Things to do in ATL?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
My wife and I will be going to Atlanta in mid-July for a long weekend (Friday night through Monday morning - the arrival and departure times can be fluid) for the Roger Waters concert in Duluth (Infinite Energy Arena‎). I know we have a number of Atlanta residents here on TFNS, so I'm hoping some of you can come with some pointers - where to stay, what things we should make an effort to see / do, what areas to avoid, etc. We're driving, so we can either drive or use MARTA.

I've not booked any rooms yet as I'm b to sure if we should just stay out in Duluth the whole time, stay downtown, or what...

Any help is appreciated!

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
College football hall of fame, High museum of art (3rd Friday of the month is Friday night Jazz), civil rights museum, GA aquarium, Botanical gardens usually has events in the summer, see what shows are at the Fox it's a cool venue . Don't stay downtown. Look in midtown or buckhead. More restaurants and things in walking distance. We have uber here so if you didn't want to drive and MARTA isnt an option. What are you looking to do? I can give more specific stuff.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
im not that familiar with the duluth area, but it is a good ways from town and marta only goes to doraville on the northeast line. if you are staying on the northeast side of town, it gives you an easy way to access downtown, mid-town etc, but honestly, on a weekend, it is probably quicker to drive (although parking may be a pain depending on where you go).

downtown has some fun stuff to do (college football hall of fame, aquarium, centennial olympic park, etc.) and there are tons of good restaurants in downtown, mid-town and bulkhead, but all of that is pretty far from duluth. stone mountain is also nice to visit and it is more on the northeast side of town.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
unless you are a really big fan on Asian food* there really isn't much of a reason to hang out in Duluth for the entire weekend. If you tend to drink or do "other" at concerts you may want to grab a room by the Infinite energy center for that particular night. There is no public transport worth taking from there to the City proper. If the concert is Friday you'll want to head up early, traffic is a nightmare out that way. I'd stay in or around Mid Town all but the night of the show. I am going to the same venue for Gorillaz later this year and intend to get a room out there as well. You could conceivably stay in Mid Town and Uber/lyft/cab back and forth to the show but it will be expensive and again if on a weekday a hell of a commute. Mid Town is really the best place for tourists here IMO. Downtown rolls up the streets at night as there aren't a lot of residents. Mid Town has the best restaurants and the easiest access to Atlanta night life and is a safe walk able area. Ping us closer to the event and we can help with particulars.

* the asian food out in Duluth is pretty incredible and I say this as a guy that lived in Asia for a while. Great Korean BBQ (Honey Pig), Great Korean Fried Chicken AKA KFC (Thank You Chicken - really that is the name) and Ramen (Umaido) for a start. Lots of other great places as well

So I just looked and the concert is Sunday night (boring con call) go stay in Midtown Friday, hang out in Atlanta Saturday, head up to Duluth Sunday afternoon and grab some really good Ramen on the way in I recommend the Tori Ramen with added Fried Chicken. Going to guess that you may have a taste for music/record stores. Criminal Records and Wax n' Facts are both good shops in little 5 points. Wax n' Facts has been around so long that it is where I bought records in High School. The entire Little 5 area can be fun though a touch sketchy in the hippy drug scene kind of way. Junkmans daughter is an Atlanta institution worth checking out, the Porter is a great place to eat with a great beer selection, wrecking bar is close by and a hell of a brew pub and of course there is the Vortex which has the benefit of being 21 and up and offering one of the few remaining smoking sections if thats your thing. Lots of great music venues and whatnot. For Latenight hit the Cafe Intermezzo in Midtown for Desserts and nightcap drinks, iirc they are open until 2 or 3 on weekends. I really like the W Midtown as a hotel. Wife and I get rooms there now and again for nights out when we are doing something in town. I like the location and the Bliss Spa in the building offers a good massage which is never a bad way to start a weekend.

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
there aren't a lot of residents
Well the residents aren't the type out of towners want to deal with. There are a lot more homeless ppl downtown than in midtown and buckhead.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
There's indoor skydiving near the Braves stadium. Cumberland mall has pokestops, other than that I just typically curl up in the fetal position and pray for the phone to ring so I can go back home. People, soooo many people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Sounds like midtown is the place to stay - we'll drive out to the concert and back, I'm not one to party at concerts, I want to enjoy and remember them, haha...

Thanks for all the pointers. If anyone has some specific restaurant recommendations (killer breakfast, lunch, or dinner), those would be appreciated. We're not chain people, we're kind of foodies, so all recommendations are welcomed!

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Sounds like midtown is the place to stay - we'll drive out to the concert and back, I'm not one to party at concerts, I want to enjoy and remember them, haha...

