Big 12 perception continues to sink

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
BYU gets 1.2 million from ESPN for a six game home schedule. 7.2 million is not a lot of money, compared to the Big Boys. BYU plays at Mississippi State this year and a neutral field with LSU. They play Wisconsin and Utah at home. They don't get very much from the BYU Channel so the road for independents is a hard one, it seems. I am sure Texas could do better but who wants to play Texas when you can get a cupcake? I don't think Texas could make it as independent for that reason.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
BYU gets 1.2 million from ESPN for a six game home schedule. 7.2 million is not a lot of money, compared to the Big Boys. BYU plays at Mississippi State this year and a neutral field with LSU. They play Wisconsin and Utah at home. They don't get very much from the BYU Channel so the road for independents is a hard one, it seems. I am sure Texas could do better but who wants to play Texas when you can get a cupcake? I don't think Texas could make it as independent for that reason.
Texas, ND, Florida, Michigan, tOSU and Alabama are probably the only programs that could survive an independent status long term because of the demand. They are basically the Steelers, Packers, Cowboys, Raiders, and Broncos of college football in that they have fans every where that will watch them. Bama, Michigan, UF, and tOSU would never do it because they know there is more risk financially to do it. ND has practically always done it, and they don't want to be equal to any one. Texas might test the waters because they can, and the other conferences might no bow down to them when signing conference television agreements.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Texas, ND, Florida, Michigan, tOSU and Alabama are probably the only programs that could survive an independent status long term because of the demand. They are basically the Steelers, Packers, Cowboys, Raiders, and Broncos of college football in that they have fans every where that will watch them. Bama, Michigan, UF, and tOSU would never do it because they know there is more risk financially to do it. ND has practically always done it, and they don't want to be equal to any one. Texas might test the waters because they can, and the other conferences might no bow down to them when signing conference television agreements.
I understand the appeal, but I wonder how many SEC teams would schedule Texas when they can get BYU or Tulane. Could Texas fill a schedule with SEC, B1G, ACC and Pac 12 teams? Texas vs S Mississippi or E Carolina would not be big draw, IMO.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I understand the appeal, but I wonder how many SEC teams would schedule Texas when they can get BYU or Tulane. Could Texas fill a schedule with SEC, B1G, ACC and Pac 12 teams? Texas vs S Mississippi or E Carolina would not be big draw, IMO.
I think aTm, Mizzou, Bama, and UF wouldn't.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Selma's analogy is flawed - Texas is Hogan. Not sure if he OU equivalent - maybe the Kliq.

Could even argue that Jericho, Guerrero, Benoit are analogous to TCU, OSU, Baylor in that those are legit competitors if it weren't for preferential treatment of UT and OU.

Flair and Sting were always draws unless the booking was bad.
Fair points. And Hogan (Texas) always demanding "control"

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If we really are going to do this...

WCW (aka Big 12)

Vince Russo-Bob Bowbsley

Hogan- Texas

Flair-KSU

Sting- Kansas

DDP- Baylor

Hart- OU

Scott Hall- Okie Lite

Nash- TCU

Roddy Piper- TTU

The Giant- WVU

Rey Mysterio- ISU

Goldberg- aTm

Macho Man- Nebraska

Eddie Guerrero -Colorado

Jericho- Mizzou

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm sorry, but if you are going to make the wrestling references do it right. Most of the remaining Big 12 members are jobbers. Texas has nothing to do with why Baylor and Oklahoma St. suck. Almost all they have ever done for the entirety of their existence is suck. Iowa St.? Come on, they'd absolutely be a no-name that loses every match. Etc...

Last edited:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
If we really are going to do this...

