Link: South Carolina has replaced the bye week prior to Bama games.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Three teams in 2017 have been scheduled to play SC the week before playing Bama. In the past they probably would have been given an open date in which to schedule an OOC game or take a bye. Those were the ONLY three that were not given open dates prior to Bama in 2017. Vanderbilt scheduled Kansas State, Ole Miss took a bye, LSU took a bye, MSU scheduled UMass, and the barn scheduled Mercer.

The three are consecutive opponents on Bama's schedule. aTm, Ark, and ut. I think I may have just become a closet SC fan. :biggrin:

http://cdn.fbschedules.com/helmets/2017-sec-helmet-schedule.pdf

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
This was a smart move on S Carolina's part. Three teams will no doubt have their main focus on #1 Alabama when they play them. Go Cocks.
South Carolina had nothing to do with it. Conference schedule is made by the SEC office. The SEC would rather have given those teams open dates.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
It's no secret teams schedule an OOC patsy or an outright bye whenever possible the week before Alabama. Dating back to the Kramer regime 20 years ago, the disparity is staggering.

Recently, Alabama's bye has been before LSU. Which, not coincidentally, has a bye that same week.

For Google or Selma....when's the last time Alabama had a bye the week before an SEC game when the opponent played an SEC opponent or a credible OOC game the week prior?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
South Carolina had nothing to do with it. Conference schedule is made by the SEC office. The SEC would rather have given those teams open dates.
If the SEC makes the schedule and wants those teams to have a bye ..... then why didn't they give them one?

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
For Google or Selma....when's the last time Alabama had a bye the week before an SEC game when the opponent played an SEC opponent or a credible OOC game the week prior?
In 2012 Mizzou played Vandy (I know...) the week before playing Bama while Bama was off. Every other season since 2007 Bama's next opponent has had a bye the same weekend as Bama.

That's quite an anomaly when compared to the other teams. But remember, the SEC gives Bama all the breaks...

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I the SEC makes the schedule and wants those teams to have a bye ..... then why didn't they give them one?
With the 3 bye maximum it is now pointless. I have been tracking this (open dates prior to Bama games) since the SEC took over the scheduling in 1992. I doubt if it is even possible for them to give all 8 of Bama's opponents an open date because the most ever given was seven. Trust me, if they could give all of them one they would have done it. Most years it has been 6 with 3 or 4 taking a bye and 3 or 2 scheduling an OOC game. Bama would complain each year. Nothing would be done and life would go on. In 2010 all 6 of them used the open date for a bye and the SEC got egg all over it's face. 2010 precipitated the aforementioned 3 bye maximum.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
It's no secret teams schedule an OOC patsy or an outright bye whenever possible the week before Alabama. Dating back to the Kramer regime 20 years ago, the disparity is staggering.

Recently, Alabama's bye has been before LSU. Which, not coincidentally, has a bye that same week.

No Google or Selma. Just a helmet schedule is all that's necessary.

In 2016 Kentucky played, wait for it, South Carolina prior to Bama. Both ut and MSU played aTm.

http://cdn.fbschedules.com/helmets/2016-sec-helmet-schedule.pdf

Edit: Now I see you said bye for Bama prior to that. The 2012 case is probably the only time. SEC was forced to do many things that year it had never done before because of the expansion. It has happened many times for ut prior to Bama. In fact Bama has played 4 or 5 straight Conference games several times prior to ut with them with a bye.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
In 2012 Mizzou played Vandy (I know...) the week before playing Bama while Bama was off. Every other season since 2007 Bama's next opponent has had a bye the same weekend as Bama.

That's quite an anomaly when compared to the other teams. But remember, the SEC gives Bama all the breaks...
I was actually at that Alabama -Missouri game, in Columbia. Started raining on our way to the stadium. I didn't mind so much when Eddie Lacy broke a 75-yard TD run on our first play.

I had a huge time bellowing (to the best of my limited ability), "Grown man football!" In reply to their DL, who had referred to the SEC as, "Old man football." I know he regretted those words, and Patterson made him issue a public retraction. But it was too late, and I had a lot of fun.

Also, weirdest ending I ever expect to see (and I was in the stadium for 2013 barn).

Game was delayed late in the 3rd quarter for a storm that seemed at the time under the deluge to be on the order of Noah's flood. I was soaked to the skin.

Then, toward the end, Mizzou returned a KO with less than 3:00 to go. Returner had a neck injury, thankfully later diagnosed as a non-issue. But he was on his back for a while, and they brought out all sorts of medical equipment. Several minutes' delay. When he was carted off, nobody on either side wanted any more.

Mizzou knelt the play clock out, even on 4th down. So they could turn the ball over to us. Whereupon we did the right thing, and knelt the clock out to end the game.

I've never seen that before, and expect never to do so again.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I give 'em credit that's smart scheduling & I'd damn sure would do the same thing if I had to play us as well..It's almost a necessity as you play the SEC Gauntlet in the meat of our schedules..

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
I give 'em credit that's smart scheduling & I'd damn sure would do the same thing if I had to play us as well..It's almost a necessity as you play the SEC Gauntlet in the meat of our schedules..
This is the sec office not the programs

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Florida plays FSU the week before they face Bama (again) in Atlanta.

After FSU gets processed by Bama in the opener...that would count the same as a bye week for Florida, wouldn't it?

:tongue:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Florida plays FSU the week before they face Bama (again) in Atlanta.

After FSU gets processed by Bama in the opener...that would count the same as a bye week for Florida, wouldn't it?

:tongue:
Bama will play someone (perhaps FSU) in the Rose Bowl (less likely) or Sugar Bowl (more likely) before they play in Atlanta again.

2017-2018

Playoff Semifinals

Rose Bowl
Jan. 1
Sugar Bowl
Jan. 1

National Championship

Atlanta, GA
Monday, Jan. 8

Edit: NM. I realize now your "they" was Florida and not FSU.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.