Any Big Green Eggr's out there? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Any Big Green Eggr's out there?

This is a pay site that I subscribe to and the e-mails they send you are worth the money. His book "Meathead" is also worth the money IMHO.

https://amazingribs.com/pitmaster-club

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American crimsonkelly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ddsmit View Post
    Yes I have one that is almost as old as my BGE (BBQ Guru) https://bbqguru.com/
    ok, just saw this, I have an Akorn grill, basically the really cheap version of the BGE and others. It does a solid job but I have yet to try things that take more than a couple hours due to keeping temp stable. I have managed to keep mine at 350 +/- 5 degrees for 3 hours before, but it kept me busy!

May have to save me a couple hundred and give this a whirl! Thanks for posting.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonkelly View Post
    ok, just saw this, I have an Akorn grill, basically the really cheap version of the BGE and others. It does a solid job but I have yet to try things that take more than a couple hours due to keeping temp stable. I have managed to keep mine at 350 +/- 5 degrees for 3 hours before, but it kept me busy!

I have an digital wireless thermometer that lets me know the temperature inside the egg and also has a meat thermometer. Once I get the egg set up and the temperature stabilized, it does not vary for long periods of time. I've gone to bed overnight with the receiver next to my bed with an alarm if the temperature drifts out of a set range and have not had my sleep interrupted. This is without any add-ons; just the standard Big Green Egg. The ability to maintain a constant temperature for a long period of time with no maintenance is what impressed me the most.

You wont regret it, some of the pork butts I've smoked have lasted 15+ hours @ 225 degrees and the Guru kept it right on the money.

You wont regret it, some of the pork butts I've smoked have lasted 15+ hours @ 225 degrees and the Guru kept it right on the money.
    I am sold, believe me, my main question now is, how much lump do you put in to keep it going for so long?? I like the FOGO lump, but at 55 a bag, it can get exspensive. I have been known to use it and mix it up with some the cheaper cowboy from lowes. I also like to add some real chunks of pecan, apple, oak, hickory, or dogwood just to make it interesting!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

I am sold, believe me, my main question now is, how much lump do you put in to keep it going for so long?? I like the FOGO lump, but at 55 a bag, it can get exspensive. I have been known to use it and mix it up with some the cheaper cowboy from lowes. I also like to add some real chunks of pecan, apple, oak, hickory, or dogwood just to make it interesting!

I just fill it up to the top of the fire ring @ 225 it won't use much, you'll probably have about 1/2 of it left.

I just fill it up to the top of the fire ring @ 225 it won't use much, you'll probably have about 1/2 of it left.
    gotcha, thanks! Christmas break starts in less than 2 days for me, so time to get at it!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

BamaNation Hall of Fame 2003TIDE's Avatar

I go with the komado joe lump and it works pretty well. For ~$20 I get a decent number of cooks out of it. Some of the chunks are the size of my forearm. But yeah fill it up and just use whatever is left on the next cook. I've filled my large up and run it for 14hrs before and still had enough in it to crank it up to 350 for chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    I go with the komado joe lump and it works pretty well. For ~$20 I get a decent number of cooks out of it. Some of the chunks are the size of my forearm. But yeah fill it up and just use whatever is left on the next cook. I've filled my large up and run it for 14hrs before and still had enough in it to crank it up to 350 for chickens.
    I have bought Big Green Egg charcoal before for about $20 a bag but I found out that BGE charcoal was made by Royal Oak which is quiet a bit less expensive and just as good. I don't know if you've used the Naked Whiz website but it has some useful information for ceramic grills and they test and rate lump charcoal. Here's the link if you don't have it.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
    Last edited by ddsmit; February 10th, 2018 at 10:54 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I have bought Big Green Egg charcoal before for about $20 a bag but I found out that BGE charcoal was made by Royal Oak which is quiet a bit less expensive and just as good. I don't know if you've used the Naked Whiz website but it has some useful information for ceramic grills and they test and rate lump charcoal. Here's the link if you don't have it.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
    I was buying Red Oak at Walmart but have not seen it lately and they now have a different brand. I bought a few bags last spring at Home Depot for me and my son when they had a big sale on it; I think around $9 for a 15 lb bag.

Quote Originally Posted by day-day View Post
    I was buying Red Oak at Walmart but have not seen it lately and they now have a different brand. I bought a few bags last spring at Home Depot for me and my son when they had a big sale on it; I think around $9 for a 15 lb bag.
    day_day I started having trouble finding Royal Oak @ Walmart here in Pensacola last year, they must have discontinued it. I have used Publix lump with some success but the last 2 bags I bought had a lot of small pieces but it'll do in a pinch. On a side note I just bought a bag of Best of the west Mesquite lump but have not tried it yet. We smoke pork butts several times a year and some of the pulled pork we use for Carnitas and have the neighbors over. Cant wait to try it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Royal Oak Lump charcoal is back at my neighborhood Walmart.

I bought Rockwood Premium lump charcoal for a premium price from a local BBQ store. I don't mind spending a little more occasionally at a locally owned store; it is also the only place I can find my rub. Rockwood lump is really good; hot and very little ash. I'll probably alternate to support my Walmart stock and to support the locally owned BBQ store.