Thanks for all the pointers. If anyone has some specific restaurant recommendations (killer breakfast, lunch, or dinner), those would be appreciated. We're not chain people, we're kind of foodies, so all recommendations are welcomed!
Atlanta Fish Market was good in Buckhead
Bistro Niko wasn't bad in Buckhead.
Bell Street Burritos in Midtown (not actually on Bell Street).
Blue Moon Pizza there is one in Buckhead
Silver Skillet in Midtown for breakfast brunch or lunch

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Miller Union for dinner if you are staying in midtown. Restaurant just picked up a James Beard award again. If you don't mind venturing away from Midtown, Gunshow is a fav of mine and a foodie spot.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

the vortex for burgers.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
unless you are a really big fan on Asian food* there really isn't much of a reason to hang out in Duluth for the entire weekend. If you tend to drink or do "other" at concerts you may want to grab a room by the Infinite energy center for that particular night. There is no public transport worth taking from there to the City proper. If the concert is Friday you'll want to head up early, traffic is a nightmare out that way. I'd stay in or around Mid Town all but the night of the show. I am going to the same venue for Gorillaz later this year and intend to get a room out there as well. You could conceivably stay in Mid Town and Uber/lyft/cab back and forth to the show but it will be expensive and again if on a weekday a hell of a commute. Mid Town is really the best place for tourists here IMO. Downtown rolls up the streets at night as there aren't a lot of residents. Mid Town has the best restaurants and the easiest access to Atlanta night life and is a safe walk able area. Ping us closer to the event and we can help with particulars.

* the asian food out in Duluth is pretty incredible and I say this as a guy that lived in Asia for a while. Great Korean BBQ (Honey Pig), Great Korean Fried Chicken AKA KFC (Thank You Chicken - really that is the name) and Ramen (Umaido) for a start. Lots of other great places as well

So I just looked and the concert is Sunday night (boring con call) go stay in Midtown Friday, hang out in Atlanta Saturday, head up to Duluth Sunday afternoon and grab some really good Ramen on the way in I recommend the Tori Ramen with added Fried Chicken. Going to guess that you may have a taste for music/record stores. Criminal Records and Wax n' Facts are both good shops in little 5 points. Wax n' Facts has been around so long that it is where I bought records in High School. The entire Little 5 area can be fun though a touch sketchy in the hippy drug scene kind of way. Junkmans daughter is an Atlanta institution worth checking out, the Porter is a great place to eat with a great beer selection, wrecking bar is close by and a hell of a brew pub and of course there is the Vortex which has the benefit of being 21 and up and offering one of the few remaining smoking sections if thats your thing. Lots of great music venues and whatnot. For Latenight hit the Cafe Intermezzo in Midtown for Desserts and nightcap drinks, iirc they are open until 2 or 3 on weekends. I really like the W Midtown as a hotel. Wife and I get rooms there now and again for nights out when we are doing something in town. I like the location and the Bliss Spa in the building offers a good massage which is never a bad way to start a weekend.
completely forgot about Café Intermezzo

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012

Go to nearly any all you can eat Korean place. If it's your first time, they'll cook at your table after you pick out the food (for the uninitiated.) Also, "h mart" aka Korean Wal-Mart. It's just soooooooooo beautiful

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
The varsity is greasy and gross. I don't know anyone from here that actually likes that place.
I agree with this. Seriously why go to the worst place in this city?
I got two aunts, uncles, and a grandma that will disagree with you (all ATL residents). But then again, they don't go there when in the mood for a salad. They go there specifically for THAT chili dog and onion rings.

The vortex is adults only, allows smoking, and had AWESOME food.

Flip burger has the best milkshakes (Krispy kreme, cpt crunch, with alcohol if you want) I've had in a while and solid burgers.

Little 5 points is Atlanta's Tribeca.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Go to nearly any all you can eat Korean place. If it's your first time, they'll cook at your table after you pick out the food (for the uninitiated.) Also, "h mart" aka Korean Wal-Mart. It's just soooooooooo beautiful
I love H Mart, great place. During the weekends they have people working there to teach the white people what to buy. Tell them a dish you want to make and they will help you find the right stuff. It is how I learned that I needed black bean paste to make black pepper chicken

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I got two aunts, uncles, and a grandma that will disagree with you (all ATL residents). But then again, they don't go there when in the mood for a salad. They go there specifically for THAT chili dog and onion rings.

The vortex is adults only, allows smoking, and had AWESOME food.

Flip burger has the best milkshakes (Krispy kreme, cpt crunch, with alcohol if you want) I've had in a while and solid burgers.

Little 5 points is Atlanta's Tribeca.
Flip burgers are meh. The flip sauce is basically just thousand island dressing. but that Krispy Kreme milkshake is just pure awesomeness. I have actually never been to the Vortex but everyone says it is great.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.