomplete. They punted, we got the ball back and drove down for a TD to make it 27-10.

They tried to pass on first down and Harris got sacked. Fournette lost a yard on the next play and then they threw the ball again incomplete.

In the third quarter, LSU ran 13 plays, seven of them passes. The were 1 for 6 for ten yards, with a pick (that led to a TD) and a sack. If you deduct Lee's return yardage (four), they only netted six yards passing.

I think it's pretty obvious why they didn't pass. They didn't have a quarterback.
Do you have a part of your brain where you can remember Bama games (and other stats) at will? I am amazed at your recall or organization of material...don't know which!!!

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

You made the point better than I could but they really didn't have a serviceable QB AND their O-line was losing the battle at the line of scrimmage. To be frank, we were twice the team on defense that they were on offense the last 2 years. Heck, even in 2013 we beat them 38-10.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Well, that in a nutshell is pretty much the reason Les got handed his " hat " , don`t we think? Although Dub might be right in that they may have not had a whole hell of a lot of choice ( couldn`t throw ). But then again, that would be on Les too, wouldn`t it?
Imagine the stat line had they tried to go air raid with Harris back there. I think it would be

8-40
56 yards
0 TD
3 INT
6 sacks
13 ATT
3 YDS

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
You made the point better than I could but they really didn't have a serviceable QB AND their O-line was losing the battle at the line of scrimmage. To be frank, we were twice the team on defense that they were on offense the last 2 years. Heck, even in 2013 we beat them 38-10.
This is definitely true. If they had just thrown it more it wouldn't have made a difference (at least not to their benefit). However, they could have been MUCH more creative overall. Most of there runs were just straight up the middle hand off to Fournette and watch their line get blown up. They should have tried SOMETHING different in how they attacked us after all of these years. It literally only takes 20 points to beat them.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
This will likely be different going forward. They now have a competent OC and Coach O will allow him to do what he wants to do. I'm still not sure they have the QB, though.

The amazing thing about the Les Miles era, is the talent they always seemed to have at WR despite no QB or any discernible plan to pass the ball.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This will likely be different going forward. They now have a competent OC and Coach O will allow him to do what he wants to do. I'm still not sure they have the QB, though.

The amazing thing about the Les Miles era, is the talent they always seemed to have at WR despite no QB or any discernible plan to pass the ball.
The last public update I heard out of Baton Rouge by Coach O wasn't a ringing endorsement of their qb's. He basically said they don't have a good enough quarterback to win in the SEC. He didn't mince words.

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Me either, but I bet we won`t be able to load the box as much regardless.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
The last public update I heard out of Baton Rouge by Coach O wasn't a ringing endorsement for their qb's. He basically said they don't have a good enough quarterback to win in the SEC. He didn't mince words.
Could very well be a prime landing spot for some 5*, hot shot, can`t miss kid.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.