Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 *** no spoilers***

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Just got through seeing it, and I think it borders the good and great ranking for me, but not epic like the first.

The Great:

Kurt Russell, Starlord, Yondu, and Nebulla are the best parts of the movie. They all give deep performances, and make you like all of them.

The action is great like the first one.

The mythology added to the GoG is super.

all other stuff falls into real spoiler territory so I'll post in a spoiler thread if we do one.

The Meh:

The other characters are just watered down versions of themselves. Yes Rocket throws some funny jokes, and Drax has his funny dumb moments like the first one but most of the time they fall flat and are awkward. They were good, but not as great as they were in the first one. The four I named at the top are the driving force in the movie.

Not all of the the storylines have good closure. The main one does, but the other ones feel rushed

Soundtrack isn't as great

Some of villains (spoiler territory to expand)

The Bad:

Some of the cameos feel very weird and unnecessary

Overall it's a solid movie, but nowhere near as epic imo. 8/10

Last edited:

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
I enjoyed it, but I thought they could have cut out 1/3 of the jokes (especially the entire taserface bit) and it would have been a better movie.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I give it a 5.5/6 out of ten

felt like the Marvel execs sat around in a board room writing this movie by creating a list of what everyone liked in 1 and then giving us 1.5 to 2x of everything on the list

like Drax stupid jokes? How any did we have before 4 of them? Ok lets do 8

liked the soundtrack do 2x that

like rocket 2x that

in the end it bored me and the villian was even more meh than most marvel movies

also like Yondu, nebula,

hated baby groot

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I give it a 5.5/6 out of ten

felt like the Marvel execs sat around in a board room writing this movie by creating a list of what everyone liked in 1 and then giving us 1.5 to 2x of everything on the list

like Drax stupid jokes? How any did we have before 4 of them? Ok lets do 8

liked the soundtrack do 2x that

like rocket 2x that

in the end it bored me and the villian was even more meh than most marvel movies

also like Yondu, nebula,

hated baby groot
I think they were really trying for Guardians of the Galaxy's version of Empire Strikes Back with the no linear story arc and the tone. I think I was more entertained by the acting of the 4 I mentioned more than the story. I think the lesson they should really learn from this is that the Guardians play jokes better off each other than other people. Drax was the glaring eyesore imo.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I think they were really trying for Guardians of the Galaxy's version of Empire Strikes Back with the no linear story arc and the tone. I think I was more entertained by the acting of the 4 I mentioned more than the story. I think the lesson they should really learn from this is that the Guardians play jokes better off each other than other people. Drax was the glaring eyesore imo.
agree

I loved Drax in the first one but hated him in this

thought Kurt Russell was perfect but wasted

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
thought Kurt Russell was perfect but wasted
I thought he was great overall, but his character sometimes felt like I was watching the Corusant scene from the phantom menace in that the exposition is sometimes boring because nothing else is going on elsewhere.

But I think if I talk any further about Kurt Russell's character it may be considered a mid level to major spoiler. So unless someone is down for a spoiler thread right now I wont say anything further about his character, otherwise Ill make one after this weekend if someone wants it.

I loved Drax in the first one but hated him in this
I think it mostly goes back to my take that the guardians play off each other better, and they made a mistake in breaking the story into many separate parts. While the other guardians had great pairings with strong characters, Drax was paired with a character that was just as dumb as him. Its like watching a version of Tommy Boy that replaces David Spade with zach galifianakis. Its dumb joke bouncing off dumb joke bouncing off dumb joke. They really needed someone like Rocket or Gamora to bounce his jokes off of.

Ranking the main characters

Tier 1: The Great

1. Yondu
2. Nebula
3. Star Lord
4. Kurt Russell

Tier 2: The Ok
5. Rocket
6. Yondu's right hand man
7. Gamora

Tier 3: The bad
8. Baby Groot
9. Drax story counterpart
10. Drax

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I thought he was great overall, but his character sometimes felt like I was watching the Corusant scene from the phantom menace in that the exposition is sometimes boring because nothing else is going on elsewhere.

But I think if I talk any further about Kurt Russell's character it may be considered a mid level to major spoiler. So unless someone is down for a spoiler thread right now I wont say anything further about his character, otherwise Ill make one after this weekend if someone wants it.

I think it mostly goes back to my take that the guardians play off each other better, and they made a mistake in breaking the story into many separate parts. While the other guardians had great pairings with strong characters, Drax was paired with a character that was just as dumb as him. Its like watching a version of Tommy Boy that replaces David Spade with zach galifianakis. Its dumb joke bouncing off dumb joke bouncing off dumb joke. They really needed someone like Rocket or Gamora to bounce his jokes off of.

Ranking the main characters

Tier 1: The Great

1. Yondu
2. Nebula
3. Star Lord
4. Kurt Russell

Tier 2: The Ok
5. Rocket
6. Yondu's right hand man
7. Gamora

Tier 3: The bad
8. Baby Groot
9. Drax story counterpart
10. Drax
#6 is named Kraglin and I'd place him higher, he was a bright spot. Played by Jame Gunn's brother

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Definitely not up to the first but still really enjoyed it.

The jokes didn't bother me at all & Drax cracks me up. If you don't like him or Baby Groot you're definitely in for a long movie though, lol

Soundtrack other than 2-3 songs was a big letdown for me.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
We really enjoyed it. I feel the first movie had all things needed for an epic movie. This movie was lacking a little bit in some areas. With that said, I think this movie was hilarious. We were laughing like crazy in the theatre. It was definitely a fun movie.

Last edited:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
We really enjoyed it. I feel the first movie had all things needed for an epic movie. This movie was lacking a little bit in some areas. With that said, I think this movie was hilarious. We were laughing like crazy in the theatre. It was definitely a fun movie.
That was us. Loved them both but I found vol 2 funnier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Vol. 2 was overkill on the laughs and not enough story. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.