RBR Editorial: Summer Camp Changes & Third-party Hiring Rules Harm All, Help None

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

The new NCAA rules to deter third party involvement in recruiting are already being felt: changes to summer camps and analyst hirings/concomitant recruitment are making their mark.

First, we begin with the IAWP rule (Individual Associated with Prospective athlete.) Let’s call it the Gus Malzahn rule. And, in an ironic twist, it is Auburn who is first affected by the IAWP. Auburn, which hired Coach Blackmon from Auburn-Opelika as an analyst, is now unable to recruit at the powerhouse for two years, barring applying for, and receiving, a waiver. That is a pipeline school for the Tigers, one routinely filled with blue chippers and 13 miles from Jordan-Hare stadium. Alabama has even reached into West Georgia and recruited Auburn-Opelika prospects like Rashaan Evans and Reuben Foster (and others.)

For once, you feel bad if not for Auburn then Gus Malzahn. He’s never hired a coach from a school where he has a recruit signing. That’s a matter of public record, and it is one that should be emphasized (by him, at the least.) The abiding majority of high school hirings are being done based upon identifiable coaching talent or potential to help the college team win as a coach. It is a profession, and all indication is that these personnel decisions are being treated by the involved parties like professionals.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Re: RBR Editorial: Summer Camp Changes & Third-party Hiring Rules Harm All, Help None

Not criticizing anyone but curious that we're not fussing about this anymore. It is - simply - a gosh awful set of rules.

Of course the NCAA lap dogs in the media - including local dingdongs - are falling right in line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Re: RBR Editorial: Summer Camp Changes & Third-party Hiring Rules Harm All, Help None

Agree with this... Sounds like solutions looking for problems...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Dumb rule. I can't stand when governments, organizations, etc do stuff like this.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Gus is the prime example of this rule. He was hired to get three recruits from his high school to come to Arkansas. The practice was being abused and it needed to be addressed.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Gus is the prime example of this rule. He was hired to get three recruits from his high school to come to Arkansas. The practice was being abused and it needed to be addressed.

Nonsense.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Actually, Gus would still be hired. This is for guys like Pruitt who are hired for off field positions. If a guy is hired for an on field position, there's no problem.

To your main point, your wrong and wrong in a big way.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Agree with second sentence. Disagree with the third.

As with a lot of things in life, we remember the outliers, and think they happen a greater percentage of the time than they really do.

This rule throws the baby out with the bathwater.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.