What are your thoughts on the Confederate memorials being taken down in NOLA?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
right, because they didn't want their covert racism associated with Spencer's overt racism
So, your contention is that the "Save the R. E. Lee Statue" group really is racist, but they want to hide that real racism, in order to trick people into retaining the Lee statue on the basis that it is not racist because that somehow forwards the cause of racism?

Just examining your premise here. You realize how silly that sounds, right?

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
A real said:
I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, [applause]---that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will for ever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.
(Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln. Vol. 3, Page 145-6)

The same real said:
I AM NOT IN FAVOR OF NEGRO CITIZENSHIP. ... Now my opinion is that the different States have the power to make a negro a citizen under the Constitution of the United States if they choose. The Dred Scott decision decides that they have not that power. If the State of Illinois had that power, I SHOULD BE OPPOSED TO THE EXERCISE OF IT.
(New York Times, December 28, 1860)

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
This argument about different Monuments could go on. Like Lincoln ordered the death of 302 Indian males hung in Minnesota and told them he will get rid of all the Indians in that state. I'm sure they have fuzzy feeling in their heart for the great president with his statue in Washington. Just saying but at the same time they probably are not taught that in school like a lot of other stuff isn't. The winners write the history books.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I just find it amazing/laughable/idiotic, etc, that people on here think that only us stupid white southern slave owners were the only ones who wanted to keep slaves and hated black people. It floors me that people think that the north as a whole wanted to free the slaves. I also find it quite laughable that many/most people think that white people are the only peoples who have ever owned slaves and mistreated people.
Let's discuss Sherman and his indescriminant killing and destruction or Malcom X's hate filled rhetoric and we can dig up lots of stuff on Lincoln and how the people up north really felt about "Lincoln's Dirty War". Can we say New York Draft Riots?
People, quit acting like southern white people are the only ones to have ever been bad to black people. And quit acting like we need to remove monuments to our American heritage. We'd have nothing up at all if we took everything down that was offensive to someone.

And, by the way, let's discuss the different African tribes selling Africans who were slaves to these tribes to white people, or is that too much of an inconvenient truth?

Like most people, I don't agree with the owning of another human (regardless of color, etc) but taking away monuments of people who were (for the most part) fighting for the rights of the individual states over that of the federal gvt and not fighting in support of slavery is a slippery slope, and as someone on here said earlier, be careful because later on you may find your side on the Losing End.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
So, your contention is that the "Save the R. E. Lee Statue" group really is racist, but they want to hide that real racism, in order to trick people into retaining the Lee statue on the basis that it is not racist because that somehow forwards the cause of racism?

Just examining your premise here. You realize how silly that sounds, right?
Yes

I know because I used to hang out with those guys back when I was in school. Racist as hell and always supporting stuff like this with a wink. If you hung out with frats boys at Bama you did too

actually, no. I amend this I'll say that some of the "Save the R. E. Lee Statue" group is every bit as racist as Spencer, not all.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Yes

I know because I used to hang out with those guys back when I was in school. Racist as hell and always supporting stuff like this with a wink. If you hung out with frats boys at Bama you did too
Thanks. But you are drawing an analogy from one set of people you have experienced in your life with another group of people you do not know. I am not convinced the analogy holds.
actually, no. I amend this I'll say that some of the "Save the R. E. Lee Statue" group is every bit as racist as Spencer, not all.
Which ones?

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
If SPLC told me it was raining, I'd leave my umbrella at home.

Saw a conservative writer note on Twitter this morning that if Spencer and his ilk are all that are willing to defend these monuments, then they ought to be dismantled. I understand the reasoning but those of us who might appreciate them for historical or artistic reasons, or who like myself and Tidewater, understand the Civil War to be a very complex series of decisions, have been labelled as racists and bigots for so long that most decent folk are left to mourn the statue's loss in anonymity while the real racists call the liberal's bluff. No more room for a reasonable middle.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Thanks. But you are drawing an analogy from one set of people you have experienced in your life with another group of people you do not know. I am not convinced the analogy holds.

Which ones?
point taken and I am. But since i've known people to be part of groups like this, I feel like it isn't a stretch

In fact I feel it's far more of a stretch to make the assumption that none of this group is racist

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I saw this on facebook from the SPLC:

Expecting anything less than propaganda from SPLC is like expecting anything less than propaganda from, well, MSNBC or Fox News. Anything they say even remotely connected with reality does so only by accident.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Does anybody truly believe the south would have still seceded if there was no slavery issue? I'm not trying to say there weren't other contributing factors but slavery was the elephant in the room.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Does anybody truly believe the south would have still seceded if there was no slavery issue? I'm not trying to say there weren't other contributing factors but slavery was the elephant in the room.
I don't think they would have seceded, but that's just me. I'm also not sure even if the South had won the Civil War that slavery would've continued to this day. If it weren't for Eli Whitney and the cotton gin, I believe that slavery may have died out as the economic driver in the South; it was on a downturn before cotton gin was invented. By the time the Civil War started, Southern agriculture (primarily cotton) was on a downturn as the yields was not increasing. Landowners were moving to new land west of the Deep South to keep up their cotton production due to Deep South land being agriculturally exhausted. Well, eventually, they would've reached deserts, and I'm not sure they would've figured out how to grow cotton in the desert. I believe slavery would've died out eventually due to those factors.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not directed at you, but how one stood regarding the union had little to do with one being or not being racist.
This is very true. The same GGF who belonged to The Union League also owned eight slaves. The Confederate State of Alabama confiscated them too. I was just pointing out why I had no feelings pro or con. Another GGF fought in the 1st Alabama, Union, Sherman's personal bodyguard (gasp!) I'll hasten to add that I consider Sherman a war criminal...

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.