News Article: Why was Dee Milliner a NFL Bust?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
That is all due to the rule changes occurring in the late 70s and the subsequent adaptation and gradual exploitation of new opportunities.

No longer could you touch a receiver five yards past the LOS. Before this rule, receivers were mugged All over the field prior to the QB throwing the ball.

Extended arms and open hands during pass blocking. Effectively legalized holding and extended the range and effectness of the OL. Much more time in the pocket.

You change just these two rules back and the NFL is a different league overnight.
That added to it, but only a small part. The NFL became a pass happy league when Walsh brought the west coast offense to the NFL. The teams that have won the super bowl due a strong run game can probably be counted on a single hand since Walsh. I can name the Bears and Ravens from 2000, but they won mostly off of defense. Point is Walsh changed the NFL and how people drafted. Johnson and Belichick followed suit and everyone has tried to copy since.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
SQUIRREL!! This thread needs a strong dose of ADD meds.

I cringed when Milliner went to the Jets. I hope someone picks him up and he can continue his career. He's a great person who deserves the chance.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Milliner's career was derailed by injuries. Had he stayed healthy he'd still be in the league, even if he was a disappointment for a top ten pick.

Anybody who thinks Alabama could beat an NFL team is drastically underestimating the difference in both talent and scheme between the NFL and college. The Browns would destroy Alabama.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Milliner's career was derailed by injuries. Had he stayed healthy he'd still be in the league, even if he was a disappointment for a top ten pick.

Anybody who thinks Alabama could beat an NFL team is drastically underestimating the difference in both talent and scheme between the NFL and college. The Browns would destroy Alabama.
Completely agree. If Dee doesn't get injured, he's in the league as a decent backup or starter. He may not have the production many expect from a top ten pick, but he's still in the league doing work if he doesn't suffer the string of injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.