Any Big Green Eggr's out there?
Thanks Thanks:  0 Dislike Dislike:  0 Roll Tide! Roll Tide!:  0 Ha Ha! Ha Ha!:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame theballguy's Avatar
    Behind is in Colorado Springs, heart in Alabama

Any Big Green Eggr's out there?

Anyone smoke and grill with a Big Green Egg out there? We've had a medium sized one for a few years now. We love grilling anything on it. Very forgiving for the noobie griller and continues to return quality over time.
    I know what it takes to win. If I can sell them on what it takes to win, then we are not going to lose too many football games. - Coach Paul Bryant and I can see Coach Nick Saban agreeing completely.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Any Big Green Eggr's out there?

The Big Green Egg is amazing for smoking; provides consistent temperature control over a long period of time.

My wife bought me a large one several years ago before I even knew what one was. I really like it except I wish I could fit ribs on it better. I kind of wish I had the extra-large.

I tried a new (new to me) method of cooking steaks on it recently and they came out super. Basically heat it up to around max open on vents (about 650F) using direct cooking. Put steaks on, close lid and cook for 2 minutes; open lid (be careful), flip steaks, close lid and cook for 2 minutes; open lid, flip steaks, close lid, shut all vents, let cook for 2 to 4 minutes then remove steaks.
    Last edited by day-day; May 17th, 2017 at 08:20 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame theballguy's Avatar
    Behind is in Colorado Springs, heart in Alabama

Yeah, ribs can be a bit of a pain as far as getting them all on. I usually go with baby-back ribs and they fit fine on a medium one. I'm cooking a butt today on it and next weekend, hope to smoke a brisket. I think a lot of the smokers out there are finally starting to catch up ;-) but I wouldn't trade mine for anything right now :-)
    I know what it takes to win. If I can sell them on what it takes to win, then we are not going to lose too many football games. - Coach Paul Bryant and I can see Coach Nick Saban agreeing completely.

I've got a large BGE that's 10 years old and we love it. Cooking ribs can be a little easier with a V-rack You can invert it and cook up to 6 racks of ribs a one time.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_8drik8e0lq_b

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by ddsmit View Post
    I've got a large BGE that's 10 years old and we love it. Cooking ribs can be a little easier with a V-rack You can invert it and cook up to 6 racks of ribs a one time.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_8drik8e0lq_b
    I have used this on my large with some success but I'm not thrilled with it. Two issues I have are that some slabs will be in contact with others while cooking and some of the ribs will get extra heat on the ends where the air gaps of the placesetter allows heat to flow up from the coals. I probably need to get thinner ribs. Next time I may put something like toothpicks between the ribs to ensure air flows across all surfaces (any ideas?).

I cooked a couple of slabs two weeks ago using the regular grill and the grill extender and it worked out pretty well. I cut two slabs in half and put two halves on the grill and two on the extender. I was able to keep the ribs centered over the plate setter on which I also had a pan of apple juice.
    Last edited by day-day; June 13th, 2017 at 10:01 AM.

FB|BB Moderator

I'm not much of a griller, but have a friend who is. He has a large Green Egg and a smaller Komodo Joe.

Has a gadget he swears by. It's an electronic thermometer that has a connection to the vent on the grill. By opening and closing the vent, it can maintain a constant temperature over a long period of time, eliminating the need for a human to spend hours minding the smoker.

He uses it to smoke Boston butts overnight, and says it makes the job almost too easy.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    I'm not much of a griller, but have a friend who is. He has a large Green Egg and a smaller Komodo Joe.

Has a gadget he swears by. It's an electronic thermometer that has a connection to the vent on the grill. By opening and closing the vent, it can maintain a constant temperature over a long period of time, eliminating the need for a human to spend hours minding the smoker.

He uses it to smoke Boston butts overnight, and says it makes the job almost too easy.
    Yes I have one that is almost as old as my BGE (BBQ Guru) https://bbqguru.com/

Quote Originally Posted by day-day View Post
    I have used this on my large with some success but I'm not thrilled with it. Two issues I have are that some slabs will be in contact with others while cooking and some of the ribs will get extra heat on the ends where the air gaps of the placesetter allows heat to flow up from the coals. I probably need to get thinner ribs. Next time I may put something like toothpicks between the ribs to ensure air flows across all surfaces (any ideas?).

I cooked a couple of slabs two weeks ago using the regular grill and the grill extender and it worked out pretty well. I cut two slabs in half and put two halves on the grill and two on the extender. I was able to keep the ribs centered over the plate setter on which I also had a pan of apple juice.
    Day I use a drip pan that just barely fits inside the plate setter legs and has 2" high sides. My ribs do touch on the ends but I didn't have a problem with them burning. Maybe it was the large drip pan I just don't know. By the way your idea with toothpicks sounds good to me, I might try that next time. By the way I had the big drip pan sitting directly on the plate setter underneath the grate.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I cooked 3 slabs of pork loin back ribs this weekend using the place setter, pan of apple juice, grill top and grill extender(?) (whatever the extra grill is called that sits on the regular grill providing a second platform for my ribs). I cut each slab in half before cooking giving me 6 pieces which I was able to fit nicely onto the 2 grill tops. They cooked fairly evenly (took thinner pieces off about 20 minutes before the others). The ribs came out as good as I've ever cooked them.

This worked out well but I used to have a cooker that was more hassle but I could load up at least 12 full slabs if I wanted to. I would usually cook 6 or 9 which would get us through our cookout plus allow me to freeze some. I normally buy the slabs in packs of three.

The Egg made this so easy even with some unplanned events during the day; I pretty much ignored the Egg after the initial startup.
    Last edited by day-day; July 24th, 2017 at 04:42 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 2003TIDE's Avatar

I've got a Large Kamado Joe which was started by ex BGE employees I think. Ceramics grills are awesome. I really wish I had an XL though.

Interesting that BGE, Kamado Joe, and Primo are all within a few miles from each other over here. ATL is the ceramic grill mecca I guess. If I were a brisket guy I'd definitely go with the Primo. Plus it is actually made in the USA. BGE is made in Mexico and Kamado Joe is made in China.

Big Green Egg owner here. You might find the Egg Forum helpful in your cooking. I have learned a lot on there. http://eggheadforum.com/categories
    " I THOUGHT THIS MUST BE WHAT GOD LOOKS LIKE."

GEORGE BLANDA
    in talking about Coach Paul Bryant

Alabama is 2- and 3-deep all over the place with full grown, meaner-than-he!! men. It's almost not fair making college kids play against them. Any Saban-coached team is going to be deep as he!! with recruits that have elite size, strength and experience at their position and they are going to play with incredible physicality.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 2003TIDE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROTYDE View Post
    Big Green Egg owner here. You might find the Egg Forum helpful in your cooking. I have learned a lot on there. http://eggheadforum.com/categories
    This is a good forum. I also always recommend The Virtual Web Bulletin Board. https://tvwbb.com/ It is for WSM users (also an awesome smoker), but it is an awesome resource for recipes and techniques that can be transferred to any smoker.

BamaNation Hall of Fame rolltide_21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    This is a good forum. I also always recommend The Virtual Web Bulletin Board. https://tvwbb.com/ It is for WSM users (also an awesome smoker), but it is an awesome resource for recipes and techniques that can be transferred to any smoker.
    Good recommendation. I have two WSMs I use for personal use and catering. Great smokers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk