News Article: Star Trek Discovery Date Delayed

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
It annoys me to no end that they are forcing this series into TOS time line, instead of 100 years post Pine and his crew. Do we really need to see what happens between Enterprise and TOS? Put them in the future of Pine and his crew and you open up new possibilities, time lines, etc.

Mini-Rant over.

With as many delays that has happen with the show, I am not holding my breathe that it makes it to air.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think it is pretty clear that this series is a trainwreck and they probably need to go back to square 1.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
That article is just click bait with no new information presented. We've known since January that the series was delay until the fall and, so far, that hasn't changed. In fact, filming is well underway at this point and, on a May 5 investment call, it was announced that at least 2 episodes are in the can.

I'm getting excited I hope it's a good show. ST has always been at its best when it is on TV. I'm currently in season 6 of another binge of DS9, my favorite Trek series!

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
That article is just click bait with no new information presented. We've known since January that the series was delay until the fall and, so far, that hasn't changed. In fact, filming is well underway at this point and, on a May 5 investment call, it was announced that at least 2 episodes are in the can.

I'm getting excited I hope it's a good show. ST has always been at its best when it is on TV. I'm currently in season 6 of another binge of DS9, my favorite Trek series!
I'm a fan of DS9 as well.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I liked DS9 a lot just based on over arching plots and character development. I haven't watched enough of the Enterprise series to rank it. Voyager grew on me. TNG was good but followed the same basic premise is TOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I liked Voyager least, and I'd be hard pressed to put the original series that far down the list especially given that The Next Generation builds upon its genius.
The placement of TOS depends heavily on age, I think. I grew up with TNG and only saw scattered reruns of TOS, so it didn't have the same effect on me. Voyager and DS9 both had rocky starts, but gained solid footing after a few seasons. Enterprise only had one good story arc.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
For some reason TNG is my least favorite. I can never really put my finger on why though. I like the show, it's just my least favorite of the bunch. Honestly, I think it has to do with the characters. Outside of Data and Picard, they are all under developed IMO. Of course, the same can be said for TOS as well besides Kirk, Spock and maybe Bones. It may be because I was introduced to Trek through the original movies, then TOS. DS9 and Voyager were the first series I followed on a regular basis before I even really watched all of TNG.

Here is my rank:

1 - DS9
2 - TOS
3 - Voy
4 - Ent
5 - TNG

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
TNG is almost two different series and the dividing line is sadly Gene Roddenberry's stepping back from the day-to-day (and passing not so long after). When Ronald Moore kinda took a charge over the writer's room, TNG changed tonally just slightly and had a better focus on the overall arc of the show with a slight bit of serialization to the story. Roddenberry seemed to just want to recapture the planet/being/beast of the week magic of TOS and it wasn't really clicking. As bad as the first two seasons are when I rewatch TNG, I am kind of surprised that it made it to third season but I suppose I just can't appreciate how it fits into the context of late 1980s television.

DS9 seems like the kind of show that couldn't even been made today because it was so nuanced with the characterization of terrorism. No place for that in today's world. Can't have the race central to the series having some very much ISIS or Al Queda undertones to their backstory. This was probably the peak of Ronald Moore's guidance over the series and it shows...almost the perfect TV science fiction show. Just enough grit. Just enough futurist optimism.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I was a fan of a few of the series but overall, can't say I would put TOS high on the "best list." DS9 was a solid series. Voyager.......had the most untapped potential of any ST series. They went safe when they had a chance to go bold. TNG was split for me. Pre-Locutus (aka cold Picard) the series sucked and quite frankly the first three seasons do not aged well. Post-Locutus, the series got better. As for Enterprise, like Voyager so much untapped potential. It was cursed because it came before Kirk's Enterprise, time line wise. Admitted the series got better in mid S3 to S4, but that crap ending (Enterprise series finale was basically a side-story to Riker internal conflict during the Pegasus incident) left a bad taste in my mouth.

In a best of, I think all the series are roughly the same. None of the shows stand above the other to me.

With the trailer of Discovery coming out, oh man, they screwed up royally by forcing it into TOS time line. If it was before Pine's Kirk time line, I could buy it, but they really forcing it into the Shatner/Kirk really something fierce and that is going to doom that show. Discovery would work so much better running concurrently with the film series (think Agents of Shield to the MCU).

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
For some reason TNG is my least favorite. I can never really put my finger on why though. I like the show, it's just my least favorite of the bunch. Honestly, I think it has to do with the characters. Outside of Data and Picard, they are all under developed IMO. Of course, the same can be said for TOS as well besides Kirk, Spock and maybe Bones. It may be because I was introduced to Trek through the original movies, then TOS. DS9 and Voyager were the first series I followed on a regular basis before I even really watched all of TNG.

Here is my rank:

1 - DS9
2 - TOS
3 - Voy
4 - Ent
5 - TNG
I found the Riker actor's delivery rather stilted.

Regarding TNG in general, "The Inner Light" is one of the best Star Trek episodes ever. The emotion of the episode is palpable.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
"The Inner Light" was one of the best episodes they wrote.

Also, the symmetry between the first and last TNG episodes, both presenting the unending trial of humanity, is among the strongest storytelling in any TV franchise.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
I completely agree about "The Inner Light", that is Trek at it's best.

There are 2 DS9 Episodes that I think are right up there with "The Inner Light", both from season 6 as well. "Far Beyond the Stars" and "In the Pale Moonlight" are fantastic episodes.

First trailer for Star Trek: Discovery was released yesterday:

For a series that is suppose to be set in the prime universe, it sure does look a lot like the JJ verse IMO. I understand why they are doing it, the new movies were hits, maybe not huge hits, and TV audiences expect things to look modern these days. I honestly don't have a problem with the look either, I actually think it looks great and feels more cinematic in that trailer then any other Trek series. My problem is it being set 10 years before Kirk, the thing is going to be a continuity nightmare to the rest of Trek. None of that would be much of an issue if they had just set the series after Voyager.

Oh well, it really all comes down to the writing and the story they want to tell. If the scripts are good and the stories are entertaining then I'll enjoy the show just like I enjoyed the last 2 season of Enterprise. In the end, while continuity things bug me a little, I don't get too worked up over them like some fans do and will enjoy the show, if it is good, regardless of how it fits in with the rest of Trek. Hey, I enjoy all 3 of the new movies, even with there flaws.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.