Black commencement at Harvard

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
This seems like a good idea.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5911cbe4e4b050bdca5f702d

In addition to its past, the university is also addressing some of its current issues. While the school’s admission rates for black students rose to 13.7 percent for the class of 2020 ― higher than previous years ― many have said that microaggressions, a lack of diversity and a lack of acknowledging how racism factors in certain curriculums (e.g. law) create a disadvantage.

“Harvard’s institutional foundation is in direct conflict with the needs of black students,” Woods told The Root. “There is a legacy of slavery, epistemic racism and colonization at Harvard, which was an institution founded to train rising imperialist leaders. This is a history that we are reclaiming.”

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Segregation is back in full force except this time it's the blacks asking for it. I truly wonder how people like MLK and others, who spent there life fighting to be treated equal and end things like segregation, would feel about the way things are going these days. The young people demanding all this crap today think they understand what their ancestors went through but, they don't have a clue. They are asking for the very things their ancestors fought against.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I have reached the stage in life that I really don't care about a lot of things, and this is one of them. Let them have a black commencement if that is what they want. Also Harvard can have a separate commencement for Asian Americans, Native Americans, LGBT Americans and any other fill-in-the-Americans that want one. We all know the problem and we all know how it will end, so move on nothing to see here.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
They will participate in the traditional ceremony two days later. They raised the money for their own event. Ain't no biggie. Let 'em have their own party.

from the Boston Globe link in the original article.

Two days before Courtney Woods dresses in a cap and gown for Harvard’s traditional commencement, she will don a stole made of African kente cloth and address the crowd at a somewhat different event: a graduation ceremony for black students.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I think it's a great way to set an example of inclusiveness and community. Things like this should go a long ways in promoting harmony and peace between the races. Brilliant idea.
Agreed. As GTide suggested above, maybe it would be a good thing for all the various races, genders, non-genders, ethnicities, sexual preferences (and every other way we can divide folks up) to have their own exclusive their own commencement. How could it not be?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Agreed. As GTide suggested above, maybe it would be a good thing for all the various races, genders, non-genders, ethnicities, sexual preferences (and every other way we can divide folks up) to have their own exclusive their own commencement. How could it not be?
I'd almost guarantee if you were to ask those participating in or advocating this commencement if they were for equality, inclusiveness and all the hot politically correct social buzz words that are thrown around today. They would say "yes", They "stood for" those things. Yet have no problem doing something like this. They must have southern baptist roots. They're real "good" about proclaiming to the world what they stand for then turning around and doing exactly the opposite. I bet these graduates are southern baptist.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.