WCW (aka Big 12)

Vince Russo-Bob Bowbsley

Hogan- Texas

Flair-KSU

Sting- Kansas

DDP- Baylor

Hart- OU

Scott Hall- Okie Lite

Nash- TCU

Roddy Piper- TTU

The Giant- WVU

Rey Mysterio- ISU

Goldberg- aTm

Macho Man- Nebraska

Eddie Guerrero -Colorado

Jericho- Mizzou
Sorry but none of this makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Sorry but none of this makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I had blue font on my phone everything would be in blue font. Selma's point was the WCW and the Big 12 are and were brands of old, decrepit, and predictable front powers and non existent and forgettable back power. And how the stars ran the show. It made sense

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
If I had blue font on my phone everything would be in blue font. Selma's point was the WCW and the Big 12 are and were brands of old, decrepit, and predictable front powers and non existent and forgettable back power. And how the stars ran the show. It made sense
Texas - Wal Mart

Oklahoma - Sam's Club

Okie Lite - Target

TCU - K Mart

W Va - J C Penny

Kansas - Dirt Cheap

Kansas St - Sears

Texas Tech - Dollar Tree

Iowa St - Big Lots

Baylor - Woolworth

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
SEC Network is available on 3 of the 4 national packages. The only one it's not available on is the basic package. Longhorn Network is not available on any National package.

That is why SEC Network did not show up as a regional sports network. It is national, while Longhorn Network is regional.

On a Texas A&M board they are talking about LHN not being on any national package on Direct TV -- only regional. LOL.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
DESTIN, Fla. -- Fans who want to see TCU open its season against Arkansas won't have to dig through the TV guide to find the right channel.

The Horned Frogs will be featured as the first game of the SEC on CBS broadcast schedule. TCU plays the Razorbacks at 2:30 p.m. on Sept. 9, the network announced Tuesday.

It'll be the first game with Brad Nessler as the play-by-play announcer. Nessler takes over for Verne Lundquist, who retired from the role after last season.

Last season, the teams played in Fort Worth on ESPN in a thrilling double-overtime game. The Razorbacks knocked off the then-No. 15 Horned Frogs, 41-38.

It'll be TCU's first network TV appearance since 2014, when coach Gary Patterson's team finished the season ranked third in the final Associated Press poll.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...rolling-money-needs-find-success-gridiron?f=r

Goodness. TCU has not been on network TV since 2014? No wonder the conference is in trouble.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
DESTIN, Fla. -- Fans who want to see TCU open its season against Arkansas won't have to dig through the TV guide to find the right channel.

The Horned Frogs will be featured as the first game of the SEC on CBS broadcast schedule. TCU plays the Razorbacks at 2:30 p.m. on Sept. 9, the network announced Tuesday.

It'll be the first game with Brad Nessler as the play-by-play announcer. Nessler takes over for Verne Lundquist, who retired from the role after last season.

Last season, the teams played in Fort Worth on ESPN in a thrilling double-overtime game. The Razorbacks knocked off the then-No. 15 Horned Frogs, 41-38.

It'll be TCU's first network TV appearance since 2014, when coach Gary Patterson's team finished the season ranked third in the final Associated Press poll.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...rolling-money-needs-find-success-gridiron?f=r

Goodness. TCU has not been on network TV since 2014? No wonder the conference is in trouble.
Not sure what the writer considers "network TV."

In 2015, TCU had 2 games on ABC, 3 on FOX, 3 on ESPN, 4 on FS1 or FSN, and 1 on ESPN2.

In 2016, TCU had 3 games on ESPN, 2 on FOX, 4 on FS1, 2 on ESPN2 or ESPNU, and a game was the ABC/ESPN2 regional broadcast.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Not sure what the writer considers "network TV."

In 2015, TCU had 2 games on ABC, 3 on FOX, 3 on ESPN, 4 on FS1 or FSN, and 1 on ESPN2.

In 2016, TCU had 3 games on ESPN, 2 on FOX, 4 on FS1, 2 on ESPN2 or ESPNU, and a game was the ABC/ESPN2 regional broadcast.
Network TV would be non-cable I'd assume. So if they've played on ABC (national) and FOX I'd assume the writer is just wrong.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.