What are your thoughts on the Confederate memorials being taken down in NOLA?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
and also an excellent opportunity to post this excerpt from a speech given at the statue dedication. too bad the noble cause was lost.

link
Clearly Julian Carr was a racist and just as clearly, the monument is there because 1800 UNC students and alumni answered the call of North Carolina when her people voted to leave the Union and the Federal government employed force to stop them.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
in this case it sounds like the governing body was ignoring the process, but I will admit to very limited knowledge. I agree however the University should have done this on their own years ago
If the school doesn’t take it down, they are free to transfer to a school with non-offensive statues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I will be glad when CSA no longer can be viewed outside of museums. Still, I don't agree with violence and anarchy. Things are becoming like a lawless nation. There's a certain way to go about things.
I look at a Confederate soldier monument and I see brave defenders of self-government and constitutional liberty. Men who fought because their state asked them to. Most did not own slaves, but their states tolerated the institution. Others see other things.
When I see a soldiers monument for Union veterans (and I did this summer in my trek across Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and Massachusetts), I see men who (mostly) fought bravely, but also violated the Constitution and suppressed representative democracy. I do know that nobody in the northern communities where they exist see them that way, nor did anyone who erected those monuments do so to celebrate crushing the Constitution and representative democracy, so I give them the benefit of the doubt. I wish southerners got the same generosity.

I look at a Confederate soldier monument and I see brave defenders of self-government and constitutional liberty. Men who fought because their state asked them to. Most did not own slaves, but their states tolerated the institution. Others see other things.
When I see a soldiers monument for Union veterans (and I did this summer in my trek across Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine and Massachusetts), I see men who (mostly) fought bravely, but also violated the Constitution and suppressed representative democracy. I do know that nobody in the northern communities where they exist see them that way, nor did anyone who erected those monuments do so to celebrate crushing the Constitution and representative democracy, so I give them the benefit of the doubt. I wish southerners got the same generosity.
I try to see your point but I just don’t. You (not your personally) tolerate slavery, uphold it, like it, etc. I can never side with that. Good ole Dixiecrats. I use to think it was all about States’ rights, but it was so much more than that.

iPhone[emoji208]

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I try to see your point but I just don’t. You (not your personally) tolerate slavery, uphold it, like it, etc. I can never side with that. Good ole Dixiecrats. I use to think it was all about States’ rights, but it was so much more than that.

iPhone[emoji208]
So you think people who didn't own slaves stopped their lives and went and fought in arguably one of the most brutal wars in history so people they probably didn't even know could own slaves? That's a stretch.

I feel your pain TW.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Tar Heel is a nickname applied to the U.S. state of North Carolina and its inhabitants. ... One such legend claims it to be a nickname given during the U.S. Civil War, because of the state's importance on the Confederate side, and the fact that the troops "stuck to their ranks like they had tar on their heels".Why aren't these students asking for UNC to change the name "Tar Heel".
They arrested and charged the vandals in Durham and later, the charges were dismissed and the vandals released, despite having clear video evidence of who the perps were.

I could show them evidence that voting for the Democratic Party was voting for the "white man's party." I wonder if they would storm the DNC and destroy that as well?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

iPhone[emoji208]
that is the entire issue with the whole "its about State's rights" argument

sure it was it was about States Rights to own Slaves

So you think people who didn't own slaves stopped their lives and went and fought in arguably one of the most brutal wars in history so people they probably didn't even know could own slaves? That's a stretch.

I feel your pain TW.

Maybe not, but they were willing to fight for that right though.

iPhone[emoji208]

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
So you're willing to fight for somebody else's right to own a Lamborghini? So what are the chances you'll ever own one?

Yah - the right to own a car and the right to own a human being are absolutely the same. Apples to apples really. I've seen the light.

Even people not owning slaves understood the economic importance of maintaining that institution for the southern states. It was like an octopus. It touched every industry and made a difference in the lives of all. Not every Rebel soldier was a racist. Not every Union soldier was a saint. But the overarching tenets and goals of one particular side sought not only to rebel against the union - making them traitors - but also to preserve an institution that kept over human being in literal chains and at the mercy of their master.

You know, what, let's toss out the slavery angle for a second. I'm not inclined to erect statues to failed traitors. Toss in slavery and it's really a no-brainer.

Last edited:

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Yah - the right to own a car and the right to own a human being are absolutely the same. Apples to apples really. I've seen the light.

Even people not owning slaves understood the economic importance of maintaining that institution for the southern states. It was like an octopus. It touched every industry and made a difference in the lives of all. Not every Rebel soldier was a racist. Not every Union soldier was a saint. But the overarching tenets and goals of one particular side sought not only to rebel against the union - making them traitors - but also to preserve an institution that kept over human being in literal chains and at the mercy of their master.

You know, what, let's toss out the slavery angle for a second. I'm not inclined to erect statues to failed traitors. Toss in slavery and it's really a no-brainer.
I appreciate your view and agree overall with the sentiment expressed. I do believe however your assumption that poor un-landed whites in the south in 1850 had any understanding of the economic system built around slavery. As a social caste they, poor whites, clung only one rung above the slaves. One can see in practice today that fear of falling down the social ladder the fear of non-whites and the concept of states rights for that matter is deployed so effectively from a political standpoint.

There is a fairly elaborate psychology involved in inducing a populace to fight for the aims of the wealthy. It has endured throughout history.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
it's been a long time coming.

Just In: Atlanta’s Confederate streets get new names

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms signed a bill Wednesday officially renaming three city streets with Confederate in their names.

Confederate Avenue and East Confederate Avenue will be renamed United Avenue and United Avenue S.E., respectively and a third street, Confederate Court, will be renamed Trestletree Court, after apartment buildings that are on the street.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
So, you look at humans as property? Hmm..[emoji848]Tell me more about that.

iPhone[emoji208]
Given the amount of money it took to have slaves during that time period I would imagine it would be about the same as owning a Lamborghini now.

And yes, during that time period other humans, not just Africans, were owned by other humans.

Still haven't answered the question: would you fight for somebody else's right to keep and maintain other humans against their will?

Given the amount of money it took to have slaves during that time period I would imagine it would be about the same as owning a Lamborghini now.

And yes, during that time period other humans, not just Africans, were owned by other humans.

Still haven't answered the question: would you fight for somebody else's right to keep and maintain other humans against their will?

Nope. I value human life better than most seemingly.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I appreciate your view and agree overall with the sentiment expressed. I do believe however your assumption that poor un-landed whites in the south in 1850 had any understanding of the economic system built around slavery. As a social caste they, poor whites, clung only one rung above the slaves. One can see in practice today that fear of falling down the social ladder the fear of non-whites and the concept of states rights for that matter is deployed so effectively from a political standpoint.

There is a fairly elaborate psychology involved in inducing a populace to fight for the aims of the wealthy. It has endured throughout history.
And that psychology is still working well, to this day - at least in America.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.